Too late to get into CRH? I have some questions.....

Edwardo911

Greenie
Nov 1, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
None Currently
I have been reading about coil roll hunting and it sounds really exciting and addicting. It also sounds like people are finding less silver and getting more "skunk" boxes lately.

I live in Dallas, Texas. There is a Reserve bank here. Could/should I get rolls from the Fed?

I was wondering if you need to have an account open at the bank you "dump" your coins at after searching them?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Edward

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I've only been into this hobby since November of last year, so I'm no expert,but here is what I do. I have bank accounts where I order boxes,and bank accounts where I dump.
As far as boxes go I order halves. Dimes I can usualy just pick up from the bank, but I do order them once in a while.
More often or not I will find silver in a dime box but it is only one,two or three coins. Half dollar boxes I've been skunking out 50% of the time and have never even come close to hittin a dream box.
I do much better on road trips hitting the different banks.

I'm going to stop buying boxes and do more road trips when the weather gets better.

This hobby is fun as long as you keep in mind that it is a hobby. I only have one or two days a week that I can devote to CRH,but I work it hard on those days. Wish that I could do it every day.
Your experience may be different seeing how you are located near a big city.

Good Luck !

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Ed, a few words from a neighbor of yours. We are lucky that we have no shortage of prime targets(banks) for CRHing. I would suggest that you try Oak Cliff,Pleasant Grove,Mesquite,South Dallas,etc. You are more likely to find someone who has dumped a collection during this economic downturn. You can eliminate a lot of wasted trips by calling first.
Don't be a lazy a$$ like me. Get out and go into the banks, the tellers love the effort.
There is a group of banks in town called Century Banks.http://www.centurybank.com/home/ that are open 7 days a week. They each have a FREE coin sorter in their lobbies. They will welcome you with open arms and they do not charge to dump as many coins as possible. Believe me, I dumped 18,000 halves on Sunday with no problems. They have been bought by Wells Fargo and things could change but right now they are perfect.
Did I mention that you don't need an account to dump there.
Good luck with your quest, there is plenty of room for all of us. Jim

OP
OP
Edwardo911

Edwardo911

Greenie
Nov 1, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
None Currently
Cool!

Thanks, Richard and Jim. I am coming home from Guam in two weeks. I have tried to hit the beaches here, but alot of the coastal areas are protected. And the ones that are not are really, really trashy.

I guess it might be good to open an account at a Century Bank? Its amazing they are open 7 days a week. I'm with Bank of America for my singular checking account that I have right now. But this hobby sounds like I may need to open another at another bank.

After being home for 2 weeks in Dallas, I will be going to Abilene for 45 days so hopefully I can do this there as well.

Thanks for the advice!

-E

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Its never to late to start CRH! I started it just 3 weeks ago and I have found 1 silver 1955 dime in a batch of coins and I've pulled many many wheaties out of penny boxes! I find Dimes/Pennies are most productive. I am going to try halves today and see what I come up with :)
Good luck in starting this awesome hobby!

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been doing this 3-4 weeks (9 boxes )and have over 10 walkers and 5 Bens not to mention my other silver. Also just found 2 more ikes silvers one 90%. I do primarily halves and have just finished 4 great boxes! But I have had the best pleasure when a teller has rolls just sitting in the vault and you open them up and find half the roll in silver and a ben or walker pops up maybe even together!
Good Luck and Enjoy!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oH ITS WAY TOO LATE.... :tongue3:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep waste of time no more silver to be had!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Reverend B*IKE* said:
I have only been doing this 3-4 weeks (9 boxes )and have over 10 walkers and 5 Bens not to mention my other silver. Also just found 2 more ikes silvers one 90%. I do primarily halves and have just finished 4 great boxes! But I have had the best pleasure when a teller has rolls just sitting in the vault and you open them up and find half the roll in silver and a ben or walker pops up maybe even together!
Good Luck and Enjoy!

I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years, and have one Ben and zero Walkers! And a LOT more than 9 boxes! So, count yourself lucky and enjoy the run. :-)

(I had 42 skunks in 45 boxes in a run last year)

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
jrf30 said:
Reverend B*IKE* said:
Good Luck and Enjoy!

I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years, and have one Ben and zero Walkers! And a LOT more than 9 boxes! So, count yourself lucky and enjoy the run. :-)

(I had 42 skunks in 45 boxes in a run last year)

Wow I remember your posts throught last year ... the Silver Gods must have stripped your area bare ... that totally rots , so I dont blame you for doing pennies at least you can find some keepers , Ed

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
If you want some answers about CRH, then go to the bottom of the page, and look at the article from Western and Eastern treasure that is highlighted as the center article on that ad. Where is says "recent W&E articles". It is all about searching halves. It is right there, and gives some good advise ... IMHO. LOL

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
If you run across any loose halves at some banks just ask them to tell ya the dates or just ask if you can look over them. I'm not the guy who buys loose halves and look over them i had no trouble with tellers they most likely just tell ya the dates some let you look over them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread