Best place to find NEW rolls straight from the mint?

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
I'm wondering what the best place to find brand new rolls straight from the mint would be. I know you can buy them straight from the mint at a premium, but what about after they ship the new coins to a fed bank to get them into circulation? Although I look for wheats and copper in pennies I am actually pretty excited about the new lincoln pennies and wouldn't mind getting at least a roll if not a box of them. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had hit-and-miss luck in the past just asking a bank if they had any rolls of new coins. If they happened to have them I could get them for face value.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

OP
OP
P

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
Did they come in wrappers that were obviously from the mint or fed? Do they look like the wrappers from the mint or are they something else?

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a long time since I picked up any new coin rolls, I mean years (except for a recent roll of new dollar coins). I cannot remember the text on them but they were the type of rolls that are machine made like you get in a Brinks or Loomis box or like a new roll of dollars you can get now from the bank. The oldest new roll of coins I have is $20 in 1974-P Ikes.

HH,

Scott (MI)

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
there is no such thing as fed rolls, to speak of. The fed's or mint for that matter do not roll everyday circulation coins. They are rolled by contractors for the us mint such as CWI (coin wrap incorperated) just like the pennies you are searching now. they come in the red and white H. F. String and son wrappers (CWI) or clear wrappers from brinks. If you are looking for the new lincoln pennies they will be released on Feb. 12 (lincolns birthday) and should start hitting the banks in about a week to ten days after. They will be pretty much everywhere as I have heard through ANA that the mintage is in the billions for each of the four designs. Just keep your eyes open at the bank you should be able to get some...

Happy Hunting,
Jason

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
there is no such thing as fed rolls, to speak of. The fed's or mint for that matter do not roll everyday circulation coins.
you are correct on circulated coins but i have to disagree on the mint roll thing....when new coins come out(maybe not pennies....not sure) i have always seen them in the mint rolls like these
6P3_large.jpg
d689_2.jpg
ed7e_1.jpg

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
All the contract handlers & packagers (Brinks, Loomis, CWI etc.), get ballistic bags of new coins from the Fed banks (who get them from the mint), to put through their own machine rollers to distribute. They occasionally mix in a small amount of older coins with the new coins to discourage hoarders.
Mint rolls are a product packaged & sold only by the mint. Any mint roll that shows up in a till at the bank is usually turned in by the person who did not buy them but received as a gift, inheritance or whatever including theft.
They are really doing a job in Houston right now by dumping boxes of the 2008-D pennies to get ready for the 09's.
As of yesterday, I have received over 30 full boxes of them from three different handlers within 3 weeks.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
TXTim said:
They are really doing a job in Houston right now by dumping boxes of the 2008-D pennies to get ready for the 09's.
As of yesterday, I have received over 30 full boxes of them from three different handlers within 3 weeks.

Same here, lots of 2008's being sent to the banks. all over NY all i have found is 2008's

Jason

OP
OP
P

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
May be worth keeping a box or a few rolls as they are the last of the memorial series. I read that the legislation allowing the 4 penny designs this year said that in 2010 they are going to have a coin that commemerates lincoln preserving the union. I haven't heard about a design being picked yet.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You can get coin shipped directly from the mint in wrappers at cost. I participate in the Direct Ship program and receive $250 dollars at a time (Presedential/Native American dollars). The mint pays for shipping. I doubt they will have such a program for the Lincolns. You might want to just pay the premium for the Lincoln commemorative pennies. There will be two types. The ones intended for collectors will be composed of the same metallic content as the 1909 penny. The ones intended for everyday circulation will be the Zincolns that we are familiar with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread