anyone try grading from PCGS?

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
has anyone here tried sending a coin to PCGS for grading? i want to send a few of my Bens i found to be graded....i'm pretty sure they would grade in the high 60's or i wouldn't bother sending a Ben. at MS65 they are $50.00 and at MS65 they are $950.00...so i would say its worth sending a few in to see. only i can't figure out what its going to cost or which is the right service to pick. they give many prices for many different types of service. basically i'm very confused and could use some advice from someone with experience. they also have a drop off deal to certain dealers...which i'm very leary of considering my past experiences with these people(coin dealers). any help would be appreciated

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
GT....thanks for the link .....in looking at the examples provided there and the descriptions...i think a few of these coins could make FBL. there are no contact marks, or gouges or scratches. im most instances my coins are better looking than the ones they show. there is just that small smudge to the left of the clapper which looks to me to be a bag mark.not sure if the lines are showing through it but a stronger magnification might show these lines are there. i only used a 10x loupe and my eyes aren't the greatest.
I think what they are saying is that if you set a min of 65 and less than 60% of the coins make a 65 then you pay $5 per coin that didnt make the 65. You still pay the $10 per that makes the 65.
so when i submit these i have to set a minimum grade i believe these to be? why is that ? why don't they just tell you what they grade, regardless of what they turn out to be? why do i have to submit a non-educated guess? it says you have to be a collectors club member. so at $49 silver level i get one free coin grading quarterly.if i go with gold level at $129 i get 4 free submissions and at platinum level at$199 i get 8 free submissions. looks like i got some thinking to do. i wish there was some way to show some of these to you guys but i can't seem to get the right light to show the lines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread