besides fun... why do we do this?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I do it for fun mostly. I also want to be the cool grandfather with the awesome coin collection! :) Whenever I get married and have kids...There kids will say wow grandpa you have a nice coin collection! ;D

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Piercesdad said:
How much are these coins worth? Just curios.
Well, they're more than just curios...lol'...I'm not in it for profit, obviously. Trying to fill some coin catalogs by just paying face value, knowing silver coin found in circulation is a challenge, also hoping the value goes up! FFD

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Tx Tim hit it on the head. I plan on holding on to the coin for a good while and eventually putting toward retirement. How much are they worth? Depends on the coin and condition. Most of what we find is worth silver melt value which is roughly 12 dollars an ounce or 12 for 7 40%ers or 3 90%ers in halves. Although on ebay I know they sell for over that. As silver goes up in value so does the size of the retirement fund. When silver was up over 20/oz. It was nice to see 7 40%ers that you paid 3.50 for be worth almost 5 times as much. If you have a good size stash of thousands in face it adds up. Will I get rich? Most likely not but it will help. Now on some occasions you could find a rare date like A 1921 WALKING LIBERTY and one coin can be worth several hundred. It all depends. And yes it is fun so to me it is win/win.

-Golden silver

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
i do it for fun, however momma didnt raise no fool. LAst year when silver was high i sold 10 rolls of 40%ers and 1 roll of 90's for $620.00. Do the math

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
I do it for the thrill. It is funny that after being shot at for over a year, I come back and get a thrill from CRHing. It is a rush to pull a Merc out of a dime roll, or a Walker from a roll of halves (still waiting on my 1st Walker this year). I could not imagine pulling out a V nickel, IHC, or the 1921 Walker (all those finds were posted this week). Those finds are what keep me going after a couple of skunk boxes in a row.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Bank Runner, I bet CRHunting beats the sand box any day. I bet your glad your back and can enjoy the finer things in life like family and a distant second silver :wink:

-Golden Silver

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think for me it's like scratch off lottery tickets without shelling out $5 a piece for them.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piercesdad said:
I think for me it's like scratch off lottery tickets without shelling out $5 a piece for them.

Yep, like gambling but you can never lose!! :icon_king:

Unless of course if you drop a box of halves on the way into or out of the bank and they all roll into the storm drains. :tard:

-Codes

S

seger98

Detectingfreak said:
I do it for fun mostly. I also want to be the cool grandfather with the awesome coin collection! :) Whenever I get married and have kids...There kids will say wow grandpa you have a nice coin collection! ;D

This is why I do it. I only have one daughter & one granddaughter, they'll get it all.

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
I've been at it for about 4 months now and have sold enough to put a deposit on a cruise for next december. 6 boxes a week should cover the cost of cruise, air fare, and hopefully one heck of a good time. Beyond that will just save it for a rainy day.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it purely for the thrill of the hunt! Every time I see that silver edge in a roll of clad....well, I get that rush! You know what I mean. :wink:

Rick

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For fund and it is free money.

If the face is .50 for a 40% silver halve and you can sell it for 1.25 you have more than a 100% profit.

It does not look like a lot but if you have 500 40%ers is $250 face but you can sell them for $625

$375 profit Not bad. And this is with the today's low prices of silver and not counting mint errors, key dates,
dd, or just some one else willing to pay more for a coin.

Darth Walker

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am gonna keep the Barber's, Merc's, Walker's, & Franklin's for my collection, but the Rosie's and Kennedy's are going to fund my water detector. After that I am gonna hold onto them until silver gets up there, then I will start over again. :icon_pirat:

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
I do it for fun. I don't believe I will ever get rid of mine. I have 40 more years till I can retire and it would be cool to see how much I have when I do. I don't even think that I will get rid of them there. The tellers at my banks always ask me my count and what I am going to do with all of them. I just tell them that one day I may bury them and leave a treasure map for when a die. Whoever finds it first gets it. lol.
HH,
Frank

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Tank, If you don't mind I would like to get the map first just to quality check it ya know..... :icon_pirat:

-Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions