Boxes,road trip,coinstar,and %^$#@ 2/3/09

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Started at 9 AM to dump, and bank hop,as well as pick up four boxes before the snow hit.

Here is how it went.

Dropped off a few boxes and stopped at one bank for halves.
1x 1965
1x 1966
1x 1967
2x 1968
3x 1969

Stopped at another bank at a supermarket with a long line. I was last in line by the coinstar and noticed there was change in the tray.
Picked up $1.31 and
1x 1964 Dime

Picked up my four boxes of halves and was told that I can no longer get halves at this bank because I have been dumping at another branch two towns away where the teller has a coin allergy. I told the manager to put it in writing and mail it out to me.
Box Results
1x 1954 Franklin
2x 1964 Kennedy
2x 1966
1x 1968
1x 1976 silver Bicentennial
1x 1967
1x 1968
1x 1969
1x 1943 Walker (first for me in a box)
2x 1967
3x 1969

I'm boxed out, and will be doing road trips in the future.

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
That sounds like some pretty good boxes.
What kind of idiot works at a bank when they have a coin allergy? :icon_scratch:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Picked up my four boxes of halves and was told that I can no longer get halves at this bank because I have been dumping at another branch two towns away where the teller has a coin allergy.
so fire the %$#^&
never heard of anything so stupid in all my life

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
Picked up my four boxes of halves and was told that I can no longer get halves at this bank because I have been dumping at another branch two towns away where the teller has a coin allergy.

So this other bank doesn't deal with coins at all? This type of stuff really irks me. >:(

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work at a bank and I am alergic to interest rates

How stupid is that. how can some one work at a bank if he/she is or are alergics.

Darth Walker

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Sounds like you need to find a new place to buy boxes and dump everything on the allergy wench. That has to be the most lame thing I have heard in a long time.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Rich Hartford said:
Started at 9 AM to dump, and bank hop,as well as pick up four boxes before the snow hit.

Here is how it went.

Dropped off a few boxes and stopped at one bank for halves.
1x 1965
1x 1966
1x 1967
2x 1968
3x 1969

Stopped at another bank at a supermarket with a long line. I was last in line by the coinstar and noticed there was change in the tray.
Picked up $1.31 and
1x 1964 Dime

Picked up my four boxes of halves and was told that I can no longer get halves at this bank because I have been dumping at another branch two towns away where the teller has a coin allergy. I told the manager to put it in writing and mail it out to me.
Box Results
1x 1954 Franklin
2x 1964 Kennedy
2x 1966
1x 1968
1x 1976 silver Bicentennial
1x 1967
1x 1968
1x 1969
1x 1943 Walker (first for me in a box)
2x 1967
3x 1969

I'm boxed out, and will be doing road trips in the future.
Very nice I never find anything when I roll hunt... Isn't it illegal for them to refuse to order you havles..??

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Let me tell you how I started out doing business with this particular bank.

I went to two branches on the same street asking for halves when I first started CRH. This was my first encounter with mean spirited, lazy bank tellers.

I decided to make them my main dump banks.

I called one of their branches ten miles away in the ghetto asking for halves. The guy there said he did not have any but he could get them for me if I opened an account. I said maybe in the future.
Well this fellow must have called me a half dozen times, so I paid him a visit and was up front with him telling him that I would open an account only for the purpose of ordering halves.
As a beginner I knew that one should not return coins from the place they are ordered from,but I thought it was okay to dump them off at another branch two towns away.
Anyway my dumps made the allergic teller and her lazy associates angry and they complained to the branch where I ordered the halves from.
The fellow at my pickup branch told me that they complained and that I can no longer order halves. So I told him no problem just send it to me in writing with the names of the tellers who complained.
Ten minutes later he called me back and told me that I can order halves but there will be a $7.00 fee plus .25 per roll. I told him that I am not looking for a loan with interest and I don't pay a fee for money. I told him to send it to me in writing along with the number of other non business customers who pay a fee. He asked me why I wanted everything in writing,and I told him that I required a papertrail to give to the attorney general and the state banking commission.
He asked me to come in next week to talk about it. We will see what happens.
The bank is a private business that can make up their own rules.
This particular bank received a bailout from the Government yesterday,with MY TAX DOLLARS.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
This whole coin allergy thing is a joke. Even if the teller did have allergies to coins and let's say hypothetically they could not fire her for legal reasons (discrimination for health reasons, etc.), why in the hell would they have that teller handling dumps?

They could stick her/him in the dept. that opens new accounts, etc.

This sounds to me like a bank's lame excuse to stop taking dumps cause they are tired of dealing with them.

I am starting to get from a couple of my dump banks how my halves keep breaking their machine and it costs over $200 every time the fix it guy shows up, so they are telling me to take my halves to another branch of the same bank. This has happened now at 2 branches, but I still have a couple of their banks with good machines (at least for now). I know they aren't lying about the machine problems cause I can hear the horrible sounds the machine makes as it jams followed by the beeps. I have my business accounts at this bank and they treat me fairly well at most of the branches I go to, so I am sticking with them for now.

Also, I see nothing wrong with dumping at a different branch of the same bank. I do this and have had no problems (other than the broken machine deal). I would not dump at the same branch where I buy, even though one of them offers it all the time. As far as getting the same coins back it doesn't matter cause Brinks is the same courier for all the banks I go to for the most part.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread