My Oldest Foreign coin found in Half roll: 1863 France coin

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider being more than 140 years old, it's not in bad shape. Thanks for looking.

P2221293.JPG

P2221294.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack_Mightyheart said:
Looks silver. Is it?

No, it is copper and it's very dark; I took the picture from an angle so I could get the detail. It seems to me that Europeans did not like use silver for coins; Did early europeans use gold-base monetary system?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Yinzi50 said:
Jack_Mightyheart said:
Looks silver. Is it?

No, it is copper and it's very dark; I took the picture from an angle so I could get the detail. It seems to me that Europeans did not like use silver for coins; Did early europeans use gold-base monetary system?

I have some gold French 20 Francs coins that date from the 1860s to the early 1900s. I know there are earlier gold Franc coins too. Don't know about silver but I would not be suprised if they had those too. Most European countries had gold coins in the mid to late 1800s. These have been my favorite gold to buy in the last 6 months. Low premiums on VF to AU coins that were actual money over 100 years ago. Also, you get smaller sized coins; the modern bullion fractionals have super high premiums now. I also have some Prussian 20 and 10 Mark coins, Spanish pesetas, Swiss Francs, etc. Wonderful coins.

I believe that these old European gold coins will be popular here in the future.

Jim

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty crazy that something that old would be in US circulation.....Very nice find though!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find - congrats!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is cool I found a 1853 this summer detecting, I thought I had dug a large cent...lol

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
You never know what your going to find when you open these rolls. That is why this hobbie is awesome.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread