New to the forum!

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I have been lurking since December and decided to finally join. When I was off for winter break I decided to go to a bank, pick up a few rolls, and look for the speared bison error.
Although I didn't find one, I did find a 1911 Liberty Head nickel! In quite good condition too. Needless to say, I was hooked.

Today was the first time I bought a bag from a coin counting machine. The first bank refused but the second one allowed me to. I bought a bag of pennies and got a box of nickels.
I didn't really have much luck with the pennies. I only got 8 wheats but I did find a 1998 wide am.
The nickel box on the other hand worked out pretty well for me. I found not only my first buffalo nickel, but my first four! All dateless unfortunately, but still quite exciting. Two of the buffaloes were in the same roll and all of them were in the first third of the rolls in the box. I also found two war nickels (usually I only find about one a box).
Anyways, I was wondering how you guys get close-up pictures of your coins. I would like to post some pics but I can't seem to get anything but a Liblurty Head nickel in my pictures.

Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction! For closeups, look on your camera for the "macro" option.

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Thanks. I found the macro option.

1998 wide am
IMG_1379.JPG

1911 liberty head nickel
IMG_1403.JPG

Is this a straight clipped planchet or did someone take the belt sander to it? Is there any way I can tell? The edge does look a tad bit like it has been grinded.
IMG_1400.JPG

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Thanks! I'm still in disbelief that I found one in such good shape with such little hunting. Beginner's luck eh?

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
Welcome !!
I hope you know lol life will "never" be the same now lol.
You will start to think all of the time about the "next" roll of coin.
Or, you will think omg that little old man walking in the bank
has rolls of coins that you"have" to search.!!
Then will come the "road trips".
Checking out all of the local banks and "knowing" they have coins
that you have to look through. Also, planning the next weeks bank run
as if it was the only thing that matters.
Waking up in the middle of the night thinking "ok what bank gets the
dumps today"
Oh wait.! :o Sorry this is what "I" do ::)
Welcome! and great pics.
hh dan

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
well you went and did it and now your hooked. i suspect it won't be long before your posting daily on your finds. Welcome to the madness >:D

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever heard the term "Money is the root of all evil?" That is not true. "A 200 mile road trip finding only another CRHers dumps is the route of all evil."

Be sure to remember to do your chores, kiss your signifigant other once in a while, hug the kids, pay your bills, feed the pets, go to work or call in sick, etc or your CRHing will come to an end

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey FG, call me supersticious but you are in the Beginners Luck era. You need to go back to that bank that let you buy the bags from the machine and get the halves, dimes and quarters if they will let you. If you found that nice V nickel chances are somebody turned in some other coins from their collection. Just some good advice worth taking if you ask me. Your first months are usually the best when it comes to this hobbie from what I have seen and experienced. Oh, and if those bags are not full yet fill them up and then purchase them. I think you may find some goodies.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I actually got the Liberty Head back in December. That's what got me hooked. I got it out of 20 rolls that I purchased on a whim. I do hope to get into the whole bag thing though. Although my first bag of pennies wasn't too great, I'm certain that it will eventually pay off. I would like to find a larger bank that will sell me bags though. The one I got the penny bag from is pretty small and it takes them a while to fill up their bags.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
All the better to get what is in the bags that are already there. That way you know that you have gotten what has been sitting there for a long time.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread