Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

bluesalt

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2009
http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/brinks_ups_the_ante_to_50k_for_tips_in_burglary/12544/

In this article about a break in at Brinks, they mention that "silver 50 cent pieces were taken". To me, this could either mean that Brinks has been sorting out silver halves and storing them, or that the author was simply differentiating the "silver" half dollars from the "gold" dollar coins.

What do you think?

Upvote 0

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga
They used a cutting torch and then had to abandon efforts due to smoke and fire. Duhhhhhhhhhhh. Much easier ways to get into a safe than a torch. :tard:

S

seger98

You pose a very good question there :icon_scratch: Alot on here think that Brink's or whoever else are too big to sit there and seperate them. But I don't see why they couldn't have at least one employee looking through them. You also hear of people finding silver coins in the reject bin on CoinStar machines. MY bank has told me that silver and Canadian coins are rejected in their machine, so why couldn't it be done on a larger scale at Brinks, Garda, whoever?

Chris

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
They don't sort here. Maybe in other places. Brinks boxes are the best ones I have ever gotten. I have found Walkers, Franklins, 64s and 40s. Maybe they only sort out the Barbers where I live.

Jim

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fistfulladirt said:
If by chance they were sorting, Ya just can't shoot ALL the fish in the pond! FFD

I disagree. If they had a real system of sorting it would be accurate. They may miss one here and there, but not all the ones people here report they find. Any system would be some type of machine, they are not going to have workers picking through the coins.

Buy I hope people propagate the story about them taking out silver. If it means less CRHers out there, I am all for it.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jim4silver said:
Fistfulladirt said:
If by chance they were sorting, Ya just can't shoot ALL the fish in the pond! FFD

I disagree. If they had a real system of sorting it would be accurate. They may miss one here and there, but not all the ones people here report they find. Any system would be some type of machine, they are not going to have workers picking through the coins.

Buy I hope people propagate the story about them taking out silver. If it means less CRHers out there, I am all for it.

Jim
Well, that explains my String of skunks! OK, i'm quitting, done! Lol

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
I don't think that they would waste their time like us doing it. Think if they find a huge collection. Well they are out $1500 bucks till the sell it again. It would seem that it would just be a headache. Plus once you assign someone to take care of that department you have to pay them,lost time,etc. I know they deal in millions but I don't think it would be profitable for them.

S

seger98

There could still be a sorting machine that kicks them out, now it may not catch them all, but tell me why there are some many stories on here where people find silver in the coinstars reject bin? why would they be rejected on some simple machine like that?

And I do remember what my bank told me about their reject bin.

Chris

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
seger98 said:
There could still be a sorting machine that kicks them out, now it may not catch them all, but tell me why there are some many stories on here where people find silver in the coinstars reject bin? why would they be rejected on some simple machine like that?

Chris

I give up. OK, Brinks sorts for silver. Everyone here who has found silver in Brinks boxes has been super duper lucky ducks.

Jim

S

seger98

jim4silver said:
seger98 said:

Chris

I give up. OK, Brinks sorts for silver. Everyone here who has found silver in Brinks boxes has been super duper lucky ducks.

Jim

I give up too, cuz it looks like your not reading what I wrote very well, I said it may not catch them all.

Also if you know this for sure, can you verify it?

OP
OP
B

bluesalt

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2009
I would suggest that it might be done by a new machine they are using, and as such isn't being used at all facilities yet.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I don't think they sort the silver out but, I do think they keep track of it. I think the only people who sort it out are people like us. I think they knew what was taken because it was accounted for. I think they can't account for everything. Because people order boxes and take out silver all the time. If they are getting orders and all they have are silver ones they have to ship them. I do think lots are accounted for and melted down for making bars to be horded by the government as well.

Keep @ It and HH!!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
seger98 said:
jim4silver said:
seger98 said:

Chris

Jim

I give up too, cuz it looks like your not reading what I wrote very well, I said it may not catch them all.

Also if you know this for sure, can you verify it?

All is can go on is what I and others here find in their boxes. I have no evidence one way or the other. But my opinion is that there are too many being found for there to be a system of removal. If they went to the trouble to sort them out, they would have a way that would be effective. People are finding from time to time way more than one or two here and there. Machines do not normally make mistakes like humans, unless the machine is broken or malfunctioning.

I think that the science exists where such a machine could absolutely be made. But I don't think Brinks in my area uses such technology.

Also, Brinks is a liaison for the Federal Reserve and the banks they service. As such, the coins really don't belong to them per se. They are sort of like a holding facility for the Fed. So for them to "take" out coins could be a problem in that regard. But again, I don't know for sure.

Jim

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you notice in the story

Since the burglary, investigators have concentrated their efforts in three areas:
- Reports of significant deposits of coin and/or large purchases made with coin resulted in leads being followed throughout Ohio as well as the states of Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

All you guys in these states better have a good alibi for the night of Jan 17 :wink:

S

seger98

cyberdan said:
Did you notice in the story

Since the burglary, investigators have concentrated their efforts in three areas:
- Reports of significant deposits of coin and/or large purchases made with coin resulted in leads being followed throughout Ohio as well as the states of Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

All you guys in these states better have a good alibi for the night of Jan 17 :wink:

Very good point..

And jim4silver. I understand what you are saying and respect your opinion. Are they or aren't they, I don't know either!

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have suspected that brinks has someone on the inside for some time now. i have had some good brinks boxes but they are few and far between.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just do not see why not an individual at Brinks can not spot one silver and keep it. Not stealing but replacing it for a clad from his pocket.

Any answes to this????

DW

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
OK

Here is my opinion.

Brinks does not cull Silver.

(The word Silver is also used to describe just about any coinage)

I primarily get Brinks boxes and not only get silver but Canadian $2 coins, Balboas and other assorted goodies as well as 3 British penny's. All of which would be rejected at my dump banks coin counter.

The reason I believe this happens is... is that their machines that count and wrap are not of the same type that you see at your local bank. But huge, highspeed contraptions with a giant hopper. that is fed with a conveyor belt that is transporting the coin from a highspeed counter for verification of the bags of coins that all the banks are sending in. and you just got to believe that there is tons of Half dollars passing through the system. Why me and another guy that I see dumping at my dump bank go through 25,000 halves a week alone. "And We Ain't Alone."

Here in Detroit. Brinks is 1 of 2 carriers (the other being Loomis) that serves the tri county area of over 4 million people and 1,000's of Banks.

It is a miracle that any silver gets to that point but luckily for us it does.

They probably do not discriminate like a coinstar that handles small amounts. Therefore they get passed through......... "Thank God."

As far as them culling for profit they already make a ton of money doing what they do best. Processing Coin. So no need to take a chance of paying an employee to scan and cull silver because there is no guarantee that there would be a steady supply of silver and be cost effective for Brinks. It is all chance.

I'm also pretty sure that an employee could not exchange out of pocket any silver they see.

Your humble servant.

Mojo

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
For your information Mojo, the Balboas are exactly the same composition as halves and therefor will be counted if dumped. HH Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread