MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey.... :'(

I just got back from downtown a 30 min drive one way an hour in all. I get to the bank and ask for $200 in halves. The teller kinda looks at me and is upset and is about to tell me no. :'( I say I do have an account if that's a problem and she calls the vault manager He later brings up my bag of half dollars. :o I take them out to my car to look at them cause the bank says they don't have a spot for me to look at them. A nice bank in CA let me do that once that was cool.

Anyway I search them at my car and I come across a strange roll. :icon_scratch: It has less coins in it and the end ones are sideways. ??? I'm very anxious to find silver so I open it and count only 7 dollars. Oh well... Not sure what to do about it I know the bank will never believe me so. So I take a few coins from one roll and put them in the short roll. I hope they won't worry about counting them but... :icon_sunny: They do, and they want to run them in the machine and not give me my money till the next day. :o :-\

So I tell them one of the rolls was short. They tell me right away... :director: No ! Not possible they come form the federal bank blah blah blah. :tard: Well I tell her it is possible and it happend. :protest: She calls the manager and he says the same thing. Its not possible these come from the fed. People come in here all the time and trade coins. The rolls from the people are short all the time. I say I'm not a liar and not one of them, I would not lie about this. He still fights me :violent1: and I say fine.... I'll eat the $3.00 but I need the cash. He tells the teller to cash me out. Mumble, Mumble.... This should be fun and profitable but I am mad and out money.... :wav:

Keep @ it and HH! :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
So you got coin from Bank A and then went right back in and deposited it at Bank A once again? And you made a big deal about $3? Some may argue the crh'ing ethics on this one...

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Yea do us a favor and stay away from CRH'g.

You might ruin it for all of us.

Never make a stink and never return to the bank you buy from.

Mojo

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They made the big deal about stuff being short not me... I wanted to just cash out.... The last thing I need is crap from you guys after what I just went through and their crap. Hoping for support to calm my anger and get help I get more crap from the people who should support me and help me.

Thanks Alot !! ???

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
No but for real...this is like if you find a prime spot to metal detect, then don't refill your holes, aren't clean, get kicked out, etc. Or you are detecting private property without permission and get kicked out and feel like you've been wronged. Then you post about it on Tnet and expect people to be on your side. :icon_scratch:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I am suprised any banks still put up with CRHers in this day and age. Sooner or later they are going to wise up and either charge high fees or refuse to order halves/take our rejects unless we have alot of money in their banks. Most CRHers (myself included) are probably the least profitable type of client for a bank to have anyway. I know I don't have much money in my accounts (it's in the safe deposit box in the form of gold and silver ;D).

If banks were not so desperate for all the customers they can get right now, I don't think they would put up with all of this type of stuff associated with CRHing.

I say order as many boxes as you can now because there will be a day when CRHing as we now know it ends.
Too bad the boxes in my area have been crappy lately, so I am ordering less than normal. Too many CRHers in the area thanks to sites like this one. All those cool photos with tables full of silver are sure to entice any person who visits this site into becoming a CRHer.

Just my 2cents.

Jim

Ju8vP3t

Yea, have to agree, never take back your dumps to where you got'em, ....the reverse happened to me one time, I brought a couple boxes of dumps back to a bank I use for that, I was waiting for the teller, and a lady that works one of the desks in the lobby (accounts or something) came over (she's a real piece of work,let me tell you, cold and not very friendly) and said, "you know the last box/boxes you brought in for deposit was 1 roll short", so I IMMEDIATELY pulled out a $10 and gave it to her, but you know, I think technically, she didn't have a leg to stand on, because the teller counted and accepted it when I deposited it, and that was probably 1 1/2 weeks prior,....so I was thinking I could've made a mistake, it's never happened before, I'm pretty vigilant when packing up the returns, and I double count, and besides that, I have to re-roll 'em :'( but that's OK, OR she could've said that to discourage me from dumping.....

Don't know if this ironic or not, this is the same lady I returned $40 I had gotten out of the ATM there one time, was making a withdrawal, and the ATM gave me back $40 too much, so I took it back in and returned it to her,....first thing out of her mouth was "no, our machines don't make mistakes" I said well, it did,(beleive me, I wouyldn't give any bank $40 of own money) so she took and said they'd do an audit at the end of day, I turned and took several steps to leave, and she said "oh, thank you" real fast, like it hurt her to say it.......very sour individual

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe you that the fed rolls can be short for 6 coins. I once got a box and one of the rolls was short for 7 coins. There was a void inside the roll and when I touched the top coin it fell down. Since the crimp was still good and not tampered, I immediately brought this roll and another perfect roll into the lobby and showed to the two tellers working there. After they examined closely and they believed me. It was a Saturday and the person ordering coins was not in. So I called in next Monday and explained the situation. I said that if the bank could't get credit from the Fed then I would take the loss. He said to me that the Fed would pick up the difference then he credited me $3.5. But after that he only ordered me 2 boxes instead of 4 boxes. I don't know if it has something to do with the hassle. I stopped asking them to order me coins after a while.

But on the other hand, You broke the CRH Ethics #1. Never return the rejects back to the same bank you bought from. Especially you even want to search the coins on the bank's premise! That's a big no-no.

jim4silver said:
I am suprised any banks still put up with CRHers in this day and age. Sooner or later they are going to wise up and either charge high fees or refuse to order halves/take our rejects unless we have alot of money in their banks. Most CRHers (myself included) are probably the least profitable type of client for a bank to have anyway. I know I don't have much money in my accounts (it's in the safe deposit box in the form of gold and silver)
Jim

Jim, you are right. Most CRHers (myself included) are probably the least profitable type. To rectify the situation, I let my direct deposit goes to my dump bank. I think the dump bank takes more beating! They have to pack the coins, writing down information; pull the heavy bags around until armored trucker arrives for pick-up. I also buy more candies for the tellers in my dump bank. The buying bank just needs to remember to fill up the order. Sometimes chocalate will help them not forgetting. I do ask the buying banks if they will get charged for the boxes.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize the original complaint was about a fed roll being short, but this is the exact issue that causes banks to not sell bags of coins off the coin machine. Essentially they say....

"We did once (or maybe even more than once), but the person that bought it, came back in later to complain about it being short a few coins and we had no way to verify it so it just isn't worth the hassle so NO! I won't sell you any bags."

Now being short in a sealed roll from the fed....that's a little bit of a different story. I disagree with the practice of buying and then immediately dumping them back where you got them (unless you know the teller/bank really, REALLY well and know it is okay with them).

Now since you are an account holder at the bank, they should have believed you over the difference of a couple dollars and either just ate the cost themselves or told the armored service who delievered the coins in the first place and made them eat the cost as it is the armored service (or coin wrapping service) which was technically responsible for the shortage. Of course if you are frequently complaining about being short, I would imagine they would quit believing you, but for a one time thing....it should have not been a big issue for them, especially as they should have been able to pass the cost off up the line as it wasn't even their fault.

I have mentioned to a teller that a coin machine was off a handful of times when its more than a few coins, usually dimes counting as pennies, miscounting halves, and once I had a machine miscount my nickels by over $10. In almost all cases, the bank either just believed me and gave me the offage or if there was a way to confirm the amount by rerunning the coin, they did. Of course, the number of times I have done this over since I started CRH'ing doing a lot of volume is less than 10 times total. Every time I have brought something up, I have been willing to let it go as a loss (with 2 exceptions that were both easy to verify by rerunning the coin through the machine which they did and verified I was telling the truth).

Basically, pick your battles carefully as fight too hard and you will either ruin it for everyone. At the same time, the bank can be wrong too.

In your case, if I was able to go back in, I definitely would have told them about a roll being short, but I would not have cashed the halves back in at the same bank. Ideally, the short roll would have been noticed before it was opened and you could bring it back in that way as proof of the problem.

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
GMan00001 said:
I realize the original complaint was about a fed roll being short, but this is the exact issue that causes banks to not sell bags of coins off the coin machine. Essentially they say....

"We did once (or maybe even more than once), but the person that bought it, came back in later to complain about it being short a few coins and we had no way to verify it so it just isn't worth the hassle so NO! I won't sell you any bags."

Now being short in a sealed roll from the fed....that's a little bit of a different story. I disagree with the practice of buying and then immediately dumping them back where you got them (unless you know the teller/bank really, REALLY well and know it is okay with them).

Now since you are an account holder at the bank, they should have believed you over the difference of a couple dollars and either just ate the cost themselves or told the armored service who delievered the coins in the first place and made them eat the cost as it is the armored service (or coin wrapping service) which was technically responsible for the shortage. Of course if you are frequently complaining about being short, I would imagine they would quit believing you, but for a one time thing....it should have not been a big issue for them, especially as they should have been able to pass the cost off up the line as it wasn't even their fault.

I have mentioned to a teller that a coin machine was off a handful of times when its more than a few coins, usually dimes counting as pennies, miscounting halves, and once I had a machine miscount my nickels by over $10. In almost all cases, the bank either just believed me and gave me the offage or if there was a way to confirm the amount by rerunning the coin, they did. Of course, the number of times I have done this over since I started CRH'ing doing a lot of volume is less than 10 times total. Every time I have brought something up, I have been willing to let it go as a loss (with 2 exceptions that were both easy to verify by rerunning the coin through the machine which they did and verified I was telling the truth).

Basically, pick your battles carefully as fight too hard and you will either ruin it for everyone. At the same time, the bank can be wrong too.

In your case, if I was able to go back in, I definitely would have told them about a roll being short, but I would not have cashed the halves back in at the same bank. Ideally, the short roll would have been noticed before it was opened and you could bring it back in that way as proof of the problem.

GMan...the voice of reason. ;D

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
don't sweat it Mud....alot of us are very sensitive about how we deal with our banks. we know we are a pain and definitely not profitable to the bank. so we try to minimize the discomfort of dealing with us even if it means being shorted once in awhile. you were right in informing them of the shortage as they may have a thief in thier midst. or the company may be having machine problems. if others came back with the same problem they would investigate and solve the problem.However...since we do this all the time we are most likely the ones who are going to notice it and let them know about it. then we become a complainer as well as the guy who forces them to go to the vault, carry large heavy bags, empty numerous bags, count all our rolls of dumps, fix the machine when our halfs screw them up,etc. all this for no profit. how do we look to them now? so basically what the guys are saying is,that sometimes its better to eat the loss than shed any negative light on our hobby. we all have been shorted at one time or another.dimes being counted as pennies, short or missing rolls,coins stuck in the counter,junk in our bags instead of coins,etc. but if you look at it in the long run we are getting silver at face value,we get free coins and sometimes jewelry from the counters,we pick up extra coins from the counter(you only dumped halfs but got several other coins),dollars in quarter rolls,etc. basically it all works out in our favor in the end. however being shorted large amounts should always be brought to thier attention. no one is expected to take a $50 loss.

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
MUD,

Never break rule #1.

CRH Ethics #1. Never return the rejects back to the same bank you bought from.

Without ethics we will all suffer.

You are definitely complaining to the wrong group when your actions are so poor.

Just my opinion.

HH

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every so often in my CWI half's boxes I do, they have 1c, 5c, 10c or 25c and foreign coins mixed into the rolls or sometimes they are missing a few coins. Some people that buy bags of coins find guitar picks, washers and all kinds of stuff that took the place of a coin. It sucks but that's the price we pay for buying thousands of coins at once. The way I see it is that you will recoup your losses with the silver that you pull out. You can complain but it will windup screwing you in the end. :thumbsup:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see why you guys are so upset. I usually go into my bank and get 10 pennie rolls, spread em out on the waiting area table, have a cup of their coffee and look thru them. Occassionally, when I find a wheatie, I yell, YEEHAW, LOOK WHAT I GOT, then I take them back to the teller and count them out at here window (I have a hard time filling the paper rolls back up after I tear them apart. :tard:

Lighten up, we gave the banks billions of our tax dollars, the least they could do is let us act like they are our friends. :tongue3:

pssst, before anybody gets pixxed, I'm just kiddin. :icon_jokercolor:

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
davest said:
I don't see why you guys are so upset. I usually go into my bank and get 10 pennie rolls, spread em out on the waiting area table, have a cup of their coffee and look thru them. Occassionally, when I find a wheatie, I yell, YEEHAW, LOOK WHAT I GOT, then I take them back to the teller and count them out at here window (I have a hard time filling the paper rolls back up after I tear them apart. :tard:

Lighten up, we gave the banks billions of our tax dollars, the least they could do is let us act like they are our friends. :tongue3:

pssst, before anybody gets pixxed, I'm just kiddin. :icon_jokercolor:

LOL!!!
Take it one step further and search them at the teller's window.
Reminds me of those clowns in front of me at the C-store who scratch off their lottery tickets while I'm in line trying to buy my six pack!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
The bank I order from is my MAIN bank. I do 99% of my transactions there. Not only that, one of the tellers used to work at my dump bank, so she knows me from there.
They know me well enough that if I were shorted, they would most likely reimburse me for the amount I was shorted.

They always told me I could bring the searched halves back and they would gladly take them back, but I insisted on the rule "You order boxes for me, and you will never see them again".

Worked out just fine.

I have been taking time off from CRH'ing. Last box I got was last October. When I get my tax refund in a couple of weeks, I think I will get back into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread