Box of Pennies - Skunk?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Searched a Brinks box today and was skunked on all fronts. No wheats and no copper. Seriously, not a single pre-82 cent. I never thought it was possible to get skunked on pennies. Roll after roll and the oldest was a 1983. What sort of freak pulls every single piece of copper? I pull some copper, but only the near uncirculated ones. Even if someone hoards the copper, what are the chances that an entire box would be devoid of copper? With all the cents that need to be rolled and boxed, I would think it would be a near impossibility to have a box without copper.

Upvote 0

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Yep, I've run across a few boxes that were wheatie/copper skunks, even had 82 zincs in there. But to answer your question, I for one am one of those "freaks" that pulls all of the copper from each box. Got a ton of it. Now, I go through all of my cents by hand, but if you want to talk to some real copper "freaks", ask some of the guys with Ryedale machines :o! They are really pulling some serious copper.. Good luck,, Gpurs..

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
DD, no offense taken :wink:. I think "freak" is probably a good thing in most cases.... At any rate, the Ryedale is fine if you are looking to cull copper in a hurry. However, I like to variety(error) search, and must pick both coppers and zincs out of each roll in search of errors :-\. At one time, Mr. Ryedale himself would post here when someone was discussing his machine. Have not heard much of it lately.. Good luck, Gpurs..

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
You got a Brinks box from when Coinstar was asking them to pull copper last year. I used to get up to 30% boxes like that.
Since copper has been down, I believe Brinks is releasing some solid copper boxes. I've gotten 4 so far - they also have a lot of wheats with them.

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Yeah, I got a couple of those skunk penny boxes last year down here. No copper, no wheats, all 1982 or newer. HH

FL Junkman

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I've been doing lots of penny boxes lately up in my city. Maybe one of my boxes made it down to you :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread