Elusive silver quarters

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 4 months of crhing....seen lots of posts about poor results with quarters. Any theorys to why? I had been doing some collecting of coin op amusements before last summer...wasnt into crhing at the time, but have to agree silver quarters were scarce. I cant figure out why if people are turning silver 1/2's, mercs, buffs, & wheaties into the wild why not quarters? With the common useage of the quarter one would think there'd be more circulating around.

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they exist..... :D

hit80s

Dec 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I think once a silver quarter hits circulation it would be yanked by someone instantly

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit80s said:
I think once a silver quarter hits circulation it would be yanked by someone instantly

I agree. Also, I think with all of the interest generated by the State Quarter Program that folks tend to pay more attention to Quarters.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
waseeker said:
hit80s said:

I agree. Also, I think with all of the interest generated by the State Quarter Program that folks tend to pay more attention to Quarters.

I Agree.

Mojo

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
in a 1 1/4 yrs of crh i have yet to do a single roll of quarters b/c i know better. You never see them. The one and only i have was snagged by my good teller for me.

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Quarters are so big and easy to spot and common in circulation I'd say they get pulled by everyone, not just folks like us. Pennies are easy to overlook, dimes are small and easy to overlook too. Halves aren't in circulation, except those we put in.

BTW, my grandmother said the biggest fight she ever got in with my granddaddy was when she picked up all the old silver dollars he had in his dresser and took them to the bank for safekeeping. She deposited them into their account. :sad11:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my top 3 theories about why silver quarters are so hard to find (compared to halves or dimes).

1) They are the biggest denomination of the common circulating coins (halves don't really circulate) that had silver and therefore when silver was pulled by everyone (back in Hunt brothers days), quarters were the most profitable of the easy-to-get coins.

2) If you look at your change and what percentage is of what denomination (excluding the non-circulating halves and dollar coins), the percentage will likely breakdown as follows from highest to lowest: pennies, quarters, dimes, nickels. This is because if you get change you will get at most 4 pennies, 3 quarters, 2 dimes, or 1 nickel due to reaching the next denomination (i.e. instead of 5 pennies you would get a nickel). As a result quarters are circulated at a rate of 1.5 times the rate of dimes and thus pass through that many more hands and are that much more likely to be pulled from circulation. Also due to their value, quarters are less likely to sit in a piggy bank for years than dimes as they add up quicker.

3) As stated by somebody else above, quarters are bigger and just plain harder to miss....even for those with bad eyesight.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GMan00001 said:
Here are my top 3 theories about why silver quarters are so hard to find (compared to halves or dimes).

1) They are the biggest denomination of the common circulating coins (halves don't really circulate) that had silver and therefore when silver was pulled by everyone (back in Hunt brothers days), quarters were the most profitable of the easy-to-get coins.

2) If you look at your change and what percentage is of what denomination (excluding the non-circulating halves and dollar coins), the percentage will likely breakdown as follows from highest to lowest: pennies, quarters, dimes, nickels. This is because if you get change you will get at most 4 pennies, 3 quarters, 2 dimes, or 1 nickel due to reaching the next denomination (i.e. instead of 5 pennies you would get a nickel). As a result quarters are circulated at a rate of 1.5 times the rate of dimes and thus pass through that many more hands and are that much more likely to be pulled from circulation. Also due to their value, quarters are less likely to sit in a piggy bank for years than dimes as they add up quicker.

3) As stated by somebody else above, quarters are bigger and just plain harder to miss....even for those with bad eyesight.

Well said!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread