Besides silver coins, do you collect other silver?

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My wife and I just went into a re-sale shop where they sell used clothes, but also knick-knacks and the like. Sort of a 'salvation army' type store.

I picked up a really old silver 'tea pitcher' and a tray, spent a whopping $6.00 for both. They are really old and SOLID silver. Very heavy, probably a combined weight of 5 pounds.

Does anyone else pick up similar items?

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Solid silver? can you take a picture of the markings on it?

I collect anything silver, jewelry, coins, silverwear, whatever is silver!

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
SOLID silver would be very soft... I have a sterling .925 spoon and plate that were given as a baby gift. Each would easily bend in half.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in the form of coins,bullion, and Silver Mexican Coins.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Just coins for me. I find silver jewelry metal detecting. When I do I sell it and buy silver coins.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect sterling 1892-1893 Chicago Colombian Exposition spoons, but I only have 15 of them. :thumbsup:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
check out the garage sale finds thread.....those guys are always buying silver
me personally i hold onto anything silver and gold. i have rounds,ingots(bars), coins, flatwear,etc

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
TreasureFiend;
Being from Chicago and interested in the 1893 Worlds Fair, I assume that you have read Erik Larson's "Devil in the White City"?? It is historical fiction, and a great read! Truly a turning point in American history right there in Chicago at that specific moment in time! Incredible how many critical new inventions were being put into use, and the impact that they would have throughout the world to this day.
Here is a link:
http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/devilinthewhitecity/home.html
- Grizz

hit80s

Dec 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace 250
i get every chunk of silver i can get my hands on

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i buy and resale some silver items like you describe, but let me tell ya they are not solid silver. i took a candle holder and a silver platter into a dealer a few months ago and watched him "prep it for sale" he took a hammer and beat it flat. when he began to hit it a "filler" that looked similar to sand came out. he threw this "filler" away and all that was left was a flat sheet of silver resembling a piece of aluminum foil.

hit80s

Dec 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I have ran on to a few people that think they have a fortune in german silver lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions