Where is the best place to put coins?

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
When I began hunting I never thought I'd get as much as I have. Now it's almost out of control. I'm curious to see what others opinions are as far as where coins should be kept. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but even as I have an alarm system in my house I'd hate to see my hard work disappear because some loser robbed me. Again, thanks for polling and any comments would be appreciated.

HH all!

Upvote 0

hit80s

Dec 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I am a safe haven for your coins ...........send them to me !!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chose "main safe in the house" because it doesn't cost you money like a safety deposit box (but I think that would be the safest). Yes it costs money to buy the safe, but as long as you keep the combonation a secret, you will have the safe for life.

As long as they aren't out in the open you should be alright. I would recommend to everybody that they at least get a safe, one that 1 person can't easily carry out (at least 100lbs) and preferably one that can be bolted to the floor.

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
although, TF if I can interject, I think if anyone tried robbing you we could all assume you would face the intruder similar to your picture and follow with a double tap, or as the Army's politically correct term, 'controlled pair', down range toward the burglar. I still crack up everytime I see your pic.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st) Loose lips sink ships. Tell no one. You know your friends would never rob you. But someone they tell that also tells another might just do it. We all are proud and post our finds here, but most of us here appear to not give out too much personal info on where a thief could locate us. Lets face it, most thieves are not internet savvy but there may always be a smart one out there.

2nd) What money? I do not have any money. Let me tell you about all of my debts and bills... People who appear to be broke do not get robbed as often as a wealthy appearing person. A long time ago when I was a boy my grandmother told me the story about her family friend that had a nice coin collection and he used to show it to everyone as he was proud of it. Well you guessed it, someone cleaned him out. I think that this happened during the previous Great Depression.

3rd) Knowledge is key. You could keep your silver in an empty paint can on the garage shelf next to the other paint cans and no one would ever be to the wiser. A fake book on the shelf like you have seen in the movies or even a hidden room would work.

If I had enough to make a stash I would keep it hidden somewhere close instead of a safety deposit box. I guess I just do not trust the banks enough to rely on them and if something were to happen to me, could an heir get access to my deposit box without going through a bunch of red tape? I have kids to feed so no stashing for a long time for me.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
This is an issue I have spent many hours contemplating, and right now no answer is good for me. I chose safe deposit box only because I rent currently. Since someone else (landlord) and who knows else has a key to my place, I cannot risk home storage.

If I had my own place, I would have a HIDDEN safe installed.

But storing at home has risks. Don't bet that a big gun safe or even old jeweler's safe is really "safe". Most safes can easily be cut with a torch or opened with a sledgehammer. Also, weight is not really relevant. I have read that it only takes two men and a glorified dolly to move a several hundred plus pound safe into your house when you buy it. Thus, the same could remove it. You say it is bolted down, back to blow torch and sledgehammer.

The average crack head burglar does not spend much time in a house and will have a hard time with the safe if it is bolted and a good one. But if you get known as a silver and gold collector you might get a more organized burglar that has time and knowledge.

My personal view is that if you are a home owner, a very good hidden safe that is fireproof and professionally installed, plus a good home burglar alarm system will protect your stuff from all but the most sophisticated burglar. I am a big fan of home burglar alarm systems because it lowers the amount of time the thief has to take your stuff significantly.

With respect to safe deposit boxes, yes the bank can go under and it will be hard to recover your stuff. Or if the government declares some type of emergency they could close all banks and boxes I guess. But the trade off is a burglar is not gonna get it. However, creditors can get a judgment against you and have your box contents removed to satisfy the judgment under proper circumstances.

A last thing to consider is if you have some type of significant other in the house. If they decide to split, they could remove your coin stash and take it. I have seen some bad things in divorce cases where such activity went on and could not be proven by the party who got his/her coins taken.

Jim

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Since the question is where to store to avert fire and burglary I chose Safe Deposit box. My only concern with a safe is that a gunman like TF :wink: can get you to open your safe.

HH,
65GT350

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Right now, banks scare me. I can't help but keep my savings in one, but I think maybe if the silver was buried somewhere it might be safer! FFD

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Scott (Mich) said:
You could keep your silver in an empty paint can on the garage shelf next to the other paint cans and no one would ever be to the wiser. A fake book on the shelf like you have seen in the movies or even a hidden room would work.
Scott (MI)

Dammit. Now I got to find new hiding places... Remember your loose lips comment??? LOL

Mojo

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Security through obscurity. Plus, I have 5 dogs. Burglars take the path of least resistance. Many have an inherent fear of dogs. A burglar might be brazen to take on one dog, but 5 is a pack.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
In a large safe lowered 10 feet into a vault bolted to concrete in a dungeon guarded by space aliens that look like hillary clinton. No one is going near those puppies.

Golden Silver

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should all get a nice size SAFE from Arts lock and Safe. Bolting them to the floor is the best way to keep a safe unless you get a built in wall or floor safe.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
The first place a burglar is going to look at and go over carefully is a bedroom. A safe that can be carried away will disappear. If a burglar discovers a safe that cannot be carried away he may pass that info on to someone that is into armed home invasions.
Banks are the safest places for now, but that can change.

I spent many years looking for small contraband items hidden away in houses. One of the best ones I've found in a house was a hidden compartment in the wall.
Someone had removed the molding on the wall near the floor. Cut away some of the wall and simply replaced the molding clipping it in place.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
okay a safe may deter some burglars....but what about a home invasion....its been happening more and more often....what good would a safe be then if they have a gun to a loved one's head....or are beating you within an inch of our life until you give them the combo...i guess there are pros and cons for every option...it would probably pay to spread your stash among several of the options so that only a small portion is at risk and not the whole cache....that way if bank locks up you still have the rest ...even home invasion you could give the combo up and still have most of your stuff....hopefully they won't kill you anyway....nowadays they have no regard for human life....just look at all the cops that have been killed

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
I'd think that having a main safe in the bedroom would lead the intruder to think that its the only one. To me two safes would be sufficient, an obvious safe with not much crap and your a secondary safe with your good stuff in it. Although a fire doesn't really help that out because it can still melt coins inside a fireproof safe. I think the ultimate situation would be a cache in a remote location to which you are the only one who knows about it. The only thing I'd worry about is damage to the coins and someone seeing where you put it.

Thanks for all your inputs!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the ultimate situation would be a cache in a remote location to which you are the only one who knows about it.

I think you are correct. I'll be over tomorrow with my shovel :wink:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I think the ultimate situation would be a cache in a remote location to which you are the only one who knows about it.
only problem with that is what if you were to die suddenly? then your heirs would be left with nothing ...although on the other hand there would be one more hidden cache for treasure seekers to find ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread