2-25-09 34 silvers.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 606
  • 2-25-09 11 franklins.JPG
    2-25-09 11 franklins.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 629
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Congratulations, nice score, that 54 in the last picture looks like it's in pretty decent shape.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXTim said:
and who says Brinks boxes have no silver?

Congrats!!
ha, that is funny..........90% of what I sort is brinks

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Great score.

Those rolls look similar to the ones I have been getting lately (minus the silver on the ends). The rolls are not tight like they used to be. There is paper sticking off the side so it is easy to unroll them by tearing. In the past the rolls were so tight I had to bash the roll on the corner of a metal file cabinet to split them open.
Now I can just pull the roll open by grabbing the paper sticking out.

I wonder if others have been getting Brinks rolls that look like this since about a month or so ago? Don't know if they are using a new rolling machine or what. I don't think the rolls I get are being searched and returned because I do find a few 90s and 40s in them occasionally.

Jim

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Jim: Suggestion for opening the rolls - use a single edged razor blade to slit the roll down the side. No need to bang the rolls against a filing cabinet. Less work for you, and less of a chance of damage to the filing cabinet.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
If I zoom in really close on the top pic, the Walker looks like it has a D mint mark...and from the pic with all the coins the front appears to be 1938. am I seeing things?? :tongue3:

Hopefully those boxes got distributed down here in Indiana, I have two brinks boxes today!!!

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Curious, what's the mint marks on those 53 and 54 franklins.

Also, whats the date on the walker?

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XX said:
Curious, what's the mint marks on those 53 and 54 franklins.

Also, whats the date on the walker?
getting ready to go detecting, so I will check the franklins later, the walker's date is worn smooth

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
silverfinder said:
Jim: Suggestion for opening the rolls - use a single edged razor blade to slit the roll down the side. No need to bang the rolls against a filing cabinet. Less work for you, and less of a chance of damage to the filing cabinet.

Silver finder and Jim and all.

After many years my technique has gone from picking it open from one end and pushing them out from the other side too, Cutting them in half to what I do now.

I hold the roll up right firmly in my left hand with one end exposed and sticking out about 1".

With a ordinary Steak knife in my right hand I stick the point under the ridge from the inside (From Center of top of roll) push through till about 1 inch of the knife is portrudng. (be carfull. I have cut myself 3 times now when getting careless or tired)

Then twist and pull and rip the entire curled over edge....ring. This will leave the end of the roll completely open and unobstructed.

Set that roll down and grab next roll & repeat. after the entire box has had it's tops popped your steak knife should look like a skewer with 50 rings of paper stacked on it.

It takes some practice but after 1 box you should have this technique mastered.

You may not shear the entire ring off but if you manage to rip 1/2 of it off you should be able to push them through..

Which brings me to the next step.

Set the knife down. Grab a roll and grasp it again the same way but instead of it sticking out you will be holding it halfway in or the sheared end in the center of your palm.

And with your left hand push the coins out using your thumb. off center as to force the coins to tilt. This will make it easier to slide / push through.

As a matter of fact your really not pushing them through but loosening them to the point where you can now slide the paper roll off of the coins with your right hand into your left in a cascading motion which clangs the coins together and is the first step in your search. (listening for that sweet sound of silver) this should still leave the stack of coins lined up in your hand for the edge check.

Try this method. I can Search a box in less than 15 minutes this way.

Mojo

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Great Box. Man if that walker had circulated a couple more times it might just be a paper thin silver wafer. You saved it from extinction.

Golden Silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Thanks Silverfinder and Mojo for the tips on opening the rolls. The old metal file cabinet I use is already in crappy shape and the side I use to bang the halves already shows some wear. I found I can open the rolls real quick with a good whack on the side.

Mojo, I keep sharp objects away when CRHing if possible. I used to use a box cutter and cut my fingers a few times (that is how I got to banging the rolls against the file cabinet, which was a tip from a teller-hitting the roll on the side). It works well but if I get too many boxes I can feel it in my forearm aching the next day from hitting too many rolls against it.

Never thought CRHing could be dangerous or damaging to the body if you are not careful. But it can be I guess. Even lifting too many boxes can be bad for the back it seems.

Jim

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
jim4silver said:
Great score.

Those rolls look similar to the ones I have been getting lately (minus the silver on the ends).  The rolls are not tight like they used to be.  There is paper sticking off the side so it is easy to unroll them by tearing.  In the past the rolls were so tight I had to bash the roll on the corner of a metal file cabinet to split them open.
Now I can just pull the roll open by grabbing the paper sticking out.

I wonder if others have been getting Brinks rolls that look like this since about a month or so ago?  Don't know if they are using a new rolling machine or what.  I don't think the rolls I get are being searched and returned because I do find a few 90s and 40s in them occasionally.

Jim

That is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the pic above.  Most of my Brinks boxes lately are starting to come all loose rolled on one end.  I was thinking someone was beating me to the silver until I started getting a few silvers here and there.  I just figure maybe they are trying to make it easier for the older tellers to get the coins out???   :icon_scratch:  Not sure exactly what is going on, but it is happening here in IN too.

Nice job on the silver Goes4ever!

HH
cmhoose

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread