How do you sort dimes?

S

seger98

My wife does the dimes, they make the dates to small for me :-\ anyway, she looks at the dates!

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008
Yes they do if you have any Canadian dimes put one in a roll and look at the difference as a silver dime will look merks look the same as the regular silver dimes

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not do dimes but I may start. The halve is getting more dificult.

DW

OP
OP
P

Pirate Hunter

Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for the answers.

I finally found a 64 and I see the difference. I found it from doing the rims and they do stand out. Thanks again.

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
I have been skunked so much recently on dimes, I am going to lay off. Edge searching is the way to go.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search primarily by sound. I search only bags from coin counters so I don't have the luxury of sliding out a roll already on edge. Edge searching takes too much time for $1,000 bags. I dump the bag onto my work area and slowly spread them out and pull them into my hand before dumping them a handful at a time back in the bag. Because of their white color 99% of the silver is found before they ever get to my dump hand. Occasionally however a very dark or very shiny one will avoid detection. As they clink together in my hand the silver ones make a unique tone that alerts me to double check the handful before letting it go back to the bag. This method also allows me to check for proofs and other "oddball" items in the bag.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I mostly do dimes because you are always gaurenteed at least 1 silver coin. Except for last time I did them. I got none. I look at many factors including the color of the dime.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just edge hunt them but I also look at any suspect coins ie, super dirty, extra thick (maybe a proof), & super thin (thats how I found my Barber).

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rim search, then I tumble them in my hands and listen for that ring...

HH
-GC

acute collector

Mar 26, 2007
wisconsin
I do it in my car..... I have built a machine that sorts out the silver and other forien coin out. it take about 15 minutes for a $500 bag.

but I've built one for home.... that way I can get 3 bags at a time and sit at home ....... and watch it fall into the silver jar.

dont ask for a pic of the machine......... copyright..... trade mark ...... patent...... then I will sell you one .......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread