all the banks in my area are closed tomorrow

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Same here SC. I plan to do some shopping at the local coin shops. I have saved up a little bit of dough in the last couple months and it is burning a hole in my pocket. Although we may have another pull back this spring, I think gold and silver are gonna do some amazing things later this year and possibly beyond.

Jim

S

seger98

jim4silver said:
Same here SC. I plan to do some shopping at the local coin shops. I have saved up a little bit of dough in the last couple months and it is burning a hole in my pocket. Although we may have another pull back this spring, I think gold and silver are gonna do some amazing things later this year and possibly beyond.

Jim

I hope you are right about that, I just bought $100.00 in face vaule of silver coins today for 10 times face!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
seger98 said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

I hope you are right about that, I just bought $100.00 in face vaule of silver coins today for 10 times face!

I don't know what else to invest in right now but PMs. Stocks and real estate are gonna fall more as the economy tanks in the next couple of years.

P.S. What kind of coins did you buy? In my opinion, the best bet in junk silver is buying 90% Kennedy halves or Franklins that are not too worn down. The reason: I predict that down the road if silver does go way up, that coin dealers will start weighing junk silver when you sell to them and not go by the number of coins (face value) that many use today. For example, 5 old and worn down Mercury dimes are not going to have the same amount of silver by weight as a Kennedy 64 that is in good shape. If silver is 25, 50 or more per ounce, they are not going to want to pay for silver that does not exist because it is worn off (the face value method).

Around here the price for halves is the same as quarters or dimes when you buy from a coin store. Don't know what it is like elsewhere.

This is just my opinion though.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
10 X face would be a good deal right now on Ken 90%, as I paid 10.2 X face 2 months ago, and silver is higher now.
I specified to my dealer that I wanted only Kennedy halfs and not Franklins, Jim is right, less wear overall on the Kens.
Wow, I wonder if I should put my paycheck contribution into PMs and not my 401K, as I just got my quarterly statement and it's really tanking! FFD

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fistfulladirt said:
Wow, I wonder if I should put my paycheck contribution into PMs and not my 401K, as I just got my quarterly statement and it's really tanking! FFD

I saw where the ave. American lost over 20% of their net wealth last year, probably due to the stock losses and probably job losses too among other things. See article below.

I got out of stocks a couple of years ago and am happy I did. But you never know what could happen. The stock market could go up again before it crashes later, just no way to tell.

Now I have no 401K or anything like that. I am self employed so anything I put in would have to come from me.

If I worked someplace that matched my contributions, I would keep doing it up to the amount they matched and would try to invest in GLD, SLV or some other ETF if possible. Not as good as physical in my opinion, but it supposedly tracks the prices of the commodities.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...STYLE12?Title=Americans_lost_22__of_net_worth

Jim

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
That's originally why I started doing this, and then found out how fun it is!! I lost my a$$ last year in the market. Now I'm adding to the bottom line with silver and gold. I am putting 10% in my 401k with a 5% match and my wife is putting 8 in with a 4% match. It should pay us well in the long run as we are 24/23 respectively.

HH tomorrow all, and to all a good night! I'll hunt for you Silvercop

S

seger98

Jim, I bought $60.00 in Franklins, $30.00 in Mercury dimes & $10.00 in Roosevelt dimes. Also bought 7 LC's & 1, 2 center. (not included in earlier post total)

as far as losing about 20% net worth, yeah I'm in that group atleast on paper, I haven't sold any stocks yet, I can wait it out as they are all dividend paying stocks!

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
seger I'm with you there on those divy paying stocks. They're worth hanging onto for the yield at least. I hope some that I own (non-banking cos) don't cut divys.

S

seger98

dandow20 said:
seger I'm with you there on those divy paying stocks. They're worth hanging onto for the yield at least. I hope some that I own (non-banking cos) don't cut divys.

Mine are all utilities! I always figured that people have to pay their bills or get turned off!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread