Large Dollars from the Bank

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've been trying to order some Large Dollars from a couple of banks in town and no luck. I've actually got pretty good relationships with both and I believe they tried but said no go. One bank said that they have several hundred, but they were loose not bagged. I'm thinking that means they would've noticed any Morgans or Peace's, which is what I'm looking for. I've seen on the FRB's website that they still offer them in $1000 bags. Anyone know how they could be ordered? I'm sure my bank's would, if they knew how.

On a lighter note, they were happy to order halves! ;D

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I have had no luck ordering the large dollars. Never found a silver one yet.

Golden Silver

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I'd like to see where it says that on the FRB's website. Could you post a link? I know I saw on the US Mint's website that the FRBs no longer carry them and to consult with a coin dealer if wishing to obtain them. But I can't find the link right this second.

OP
OP
alabamadan

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I found it here:

http://www.frbservices.org/operations/currency/coin_depositing.html

I called my local Loomis dealer and they said they don't have them and played dumb too. I did however finally talk to the vault manager (the guy down in the basement somewhere) and he said he had a few hundred dollars in rolls that have been sitting down there a while. He's supposed to call me back and let me know how much he has.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
I have ordered Large dollars several times. They are still available if someone wants to take the time at the bank to research it. I have a bag coming in tomorrow. I will post pics for everyone to see. I am pretty sure all they come in is in bags not wrapped in boxes. I dont get them all the time because there is a fee for ordering these. The bank waives the fee about once a month for me, other than that it would be $22 for a bag of 1000 large dollars. The branch manager is my neighbor so I know the fee is coming from the carrier.

Thanks,
Jason

OP
OP
alabamadan

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
This guy is the vault manager and he's happy to be rid of them.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
alabamadan said:
I found it here:

http://www.frbservices.org/operations/currency/coin_depositing.html

I called my local Loomis dealer and they said they don't have them and played dumb too. I did however finally talk to the vault manager (the guy down in the basement somewhere) and he said he had a few hundred dollars in rolls that have been sitting down there a while. He's supposed to call me back and let me know how much he has.

That link certainly does seem to indicate that you can order the Eisenhowers through the FedCash system. However I am fairly certain that it is restricted to the availability of bags of these coins. I don't think they normally have any in stock.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
As promised here is a picture of the Large Dollar bag I just got today at the bank. They are available for any bank to order if they take the time to get them. There is $1,000 worth of Large dollars in the bags.

Jason

Attachments

• ikebag1.jpg
    ikebag1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 460
  • ikebag2.jpg
    ikebag2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 465
OP
OP
alabamadan

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just picked up 56 rolls of large dollars from the bank. We'll see what it holds. I hope it isn't a skunk because man are they heavy! Hard to act like it's no big deal with 75lbs of metal in a backback!!!

So Shake, how'd you get your bank to order them. And has it turned out worthwhile?

OP
OP
alabamadan

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Skunk.

I did notice that out of 1140 ikes there are only 4 1973s.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to sure it would be worth my effort! I'm currently on a roll with halves.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
alabamadan said:
Skunk.

I did notice that out of 1140 ikes there are only 4 1973s.

I think 4 73's made it worth your while.... sorta. They are very hard to find in the wild. I always ask for the large dollar coins when i'm out hunting, and have gone through around 4 k over the last 3 years and have seen a 1 or 2 73's since I started doing this. And that was the first year, I've found more silver clad Ikes and Peace and Morgans than 73's.

Mojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
alabamadan said:
Anything to look for other than 73 or type 2 72s?

Type I Bicentennial (somewhat common.) Note the BOLD lettering.

Mojo

Attachments

• t1ikes22809.jpg
    t1ikes22809.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 227
  • t1ikes22809.jpg
    t1ikes22809.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 231

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
What did you get shake? I am dieing to find out. And yes let us know how to order them. I have asked and was always told no.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
alabamadan

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
So with so many Ike's I might as well put together a nice collection of them. I've got 71s, 72s, 73s, 74s, 76s, 77s and 78s. I know that a complete set would consist of a P&D for each. (No S's here.) I've learned the 72s have type I, II and III. I've heard there's a Type I and type II of the 76s, differences in the lettering. Anything else that you would need for a complete set? That's about 18 coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread