Picked up interesting bag of halves

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I was out of town today and stopped at a couple of banks. One had a sealed plastic bag with $500 in halves. My first impression was gotta be dumps, because of the round number and because they said one customer brought them in.

I took them anyway. Once I got to the car I found a 40% in the bag at the top, so I thought it might be a good score.

Found a total of 5-40%ers and 1-64.

But what is interesting is the bag was filled with lots of BU and close to BU halves somebody had been saving. Not one marked CRHer coin out of the lot. Lots of 1972d, 1973d, 1974d, 1977d, etc. coins that looked great.

Somebody must have decided to cash in their "collection", too bad there was not more silver in there. Maybe somebody thought they had removed all the silver before they turned in the rest?

I formed some rolls out of best of each year and the rest went back into the wild. I checked all the 74d for DDO and found none. That is way too much work to do on a regular basis.

Jim

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OmegaMan said:
Nice score :thumbsup:
It just goes to show, buy everything they have.

:thumbsup:

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any halves are always worth checking. WTG :thumbsup:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Too bad whoever it was did not collect the good years. Mainly 70 back if you know what I mean.

Golden Silver

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Hey Jim, I find the same thing with the handrolls lots of BU coins with some keepers . People are cashing there halves in but most of them are too new . Best of luck with buying bags you are bound to hit a motherload sooner or later . I would love to get at those 4 machines that I have run into ... they have to be good there is keepers floating around in the rolls around these towns . Take care and HH , Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread