1/26 little road trip

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to go pick up some stuff on the other side of the county today and I turned it into a short road trip. We stopped at 11 banks.

#1 $40, nothing
#2 $60 in riolls, $8.50 loose. Loose had nothing, first 4 rolls had a single 40%. The last two rolls looked old. JACKPOT! two solid rolls of 40% from 67-69.
#3 $2, nothing
#4 none
#5 they had a lot in the vault but wouldn't sell because I didn't have an account. They said it "was because if you have no account, then we have no transaction history with you. If we sold you currency and yours turned out to be stolen, we would have no way of finding you."
#6 $1.50 nothing
#7 $1.50 nothing
#8 $.50 nothing
#9 $660 in rolls, $1 loose. all assorted old rolls. got a little excited but it was all somone else's dumps.
#10 $2 nothing
#11 $7.50 nothing

total $785.50

41 keepers, all 40%ers

dumping tomorrow and picking up 2 weekly boxes(I hope).

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
That is a LAME excuse not to sell the coins to you. I mean really, they don't know what counterfeit paper currency looks like, then they shouldn't be working at a bank. LOL Of course we know they just didn't want to bother since you didn't bank with them regularly....pathetic. Who is it going to hurt to sell halves to...oh I know them...they didn't have a chance to search them for silver yet.

Congrats on the silver.

OP
OP
markmopar

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The teller was going to sell them to me. It was the head teller that started asking questions and coming up with the lame excuse.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
markmopar said:
The teller was going to sell them to me. It was the head teller that started asking questions and coming up with the lame excuse.
Yep, it was the head teller that hadn't a chance to search for silver yet, I've seen it before, and I know that it's done! If it's a small amount of loose, they'll cherry pick behind your back @#&*!!@!

OP
OP
markmopar

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:
I went to another branch of the same bank.
The tellers at this branch(3) all agreed with what that branch said(this was after I had already asked about halves and they had none and never asked if I had an account). They also said they "investigate" all new customers and that they have to know where all money comes from because of the Patriot Act and the paperwork that comes with it. I called my brother, who is a teller, and told him what they said and he about fell over laughing.
I asked "So how does any of that mean the money you take in isn't stolen? Who's to say the customer with an account didn't knock off the liqour store across town and deposit the cash here?" I got a blank stare.
I had to stop myself from laughing as I left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread