Difficulty turning in Half boxes?

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
I just started out in halves at my bank and they were happy to order them for me, but very hesitant to take them back in - something about difficulty having to sell them back?

Have any of you experienced this or have any suggestions?

They dont have a counting machine so it would appear they need to recount all halves that come in.

Scott

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Open an account that has a counting machine or that is happy to take them from you.

Chris

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Bank with Bank of America. They are always happy to take money! :) As long as I have an account, they do not care! :)

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Stripe said:
Never take coin back to where you bought them. Rule #1. HH Mark

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

They will never sell/order coins to/for you again!!!!!! LOL

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Stripe said:
Why is that whats you theory or reasoning? Do you mean same bank or branch or both? I have done it and had success!

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
the theory you work off of is this: buy from one bank and dump at a different bank. try and get two banks that are serviced by different armored car services. example: i buy from a bank that is serviced by loomis and i dump at a bank that is serviced by brinks. this is done to decrease the possibilities of getting your dumps back next time you search. if you didn't want it the first time you probably won't want it the second or third etc. make sense? hope this answers your questions....

OP
OP
S

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
I guess the theory was proven ... they called today to say they wouldn't order any more half boxes :(

I guess I need to use one of the other local branches where people aren't so lazy.

Scott

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotty1418 said:
I guess the theory was proven ... they called today to say they wouldn't order any more half boxes :(

I guess I need to use one of the other local branches where people aren't so lazy.

Scott

I knew it!!!!!

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
scotty1418 said:

Scott
You can't expect them to handle both ends of the transaction for nothing. Even buying and dumping at different branches of the same bank- won't take them long to figure it out, they do talk (Vault teller at Bank #1, "I had the strangest request awhile back, this guy come in and wanted me to order him 2 boxes of half dollars every week". Vault teller at Bank #2, "Really? When was that? Cause I've had a guy come in the last two weeks with just under $1,000 each time." VT@B#1, "Is he a tall, goofy lookin guy with thick glasses?" VT@B#2, "Yep thats him, I think you better start charging him for them boxes and I'll start charging to dump". VT@B#1, "Nah, screw him and his half dollars, I didn't want to order them anyways"!!!!!!!! End of conversation & the end of your hunting there. Open an account at a different bank, preferrably with a coin counter to dump at and never buy coin there.

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
It's also good to remember this rule when taking a road trip. Many time I've asked for halves and the teller looked hesitant to tell me they had any. Once I tell them "I promice not to bring them back here", they are more than happy to sell them to me.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Stripe said:
scotty1418 said:

Scott
You can't expect them to handle both ends of the transaction for nothing. Even buying and dumping at different branches of the same bank- won't take them long to figure it out, they do talk (Vault teller at Bank #1, "I had the strangest request awhile back, this guy come in and wanted me to order him 2 boxes of half dollars every week". Vault teller at Bank #2, "Really? When was that? Cause I've had a guy come in the last two weeks with just under $1,000 each time." VT@B#1, "Is he a tall, goofy lookin guy with thick glasses?" VT@B#2, "Yep thats him, I think you better start charging him for them boxes and I'll start charging to dump". VT@B#1, "Nah, screw him and his half dollars, I didn't want to order them anyways"!!!!!!!! End of conversation & the end of your hunting there. Open an account at a different bank, preferrably with a coin counter to dump at and never buy coin there.

LOL. They do talk to each other. I ordered $2000 from one branch in the morning and tried to order another $2000 from a different branch in the afternoon. The vault teller from the second branch ask me "did you just call xx branch in the morning for $2000?" She didn't order for me.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Wikipedia CRHers consider that it is bad ethics to return the reject coins to the same bank you ordered from.

I say BS, the reason we do not do it is because we do not want to get back out own dumps and do not want to
make tellers upset.

Darth Walker

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fropa said:
It's also good to remember this rule when taking a road trip. Many time I've asked for halves and the teller looked hesitant to tell me they had any. Once I tell them "I promice not to bring them back here", they are more than happy to sell them to me.

I've had the same experience.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
DrDetector said:
Stuff like this is destroying this hobby...I know lots are thinking it but I'm coming out and saying it.
I lost my best pickup bank cause half my competition there was searching the halves in the parking lot and going in and filling up the coin counter. We had a sweet deal there, they got in 20 boxes every M/W/F to supply us. Finally they decided they would have to charge $7.50 a box fee to get rid of us.

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Stripe said:
Well The only service around here is Dunbar. For over 5-6 different banks. I bleong to 3 so far so in my case no matter where or who I dump with ITs still going back to the same supply house! and Judging from my last haul I am not complaining I think they service so many banks that it could be a while before I see my own dumps!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darth Walker said:
According to Wikipedia CRHers consider that it is bad ethics to return the reject coins to the same bank you ordered from.

I say BS, the reason we do not do it is because we do not want to get back out own dumps and do not want to
make tellers upset.

Darth Walker
Wrong!
Why would the bank order you more halves with some sitting in the vault. The coin company will also wonder why they are dropping off halves and then picking them up. That's why the "F" word ends up coming to the bank. Always have a dump bank separate from your pick up bank! :icon_scratch:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i have had many banks where i picked up all their halfs and they said the only way i could have them is if i didn't bring them back....no worries....free coin counter at TD bank....and i never ask my dump bank for halfs either

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread