odd statehood quarter silver or error or what?

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Sorry to bother with this question, but I felt the need today to start searching quarters. It happened when I decided to buy quarters yesterday and searched them on the way to work...finding a 52-S!!! So I was like, this is easy so I'll buy more!! Well I found a 2003-D today that from the edge appears all silver, not worn or anything. I don't think it's silver, but could it be on a canadian planchet? Where are the canadian coins minted? Regardless it's weird, I'd just like to know more about it. The edge though looks more like Canadian quarters edges.

Thanks,

DD

Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Must provide photo's.

There can be silver proof's

I doubt it's a Canadian planchet.

Does it sound Silver?

Mojo

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
My camera is not good enough to capture the edge color, but it is very similar to the canadian quarter look. It does not have the same sound as a traditional silver quarter, and is not quite the same (although closer) to the sound of a regular quarter. It is an Alabama quarter. I've never seen anything like it, especially after looking at the edges of the statehood quarters.

Very odd, I'll try to take a highspeed photo tomorrow, but there is not a bit of the traditional 'clad' color on it.

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It's plated. Not Canadian. Canadian coins are minted in Canada.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I have seen this on many clad coins. The copper sandwich effect isn't evident and you get an all nickel rim.

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
often when I cannot read the date and it looks silver I will do the sandpaper test.

just take a piece of sandpaper and run the edge over the copper will show up very fast if it does not you have silver...

I know it lowers the value of the coin but most of the ones I do it on are just junk and hopping they turn into junk silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread