dump bank fights back

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
while i was dumping 2K today in halves the bank manager came out and told me to stop by her office before i left.....i knew what was coming and sure enough she dropped the f word on me. she said that "management had decided that my halves were excessive and it was costing them too much wear and tear and repair of the machine" she said the bank would have to start charging me a fee for the halves of 5%, unless i rolled them and brought them in....so i asked her for 10K in rolls and she said she only had 5K so i took them....just got finished re-rolling and i am coming in tomorrow with 5K at once. they don't know what they have gotten themselves into, because i was spreading my dumps around as much as possible, but now they get them ALL :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I tried to warn you. You are playing With fire. Too much activity has drawn attention.

I can understand them having a problem with those of us dumping thousands of half dollars on their very expensive machines.

Maybe you can save both you and the bank a lot of headaches, and do like LJ and some of the more refined coinroll hunters do and ask if they would supply you bags and you can bring in 5 bags of coin ready to ship.

Most banks that I know of around here are required to crack those rolls and bag them up. Pain in the but for them. Plus an excessive amount of coin can also bring the fee word.

No wear and tear on the machine no paper used and no pain in the but rolling. You can deposit or cash out based on the weight. 1k should be 50 lbs there about. you may have to explane it to them or suggest it youself. Be more proactive in the solution process.

Easy for you better for them. And if they agree maybe you can increase your order if this works out.

No one gets upset and everybody is happy.

I can't emphasize enough. Do not rock the boat. Or say good bye to CRH'g at least to the degree in which you currently practice and enjoy.

Banks are not in the buisness to fund your hobby.

Mojo

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Mojo is on the money with bags ... my dump bags gives them to me ,it was their idea . I dont have to have them weighed or anything I just cash them in and if they are off they add or subtract from my acct. btw has never happen in 10 months . Those 1k bags are awesome I can unload 2k in clad in less than 5 minutes.

I have found out that alot more banks will take dumps if they are all bagged and they can just ship them out ...best of luck ,Ed

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
never thought of that mojo / scalper, good idea. If I ever get to the point where I'm doing that much I'll definitely make that suggestion. Learn somethin new everyday!

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
From what I was told banks have a contract with Brinks etc. The price they pay is the same no matter how much they pick up or send back.
The fees they threaten are just another means for these legal(?) loansharks to gouge more money out of us.
The banks are a failed business that we the taxpayers are funding.
So get your silver and dump away. If they don't like that too bad.

Ju8vP3t

Unfortunately I have to roll, no banks in the area will accept bagged coins, and none have any counting machines that I'm aware of, I've asked the tellers, they have to unroll all coins that come in and bag 'em, beleive me I've asked if I could bring in coins in a bag, but it's a "no go", no problem, I'll keep rolling :wink:, CRH did net me over 200 ounces last year :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
well as promised i went back to the dump bank today with 6K rolled halves. before i entered the bank with the halves i went to the bank manager's office and told her that i had the halves just as she had asked, and i asked her did she want me to bring them to a side office for someone to count and she replied "na just take them to the teller line" with that i said ok and i went to the car and got the first bag. when i got up to the teller i told her that the manager now insists that i bring in rolls and not to run them through the coin machine. i told her i had several thousand dollars worth. her face turned pale white and i thought she was fixing to pass out, but she began counting and sorting and placing a rubber bands around rolls of 5. it took an hour and 15 minutes for the exchange, and i could see the manager looking out of her office at the line the whole time. when she was almost finished i told her, you know the manager insists that i do it this way and i really am sorry for the inconvience that she has caused me to put you through, and i have another 5K at home.i really thought she was about to hit the floor at this point. i then asked her if she would suggest to the manager that i be given the bags that are in the coin machine and i would fill them loose with 1K each and bring them in. i told her i would even take them to the vault for her if she wanted me to and she said she would go ask the manager. she went in the managers office and after about 5 minutes she came out and gave me 7 of the plastic bags like they use in the coin machine. she said the manager agreed to label them and send them off to be counted and the bank would credit or debit my account for any shortages and overages. so i think it all worked out pretty good after i proved my point. i really don't think the bank manager realized what she was getting into when she told me to roll the halves before i brought them in. well guess we will see. sure will make my dumping alot easier and faster.

S

seger98

Hope that continues to work for you, sounds alot easier for everyone! So then "NO" fees?

sodiumrye

Dec 27, 2008
NW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Still swinging my old Garrett master hunter ADS2
Okay first off, I am not a roll hunter or what ever it is called, but my niece is a teller and she says all the tellers hold silver for someone including her. And no its not me (DARN IT). She says the management doesn't have a problem with all the rolls and dumps coming and going. She told me that she had heard from management that Brinks was in the process of setting up a system of culling the silver on their own and this silver rush was nearing its end. Something like they were only going to accept bags and they would give back rolls. HEY!!!!!! Dont shoot me this is just a rumor I heard.
Now as far as my bank, they charge 5.00 to cash in change. They will accept rolled coins but they have to take them outta the rolls and put them in bags. I asked the teller why and she told me she didn't know, it's just the rules. Then she told me that once the bag was full they shipped it.
Now for the question I have.
I was told that the dime bag has to have 1000.00 in dime before they ship it, and the teller said in the 9 yrs she has worked there they have never shipped a dime bag.
Should I buy that bag?????????????????

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
sodiumrye said:
She told me that she had heard from management that Brinks was in the process of setting up a system of culling the silver on their own and this silver rush was nearing its end. Something like they were only going to accept bags and they would give back rolls. HEY!!!!!! Dont shoot me this is just a rumor I heard.

I will believe it when I see it. If they were gonna cull silver, they would have started long before now, after many CRHers have removed so much of it. I am sure that Brinks gets on the phone and calls all the banks and tells them these types of things. "Hey, guess what all, we are gonna start culling silver".

One thing people forget is that Brinks does not OWN the halves. They belong to the banks and the Fed. Brinks is just the liason between the banks and the Fed. In my opinion, if Brinks started removing and keeping the halves there would be issues regarding this.

I guess this rumor of silver culling will live on longer than Bigfoot sightings, even though CRHers keep finding silver in Brinks and CWI boxes everyday.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Silvercop

Congratulations on an amicable solution to your issue.

It sounds like this situation has improved to both of the party's satisfaction and is a huge improvement in your ability to search and dump.

Mojo

Troy Ounce

Jan 16, 2009
Southeast
Detector(s) used
Whites6000 ProXL
I am lucky, my banks are free as long as I have accounts.I do suspect F's to be coming from the dump bank .I have sent so many Halves
through their machine , it just will not work on halves. However no F's yet though the machine is broke right now and has been for 2 weeks.
At one of the other locations where I must go (30 min. out of way) they have new machines that will eat the crap out of coins.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Troy Ounce said:
I am lucky, my banks are free as long as I have accounts.I do suspect F's to be coming from the dump bank .I have sent so many Halves
through their machine , it just will not work on halves. However no F's yet though the machine is broke right now and has been for 2 weeks.
At one of the other locations where I must go (30 min. out of way) they have new machines that will eat the crap out of coins.

It's great having a bank with a good machine. I have 2 dump banks that have good, fast machines- the tellers must operate them in that they are not self service lobby machines- and those tellers never seem to mind running the coins.

The banks where the machines jam and break down all the time are where I get the most whining from the tellers, because they have to constantly stop and remove a stuck coin-- you can hear that BEEP BEEP BEEP sound in the bank all the way from the back room where they run the coins. I hate that sound cause I know they are not gonna be happy when they bring me the empty bag back.

Jim

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
I do not use Paper money for anything but to buy Rolls & Boxes instead spend Halves for EVERYTHING including Electric & other bills- yes still have to do bank drops but am alway searching for ways to use them as currency.

One idea got after seeing a business advertised with a sticker on the back of a Half got is to maybe market them so to local business(s) as change in their registers; yes it would be allot of effort to get it rolling (pun intended) but if it worked it would be a good way to get rid of them & in commerce.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread