Extremely RUDE teller forks over silver

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
Let me start off this rant with what I got today. I went to two banks. Bank 1 and Bank 2 we will call them. I am members of both banks. At bank one it was my normal drop off and pick up of all my boxes. 2 boxes halfs, 1 box quarters, 1 box dimes. Everything is going nice and smooth. Everyone there is nice and I enjoy talking with everyone at this bank. I leave after getting all my boxes. I get in the car and decide to stop off at a bank that is located in a grocery store, Bank 2. Here is were it gets messy. I go to the same bank but a different branch and do my Tuesday pickup. I only come to this grocery store branch every once in a while to see if they have any loose. At this particular store there is this one lady that is incredibly rude, not only to me but to my girlfriend as well on other separate occasions. So I go in and I ask for halfs and the teller that I go to says she does not have any but then asks around and of coarse no one has any except for of coarse the rude old lady. She says she has halfs and asks how much I would like and I politely say that I would like to take them all. As soon as she hears this she went from smiling to a serious face. She then says that she has 12 dollars worth but will only sell me five. She says something along the lines that she won't sell me the rest because they are fun. Which I then say I'll take them all please. She looks at me and laughs like i was an idiot and says did you hear me I said I'd only sell you 5$ worth and tells me to go to a different store branch because they might have more halfs. Now when she says this she had a customer and now there both laughing at me. Err now I'm about to bust some heads. She hands me the 5$ worth and I look at them and low and behold there is 1 1967 in the bunch. Now I'm going crazy. This women I now believe won't sell me the rest because the rest must be silver, let me emphasize she is old and probably knows there is silver in coins at least 64 an older. So I leave but i do not leave the grocery store. I am now convinced that the rest must be silver. So I go to the ATM pull a 20 get change and start looking for someone to go to the bank, ask for 7$ worth, then give them to me once they get them. I am furious with this women. I start looking around but find no one trustworthy enough. I'm shaking I'm so mad now. I decide to go back and complain. I go to the same teller and say I'd really like to buy the rest of that other tellers halfs and I tell her I am upset because she won't sell them to me. The other teller hears this while she is with a customer grabs the halfs in her tray (which is in a drawer) and slams them on the counter and tells the teller "Here you deal with it". She then looks at me and says," You said you were upset about this." I go yes I am. She then says, "Well I make a note of that." I say nothing after this, grab my coins and leave. In my mind I just want to scream at this lady. What the EFF does, well I make a note of that mean. Wow I can't believe how mad I am at this. I am going to be writing the bank branch manager a very lengthy letter about this woman and how rude she is and how poor her costumer service is. I am lead to believe that this woman knew I was looking for something and as soon as she found out that I wanted to buy all of the halfs she decided not sell them out of spite to me. The remaining 7 dollars were all clad so my dreams of walkers and bens were shot. Wow. I had to get this off my chest. I mean not at one point was I rude to this lady. I do not believe that I was out of line at any one point of this whole deal. I am a member of this bank and I believe that as my right of being a member I should get what I want within reason and I believe that I was not being unreasonable with my request at all. Anyways wish me luck with me boxes.
HH,
Frank

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
CRHing addiction can make a person do some crazy things to get the silver coins. It can be an obsession.

Jim

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not take it personal. Tellers are also CRHers. AS far as I know there are not rules that say that tellers can not get silver coins as long as they do not still them.

Plus we CRHers are not very good customers. We cost more to the banks than what we produce.

You will find this kind of teller once in a while.

Darth

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate to how you felt. I dont wanna add fuel to the fire...but this woman made a jacka** of you and in front of another customer. Writing the letter may not be a bad idea...if youd go in person to see the branch manager most time they side with the teller,or are as bad if not worse . I'm going thru this the last 2 weeks myself with a bank. I've called a different branch and spoke to the manager there. That manager agreed with me 100% and took it to the district manager which is working on it. I dont like someone loosing their job.....this woman should be fired for the way she handled this. She was not hoarding silver just taking advantage of a situation. If she had wanted to keep some, or keep silver, why didnt she just say i only have 5.00 worth? To say I have 12.00 but your only getting 5.00 was outright rude and she was initating a confrontation. Another thing I'll never understand is if the tellers save coins/silver, why dint they buy them at the moment the discover them...out of sight.....out of mind. No, they wait till someone wants it then says they cant have it. I'm sorry sir you cant buy that last dozen of eggs....the cashier wanted them. Not fair at all. Sorry for my ranting here....I'm new to this, handicap, love doing it as a great passtime, but I've had some awful experences with tellers/banks in the last few weeks. Wonder if we'd be treated this way if we were depositing a couple hundred grand in that institution? I'm sure we all know the answer to that, and we are the same customer none the less.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I could tell similiar stories about encounters with rude or lazy tellers. If you get angry, the only person it upsets is yourself,certainly not the teller.

Lots of tellers collect coins too. So would I if I worked at a bank.

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
I don't know about "not being very good customers". I have a substantial amount of money in each bank that I hold an account with. They are definitely making money off of me. I get absolutely no pushback on my box orders because of this. The bank does not want to lose me as a customer.

When dealing with tellers, I would suggest keeping them happy (the whole catching more bees with honey than vinegar thing). Buy a box of donuts or bagels for the tellers at the banks you order boxes from. This will keep them happy, even while carting out box after box of halves. They will look forward to your pickup days. Obviously this doesn't help on roadtrips. On those I would dress professionally, smile, and make small talk. Are there rude old tellers that scalp all of the silver out there, "Yes". But for every one of them, there are four young tellers who either have no clue about CRHing or don't care.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Frank. Since this is a bank that you are a customer at, I would make a phone call to the branch manager or write the letter that you mentioned.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets try to not get too upset about our hobby. After all, a hobby is supposed to be fun! I can understand that you're mad about how the teller made you look like a fool, but you also made yourself look like a fool. Seriously, its a few freakin' halves. Get over it and move on. I know that us CRH'ers want to get as many halves as we can and collect as much silver as we can. But we also have to realize that tellers collect coins too. Personally, I don't blame them at all. If I were a teller, I would try to hoard as much silver as possible. I wouldn't leave it in my tray like some tellers or do things that make us CRH'ers angry. Also remember 99.99999999% of tellers don't read this board so they don't know what makes us happy or angry. No one has written the "Tellers Guide to Not Pissing Off CRH'ers".

Also, I would be careful about how much you complain about not getting your boxes or that a teller wouldn't give you a silver half in their tray. Just think about things that you do that annoy other people. After being told so many times that something you do is annoying someone, you stop doing it right? Well if too many people complain about not getting their eighty boxes a week or some dirty teller wanted to save a silver in their tray, some banks might just say "OK, no more coins for non-business customers" or something similar to that.

I know this post is going to rub some people the wrong way, but just remember this is a HOBBY. And HOBBYZ R SUPPOST TO B FUN!

-Codes

OP
OP
T

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Codes said:
Lets try to not get too upset about our hobby. After all, a hobby is supposed to be fun! I can understand that you're mad about how the teller made you look like a fool, but you also made yourself look like a fool. Seriously, its a few freakin' halves. Get over it and move on.

Trust me I did not look like a fool. This lady did this in spite. You were not there so to say that I made myself look like a fool is ludicrous. I was very polite, as I am everytime when I go into a bank weather I am a member or not. Trust me I will be complaining to a manager. I wouldn't be so upset if this was the first time this old bag had been rude to me. Since her rudeness has been on a consistant basis to not only me but my girlfriend as well today was the last straw. I will not be laughed at by someone that is supposed to give me service in a customer service related job. Besides who is she to determine how much I can purchase. To me if you have it in your whatever it is fair game to whom ever asks for it. Also it may be that they may be CRHers as well but if it's not in their pocket before I get there then to bad so sad. I don't care!!! Especially if they are going to be rude about it. So please think about who you are throwing stones at.
HH,
Frank

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
You have encounter what most of us CRH's encounter it's called the "CRHing withdrawels" a long streak of skunks and we take it out of old tellers who we think are hoarding the precious 90%ers.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Frank - let it go man. If you are doing this on a regular (daily) basis you will find a rude teller every now and then. I think I get one every few weeks or so. I just chuckle and move on thanking my lucky stars I'm not them! If they really need some punishment it is the old $325 in halves for them every week :thumbsup:. They will really not like you then and have second thoughts about making fun of our little hobby. I had a teller disrespect me like that once. I went out of my way to dump waaaayyy too many halves on her. It took me a while to realize I was just punishing myself for all the work it took. It was still kind of fun to watch her squirm and get more polite and even fearful as I entered the bank with a big canvas sack...especially week after week after week. I waisted more time on that than it deserved :icon_king: you probably should find some creative way of letting go of your anger before you have an early stroke...

Maine_Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey Tank, I think we all have a story similar to yours. But I think some of the others are right...try to stay on their good side. That way you can at least go back and have a shot at getting the halves. Chances are those tellers will not help you out without a hassle from now on. I am not saying they were in the right but in the interest of CRHunters everywhere we should just let it goes graciously and come back another day. This way we don't get a bad repor.

-Golden Silver

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have learned it is just best to let it go, smile and say thank you. it is not good to bring attention to yourself in a bank, especially when you are out of town and nobody knows you. it just ain't worth the hassle.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Frank,

Here is a suggestion that should improve your chances of getting all the halves without asking for all the halves. Whenever they ask how many you would like never say all. Come back with a question of your own such as how many do you have? or how many in a roll? etc.. Let them feel like they are providing a service to you. If they come back with "we have plenty" or some other vague amount just pull a number like $200 worth saying that you need them for poker night. If they have $200 then pull out the cell phone and call one of your poker buddies and ask if they would like you to pickup more. Of course your buddy on the other end is going to say yeah pick me up some. This should wipeout all the halves that the teller has in the bus and then they will have to get the halves from the vault. The trip to the vault is where you make your move for the rest of the halves. With a question like how many do you have back there? When they tell you the amount just ask if they can sell you all of them.

The trick is to let the teller feel like she is doing you a favor. In my experience the older tellers love the poker line and will bend over backwards to help you out.

I would think twice about the letter unless you can afford to lose the bank as a pickup place. I have heard about notes being placed on customers accounts and the results usually amount to a closed account or at least a drop in service.

HH
65GT350

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Tellers aren't paid a whole lot and have to put up with countless jerks.
She will probably get retired sooner than she wants with that kind of attitude.
You will catch more bees with honey and 14 halves is not enough to get heated over.
If she really likes halves as you say, do her a favor and treat her to some of your dumps - then avoid that branch until next year.

OP
OP
T

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
TXTim said:
Tellers aren't paid a whole lot and have to put up with countless jerks.
She will probably get retired sooner than she wants with that kind of attitude.
You will catch more bees with honey and 14 halves is not enough to get heated over.
If she really likes halves as you say, do her a favor and treat her to some of your dumps - then avoid that branch until next year.

I think everyone is getting away from the point. Regardless of what I asked for it doesn't matter. The costomer service given from this lady is and was and will be poor. I believe it is my responsibility to let the proper people know the service that is given. Good or bad. I do have great relationships with all of my banks I go to. I find it obsurd that you all will take this kind of service when it happens to you. I will not stand for this.
HH,
Frank

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Tank, I think everyone gets your point perfectly and we are saying choose your battles wisley. One bank is not a loss and you could better spend your time finding more silver. Good luck.

-Golden Silver

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I can see the point of everyone saying 'just let it go,' but I can also see Frank's point.

People this rude should not be in a line of work where they deal with the public, they should be in a back room somewhere. I have one old rude teller at my bank, and I will not go to her window no matter how long the other lines are. I'm always nice and polite, but I could also lose it on her, and she's not worth me looking like an ass to the whole bank.

Plus in this day and age, raising your voice to a bank teller could get you to talking to the police. So stay away from her, don't let people who will stress you out ruin your day or your hobby.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Sounds like you have a legitimate beef over how you were treated. But with many banks starting to charge fees for CRHing for buying boxes and dumping rejects, it might not be a good idea to draw any attention to your CHRing in this instance.

Chances are the management knows how this teller is, but for whatever reason they put up with her. I doubt you are the first person to be treated like that by her.

Unless you are willing to possibly lose this bank as a CRHing asset, I would let it go. I have had some rude tellers, but nothing like this one. Maybe that is why they keep her in the grocery store branch.

Jim

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going ot my add my two cents.

It doesn't sound like the beef is just over CRHing, but that is what pushed it over the top. It is over the way the teller consistently treats customers, as such I would complain as well with examples where possible.

I have run into a teller or two who have not been helpful, but never one who was downright rude to me to the point where I felt it was my duty to complain. However, if I ever get that far...I will be complaining.

CRH or not, the bank is providing a service to its customers who view the bank through their experiences (primarily the tellers). If the tellers have bad customer service, the bank will likely lose customers (at least at that location) and should be informed of issues. The only way anything will change is to let the bank know.

Note....this could be done via an anonymous letter as well if you don't want them to track it to a specific account. However, in that case you will give up your ability to tell defend your side of the story and get feedback as to the bank's position (unless they fire the teller).

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Frank....i'm with you on this one...a customer of any kind should never be treated rudely.....its not her money....she should not have laughed at you..i...i definitely would complain because you have an account there so she basically is there to serve you and help you the best she can.....the way things are today the banks are going out of they're way to get customers....even for $10 ....one bank was giving the first 2 years free for a safe deposit box....every branch of every bank most tellers are very nice and very helpfull and even sorry if they can't help me, and these are banks i don't have an account with.....there's no room anymore for the tired old matron with a bad attitude....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread