I am not complaining,Im just surprised thats all !!

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not complaining,I'm just surprised that's all !!

I doubled up on my weekly order of halves this week. 28,000 (14 Bags)(700 + pounds). Out of this little pile I was able to pull 59(40%ers). That is one big $hitload of work for so few keepers. I can't wait to see the look on the dump bank tellers,this should be priceless.
I guess I will just have to wait another week to own all the silver. Cheers to All ! Jim

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Re: I am not complaining,I'm just surprised that's all !!

coolpix9 said:
I doubled up on my weekly order of halves this week. 28,000 (14 Bags)(700 + pounds). Out of this little pile I was able to pull 59(40%ers). That is one big $hitload of work for so few keepers. I can't wait to see the look on the dump bank tellers,this should be priceless.
I guess I will just have to wait another week to own all the silver. Cheers to All ! Jim

Only 59 coins out of 28 boxes, that is pretty bad.

With all the CRHing going on, most if not all of the old silver sitting in vaults and warehouses has been taken. Only so much trickles in each day. Once a person cashes in the old piggy bank of silver coins they have no more to cash in.

Unless you can find a town that does not have a CRHer, it is gonna be hard to find decent amounts in the future. I am happy now if a box has a couple of keepers. In the old days that would be like a skunk box.

Jim

S

seger98

That's an aweful lot of searching for 59 keepers :-\

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

it helps to do volume as i have found out, but in the end it is all just luck of the draw.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

Like LJ says:

That's 59 more than you had yesterday!

silvercop said:
it helps to do volume as i have found out, but in the end it is all just luck of the draw.

So true - I got a dream box yesterday with 225 - 40%r's and 2 - 64's.
Luck of the draw... ;D

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

And don't forget all the FUN you had going through those coins. Although with that many in one week I think the fun goes away and it starts to feel more like a JOB. Yeah, been there, done that. Took my metal detector and got some contracts from insurance companies to find lost items for finder's fees. Great idea. But I was looking for a lot of items, and it started to feel like my job instead of fun. Especially after a tornado, when four companies all wanted me to work immediately on THEIR claims. It was profitable, but it took a lot of the FUN out of it.

So be careful not to overdue it TOO much. Or the joy will disappear. This hoby is profitbale, but also needs to be fun. ;D

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

jrf30 said:
And don't forget all the FUN you had going through those coins. Although with that many in one week I think the fun goes away and it starts to feel more like a JOB. Yeah, been there, done that. Took my metal detector and got some contracts from insurance companies to find lost items for finder's fees. Great idea. But I was looking for a lot of items, and it started to feel like my job instead of fun. Especially after a tornado, when four companies all wanted me to work immediately on THEIR claims. It was profitable, but it took a lot of the FUN out of it.

So be careful not to overdue it TOO much. Or the joy will disappear. This hoby is profitbale, but also needs to be fun. ;D

Maybe it is just me, but I find no joy in searching the coins unless I find keepers. To me it is the finding that is fun. When I get a skunk box I feel absolutely no joy. And I will feel like I have wasted time, since I then have to dump the rejects.

Jim

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang that sucks, better luck next time!!!! :thumbsup:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

jim4silver said:
Maybe it is just me, but I find no joy in searching the coins unless I find keepers. To me it is the finding that is fun. When I get a skunk box I feel absolutely no joy. And I will feel like I have wasted time, since I then have to dump the rejects.

Jim

That's why I do so many pennies. I FIND things. I'm doing halves too, but only 3 boxes a week, and I do them (don't tell anyone) ostly while DRIVING. I open them up and dump them in a box on my lap while driving, and each stop light or destination where I need to wait or whatever I go through the box and pull them out and go through them. NOrmally by time I get home form my trip I am done with a full box. Sometimes two. But out of 9 boxes this year, SEVEN were silver skunks so far. That's my norm out here. It sucks. But I do it for the rare ones I get. And I do the pennies at home. I unwrap mostly while watching TV with the wife. Takes zero time, since that is down time anyway. I run them through the Ryedale when I can, and that is the only time I really use. My dump bnk holds the record for shortest time to dump, which is great. I dump $103 of pennies (rejects form $125 to start, after about 17% coppers) in about 2 minutes. Dump $500 in halves in about the same time. NICE. ALthouhg I wish I dumped ... $470 in halves ... and had 60 keepers. LOL.

But I agree. Finding nothing is not good nor fun.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

...and then there are CRHers like me, living in the boondocks with no coin machines that count half dollars and I have to RE-ROLL them ALL after I search.

My bank got a machine that does pennies, dimes, nicks and quarters, finally. So after doing this hobby for a long time and having to re-roll ALL THE COINS, it's awesome that now I can have the machine do at least everything but halves, and for no fees to boot.

So when I do many boxes worth, get completely skunked and have to re-roll them all back up, how do you think I feel? :P

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

like i said before crh is kind of like fishing, it's fun when you catch um and it is a bummer when you don't. well at least i don't get sunburned crh

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009

I agree with jrf30; keep it fun, and don't turn it into a job by overdoing it. A hobby should be enjoyable, if it feels too much like work maybe you should take a break or switch it up. I always keep a couple of penny boxes at home, because if I get skunked on silver, wheat cents will put a smile on my face.

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil

Hey Jim, 59 more to add to that super stash of silver you have tucked away :wink: ...keep dropping the hammer on those bags and you are due to hit the motherload it is just a matter of time until you hit a big silver vein, best of luck Ed

Btw nice pics that you post of your cute little crher to be . Is your partner in crime still picking coins with you ??

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other

Ed, he is still plugging along. I have this bad habit of salting some of the bags before bringing them up to the front of the car. He doesn't seem to notice the oddity of the bags having keepers near the top of the bags. It is the only way I can keep an 80 year old focused on the task at hand. I was thinking of a nice long road trip through Louisiana. See ya, Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread