road trip home from concert 2/2

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GF got Metallica tickets in Newark for last night. She had never been into NYC before so we left early and headed for Manhattan.
I found a place called People's Foreign Exchange online that said they take some foreign coin and are open 7 days. I called them and they said they took Canadian.
Nice racket they have going. They convert to US and then offer about half value. I had 266.44CAD which is abouot $211US. They offered $100. I went ahead and took it since I got it all for free off coin machine magnets. But next time I'll wait until either I can go to Canada myself or find someone to do it for me and get a better return.

Then we went to the USS Intrepid museum since she had never been aboard a carrier before. Nice museum, just reopened after an overhaul. The only 2 bad things I though, was that they closed in so much of the hangar deck that you can't get any sense of size and conditions and that you only go one deck under the hangar deck.

After that, we were off to Ground Zero. We didn't have enough time to stop and go look down into the pit but it was emotional enough just to be nearby.

Concert was great. I'm not a huge fan but they do put on a good show.

She had found a room on Expedia for $130ish with tax/fees but didn't book it. We got there and the guy tells me $199+tax. I mentioned the online price and he said "Yes. Always boook online for the better price. You can still do it now if you want, there's a computer right there". Got it for $106 total-a king suite with whirlpool(thanks Canada!).

This morning, instead of hopping the turnpike for the ride home, we took other roads and stopped at 16 banks. We passed quite a few others but they were all on the other side of the divided road and we didn't feel like running back and forth.

#'s 1-4 had nothing
#5 had a $500 box-- 1-64 5-40% and an 87D
#6-12 had none
#13 had 2.50 none good
#14 had 12.00, nothing
#15 had a $500 box and the teller told me another had "a bunch of halves, all old ones. Call of come in tomorrow and he'll be here." This one was close enough to do so. I'm going back tomorrow. !62 Ben, 1-64 and 8 40%
#16 had none but I really stopped there to confirm what the teller from this post said http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,213644.msg1539062.html#msg1539062
They wouldn't sell to me "because if you have no account, then we have no transaction history with you. If we sold you currency and yours turned out to be stolen, we would have no way of finding you."

The tellers at this branch(3) all agreed with what that branch said(this was after I had already asked about halves and they had none and never asked if I had an account). They also said they "investigate" all new customers and that they have to know where all money comes from because of the Patriot Act and the paperwork that comes with it. I called my brother, who is a teller, and told him what they said and he about fell over laughing.
I asked "So how does any of that mean the money you take in isn't stolen? Who's to say the customer with an account didn't knock off the liqour store across town and deposit the cash here?" I got a blank stare.

Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why would you turn in your canadian for such a low price? I spend all mine at local stores like walmart, gas stations etc, no one has ever batted an eye when I give them canadian change

OP
OP
markmopar

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely use change for anything. When I leave the house I have none in my pocket and when i get home I look through it for anything good and dump it into the water jug in the living room. The coin machines reject it or it sticks to the magnet in them. Stores here generally look at it since there's a lot of Mexican currency circulating and won't take it. Not to mention the difficulty of passing off large amounts.
I don't plan on doing it again because of the low price. It was convenient that we were going that way and it paid for our hotel room without going into my pocket money. From now on I'll keep it until I go to Canada since I doubt I'll go back to NYC for another 20 years(it was 20 years since the last time I went).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread