Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52
  1. #1
    us
    Feb 2009
    6

    Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/...urglary/12544/

    In this article about a break in at Brinks, they mention that "silver 50 cent pieces were taken". To me, this could either mean that Brinks has been sorting out silver halves and storing them, or that the author was simply differentiating the "silver" half dollars from the "gold" dollar coins.

    What do you think?

  2. # ADS
    Ads

    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #2

    Jul 2005
    Ga
    111

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    They used a cutting torch and then had to abandon efforts due to smoke and fire. Duhhhhhhhhhhh. Much easier ways to get into a safe than a torch.

  4. #3
    seger98

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    You pose a very good question there Alot on here think that Brink's or whoever else are too big to sit there and seperate them. But I don't see why they couldn't have at least one employee looking through them. You also hear of people finding silver coins in the reject bin on CoinStar machines. MY bank has told me that silver and Canadian coins are rejected in their machine, so why couldn't it be done on a larger scale at Brinks, Garda, whoever?

    Chris

  5. #4

    Apr 2008
    3,041
    136 times

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    They don't sort here. Maybe in other places. Brinks boxes are the best ones I have ever gotten. I have found Walkers, Franklins, 64s and 40s. Maybe they only sort out the Barbers where I live.

    Jim
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

  6. #5
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    #7
    8,588
    927 times
    silver surfing

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    If by chance they were sorting, Ya just can't shoot ALL the fish in the pond! FFD

  7. #6

    Apr 2008
    3,041
    136 times

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    Quote Originally Posted by Fistfulladirt
    If by chance they were sorting, Ya just can't shoot ALL the fish in the pond! FFD

    I disagree. If they had a real system of sorting it would be accurate. They may miss one here and there, but not all the ones people here report they find. Any system would be some type of machine, they are not going to have workers picking through the coins.

    Buy I hope people propagate the story about them taking out silver. If it means less CRHers out there, I am all for it.

    Jim
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

  8. #7
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    #7
    8,588
    927 times
    silver surfing

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    Quote Originally Posted by jim4silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Fistfulladirt
    If by chance they were sorting, Ya just can't shoot ALL the fish in the pond! FFD

    I disagree. If they had a real system of sorting it would be accurate. They may miss one here and there, but not all the ones people here report they find. Any system would be some type of machine, they are not going to have workers picking through the coins.

    Buy I hope people propagate the story about them taking out silver. If it means less CRHers out there, I am all for it.

    Jim
    Well, that explains my String of skunks! OK, i'm quitting, done! Lol

  9. #8

    Feb 2007
    The Lone Star State
    ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
    639
    11 times

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    I don't think that they would waste their time like us doing it. Think if they find a huge collection. Well they are out $1500 bucks till the sell it again. It would seem that it would just be a headache. Plus once you assign someone to take care of that department you have to pay them,lost time,etc. I know they deal in millions but I don't think it would be profitable for them.
    CRH Totals
    Wheats 247
    Buffalo 6
    War Nic 6
    Merc 0
    Rosie 9
    Quarter
    Walking 15
    Franklin 27
    90% 82
    40% 501
    Proofs:24
    Boxes searched: 193
    Skunks:71

  10. #9
    seger98

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    There could still be a sorting machine that kicks them out, now it may not catch them all, but tell me why there are some many stories on here where people find silver in the coinstars reject bin? why would they be rejected on some simple machine like that?


    And I do remember what my bank told me about their reject bin.


    Chris

  11. #10

    Apr 2008
    3,041
    136 times

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    Quote Originally Posted by seger98
    There could still be a sorting machine that kicks them out, now it may not catch them all, but tell me why there are some many stories on here where people find silver in the coinstars reject bin? why would they be rejected on some simple machine like that?


    And I do remember what my bank told me about their reject bin.


    Chris

    I give up. OK, Brinks sorts for silver. Everyone here who has found silver in Brinks boxes has been super duper lucky ducks.



    Jim
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

  12. #11
    seger98

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    Quote Originally Posted by jim4silver
    Quote Originally Posted by seger98
    There could still be a sorting machine that kicks them out, now it may not catch them all, but tell me why there are some many stories on here where people find silver in the coinstars reject bin? why would they be rejected on some simple machine like that?


    And I do remember what my bank told me about their reject bin.


    Chris

    I give up. OK, Brinks sorts for silver. Everyone here who has found silver in Brinks boxes has been super duper lucky ducks.



    Jim
    I give up too, cuz it looks like your not reading what I wrote very well, I said it may not catch them all.

    Also if you know this for sure, can you verify it?

  13. #12
    us
    Feb 2009
    6

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    I would suggest that it might be done by a new machine they are using, and as such isn't being used at all facilities yet.

  14. #13
    us
    MUD(S.W.A.T)

    Apr 2005
    Location: Undisclosed
    I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
    7,185
    414 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    Hey all,

    I don't think they sort the silver out but, I do think they keep track of it. I think the only people who sort it out are people like us. I think they knew what was taken because it was accounted for. I think they can't account for everything. Because people order boxes and take out silver all the time. If they are getting orders and all they have are silver ones they have to ship them. I do think lots are accounted for and melted down for making bars to be horded by the government as well.

    Keep @ It and HH!!
    TAG: MUD(S.W.A.T)
    GEAR: Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
    LOCATION: Undisclosed
    EXPERIENCE: About 9 Years
    E-MAIL: mudswat1979@yahoo.com
    "Where you find Silver, you should find Gold."

  15. #14

    Apr 2008
    3,041
    136 times

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    Quote Originally Posted by seger98
    Quote Originally Posted by jim4silver
    Quote Originally Posted by seger98
    There could still be a sorting machine that kicks them out, now it may not catch them all, but tell me why there are some many stories on here where people find silver in the coinstars reject bin? why would they be rejected on some simple machine like that?


    And I do remember what my bank told me about their reject bin.


    Chris

    I give up. OK, Brinks sorts for silver. Everyone here who has found silver in Brinks boxes has been super duper lucky ducks.



    Jim
    I give up too, cuz it looks like your not reading what I wrote very well, I said it may not catch them all.

    Also if you know this for sure, can you verify it?

    All is can go on is what I and others here find in their boxes. I have no evidence one way or the other. But my opinion is that there are too many being found for there to be a system of removal. If they went to the trouble to sort them out, they would have a way that would be effective. People are finding from time to time way more than one or two here and there. Machines do not normally make mistakes like humans, unless the machine is broken or malfunctioning.

    I think that the science exists where such a machine could absolutely be made. But I don't think Brinks in my area uses such technology.

    Also, Brinks is a liaison for the Federal Reserve and the banks they service. As such, the coins really don't belong to them per se. They are sort of like a holding facility for the Fed. So for them to "take" out coins could be a problem in that regard. But again, I don't know for sure.

    Jim
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

  16. #15
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    2,742
    303 times

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    Did you notice in the story

    Since the burglary, investigators have concentrated their efforts in three areas:
    - Reports of significant deposits of coin and/or large purchases made with coin resulted in leads being followed throughout Ohio as well as the states of Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee.


    All you guys in these states better have a good alibi for the night of Jan 17

    at yard sales I am dollardan
    on ebay I am the-howto-guy

  17. #16
    seger98

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdan
    Did you notice in the story

    Since the burglary, investigators have concentrated their efforts in three areas:
    - Reports of significant deposits of coin and/or large purchases made with coin resulted in leads being followed throughout Ohio as well as the states of Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee.


    All you guys in these states better have a good alibi for the night of Jan 17


    Very good point..


    And jim4silver. I understand what you are saying and respect your opinion. Are they or aren't they, I don't know either!

  18. #17
    us
    Dec 2008
    VALLEY ALABAMA
    GARRETT GTA 500
    3,650
    1 times

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    i have suspected that brinks has someone on the inside for some time now. i have had some good brinks boxes but they are few and far between.
    STRIPPING SILVER OUT OF BANKS AT FACE

  19. #18

    Jan 2009
    983
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    I just do not see why not an individual at Brinks can not spot one silver and keep it. Not stealing but replacing it for a clad from his pocket.

    Any answes to this?

    DW
    2012 Finds
    Kenns40%   5
    Kenns90%   0
    Benns         0
    Walkers       0

  20. #19
    us
    Mar 2008
    Michigan
    2,484
    2 times

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    OK

    Here is my opinion.

    Brinks does not cull Silver.

    (The word Silver is also used to describe just about any coinage)

    I primarily get Brinks boxes and not only get silver but Canadian $2 coins, Balboas and other assorted goodies as well as 3 British penny's. All of which would be rejected at my dump banks coin counter.

    The reason I believe this happens is... is that their machines that count and wrap are not of the same type that you see at your local bank. But huge, highspeed contraptions with a giant hopper. that is fed with a conveyor belt that is transporting the coin from a highspeed counter for verification of the bags of coins that all the banks are sending in. and you just got to believe that there is tons of Half dollars passing through the system. Why me and another guy that I see dumping at my dump bank go through 25,000 halves a week alone. "And We Ain't Alone."

    Here in Detroit. Brinks is 1 of 2 carriers (the other being Loomis) that serves the tri county area of over 4 million people and 1,000's of Banks.

    It is a miracle that any silver gets to that point but luckily for us it does.

    They probably do not discriminate like a coinstar that handles small amounts. Therefore they get passed through......... "Thank God."

    As far as them culling for profit they already make a ton of money doing what they do best. Processing Coin. So no need to take a chance of paying an employee to scan and cull silver because there is no guarantee that there would be a steady supply of silver and be cost effective for Brinks. It is all chance.

    I'm also pretty sure that an employee could not exchange out of pocket any silver they see.

    Your humble servant.

    Mojo
    CRH Mojo "Thanks For buying American"

  21. #20

    Jul 2007
    USA
    1,801
    8 times

    Re: Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

    For your information Mojo, the Balboas are exactly the same composition as halves and therefor will be counted if dumped. HH Mark
    Life is a coin, you can spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

brinks culling
,
brinks silver halves
,
cull silver
,
do banks cull silver coins
,
does brinks cull silver
,

does brinks sort out silver

,

does brinks sort out silver coins

,
does brinks sort out silver quartets
,

does brinks sort silver

,
silver coins brinks
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3