I need help!

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I went into (name withheld)Bank in my little town on Tues. afternoon. There are 2 branches there, both of which have coin counting machines in the lobby. These are free to use for all customers; thusly I opened an account up last month to use these machines. I dump most of my halves into these 2 branches, as none of the other local branches have the coin counters. I asked when I opened up the account about doing this and was told it was fine, as long as I had an account. Last Tues. I went to the Main St. branch to buy some brinks boxes. I did not return anything, and hadn't done so in about 2 weeks. I also had never bought any boxes there, but only 20$ in nickels one time about 3 weeks ago. The head teller said sure to my request of 2 dime and 1 nickel box. He also said he had been saving my the bags of pennies from the machine and asked if I wanted them also. I said sure and gave him the $$ for all I had asked for. He said he needed a 2nd person for the vault, and after about 10 mins. of looking, a lady from a side office came out and said she would go with him. They come out of the vault and the lady says " I will sell you the bags of pennies but nothing else". I asked why and she said " I know what you are going to do, you will go out in the parking lot and bring them right back in and run them through our coin counter". I replied that I had never done that, and she asked "What are you going to do with them then?" I said that I didn''t really think it was any of her business, but that I hunted through the rolls to find older coins and when I was finished; I re-wrapped some and returned them to other banks or took most of them to another bank with a coin counter. She said " NO! I wont sell you anything else". I asked if I could talk to someone else about this, and she said"No, I am the boss, and I said NO! Did you hear me? I said NO!". She walked off from me. The head teller apologized and said he would have sold me anything I wanted. Well, he gave me the $$ back I gave him before, but shorted me 100$. He gladly counted his drawer back and made this mistake right. As I was leaving with the 2 bags of pennies I managed to buy, I heard this same lady talking about me to another employee. This really burned me, so I went back into the office where she was bad mouthing me, and explained that I wasnt trying to be a jerk, but had never been turned down when asking to buy coins, esp. where I had an account. She again asked "what are you going to do with the $$?" I again, explained what I did and said that it really wasnt any of her business. She asked again, "What other banks do you use?" I replied the same as before, but did tell her the names of the other banks I have accounts with. I told her I would call her superiors.

This was all done in front of a lobby full of customers and employees, and she never once identified herself as the manager, and had no name tag on. I called the administrative offices and talked to her boss, L@@@(didnt get her last name) and L@@@'s boss(district manager) D@@@@. After 2 days of deliberation, he says the following(this isnt exact word for word but is gist of the 45 minute call)
1.The machines, even though they have no limits posted, have limits(which they wont say what the limits are)
2. Next week, the machines will have a sign that says the bank may charge account holders a fee for using the machine(now it says 5% for non acct holders and free to acct. holders)
3. I can only buy brinks boxes for a fee
4. No (name withheld) branch will accept rolled coins, but only a few branches have a coin counter
5. Even if I deposit all the coins ran through the counter, I will still be charged a fee
6. An email apology(which was never received) is all I get

This is in no way fair to anyone! If they do this, your bank will be next! They are buying 6 more branches in the Columbus area as we speak, so this trend will only grow. I abided within all their rules amd regulations and was up front when I opened the account, but now they change the rules. They wont tell me how much I can bring in for the machines, and pretty well said I wasnt welcome to use them at all. I only run through maybe 500 a week, and this is split up over 3 branches that have the counters. I also only buy maybe 3-4 boxes a week from them, over 5 other locations. I never buy coins, go outside and go through them and then go back in and return them. I also never take back enough at one spot to fill the bags in the machines. They kept asking me what I intended to do with this "small account". They reviewed my account history and again, I was asked by every person I talked to, why I opened the account, and what I was going to do with it. Where was my privacy? Is this discrimination? They sell to any other business(I own my own business but was told I still had to pay a fee for any change I bought). When I said that I would pay the fee to buy dimes from them(they use Brinks and their dimes are clear wrapped, so you dont have to open every roll, but only the ones that you can see have silver in them)but he wouldnt say they would sell to me. The branch manager said she would sell me only loose change from the machines, but D@@@@ wouldnt not confirm this. I asked what the limits would be on the machines, and he told me it was subjective. You have no way to know if you will be charged a fee until after you have fed the coins through the machine.
The first 2 times I was in there this same woman(branch manager but had no name tag on then either) had smarted off to my little girl, who is 2. She was walking around the lobby area while I was using the coin machine, and the lady attempted to pick up my daughter. She wasnt getting into anything or in anyone's way, she was just walking over to the candy machine. She went on to attempt to correct my daughter for hiding behind the little 25 cent bubble gum machine thing. The next time we went in, she smarted off again to my little girl and to me as well. I didn't put it together till today, as she never identified herself and had no name tag. I am yet to even get an apology!

I am asking each one of you to call the District Manager and voice your concern over this matter, and to call the Branch Manager and express your concern over her attitude and actions.(contact info upon request) Again, if this policy goes into effect, your banks will follow and the roll hunting hobby will die! I could see if I was asking for 1000's each week, but we are talking less than a 1000 a week over 5 branches, and bringing back WAY less than that; maybe 250 average a week coming back and never to the branches I buy from.

You can IM me with any questions, or if you want, you can call me about it(IM for #). I would like the advice of an attorney as to if this is in any way discrimination.

Thanks for your help!
Randy

Upvote 0

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I don't understand any of this. Have you all forgotten the purpose of a bank is to serve it's customers like any other business. Coin is a legitimate form of United States currency, it says so right on the coin. As such a customer with an account should be able to request his money in any form of US currency he desires correct? If you asked a bank to pay you only in $1s or $5s or $10 or whatever they do it because it's what the customer asked for. They don't say "sorry it will cost you a 5% fee on those $1 bills because of the extra transportation and the time and trouble for processing that quantity of bills" give me a break. Plus, I keep hearing people defending the banks saying it does cost more for the bank to get coin because of transportation.....how do you think they get their paper money?
A bank is in the business of money and should do its job. I would never give in to a business that simply doesn't want to do its job. Denying them your business isn't enough. Make them do their jobs. Demand payment in legitimate US currency and stick to your guns. I'll put my name on any petition you come up with m7.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Texas. It is a bank, but it is still a business. If you ask for coins, they need to do their damn job and give them to you. Don't let them hassell you. I think a lot of tellers are just sick of coin roll hunters, but they should still have to do they're job..
I went in today and only got 100$ worth of coins, and the teller looked at me like I was crazy, and she was even asking why I wanted them. So I told the truth, and she got them for me.. I shouldn't even have told her, because it is what I asked for, and it is what I should receive without and questions.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
That is what I am talking about guys. Banks are there to deal money period. That is their job.

Golden Silver

kbinski

Sep 29, 2008
That must have just been one of the worst experiences a human could possibly go through. You must feel horribly discriminated against and harassed. By all means you must pursue a lawsuit.
I find it hilarious and ridiculous you want the advice of a lawer... only in america!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey kbinkski, I don't know where your coming from but it's probably somewhere out in left field. Do us all a favor and keep your rude @## comments to yourself. If you have nothing good to contribute then just don't contribute. It is simple. You don't have to mock the guy just because he has a backbone and decides he wants to stand for something. You would probably just roll over take whatever they had to give you.

Golden Silver

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
kbinski said:
That must have just been one of the worst experiences a human could possibly go through. You must feel horribly discriminated against and harassed. By all means you must pursue a lawsuit.
I find it hilarious and ridiculous you want the advice of a lawer... only in america!

yeah... I just don't get it...... the bank wants me to bring my $800 payroll check everyweek, deposit it, make 10% giving it out to someone else while I get .0235 % on my saving but when I ask them to cash in coin (which it says free for customers) They tell me to go to hell. And what some of you all are saying is I am supposed to be ok with this because it costs the bank money. The bank that charges me $29 a pop to cover a check in the morning before I cash my check at night. The bank that charges $35 dollars to drive my info over to the title company when I am getting my house refinanced....... etc.
Bottom line is its part of the buisness.... they should accept it or get out. That it costs money excuse is bull. It costs alot to heat those big atriums and run all the fancy lighting they have in some of those places why dont they stop doing that? But you would say "no one would want to go to a bank with no heat or fancy lights outside". I say to you....... why would you want to go to a bank that refuses coin!!!!!!!!!! If you arent going to help and get on the banks side and let them get away with it without making a big stink about it why dont you just give up the hobby. If you arent part of the solution you are part of the problem. If they see they can get away with it with one customer.... they will keep on doing it.

OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
to the kabinski guy...... would you allow someone you didnt know to touch your child and attempt to pick her up... grab her by the arm and drag her to you? My little girl is 2 yrs old.. weighs 25 pounds and is VERY shy and quiet..... and humiliating and embarrassing? Yes VERY... I am an ordained minister..... and in front of 15-20 people my integrity was called into question repeatedly.... everyone there knows who I am and my profession..... now each time I ever go back in there or any of those people hear my name, they will think or say.. yeah another preacher who was doing something wrong or illegal... must have been one of those or else the boss wouldnt have let him have it... they can never give back the part of my reputation that was tarnished..... now if you wish to make your comments count instead of leaving rude messages annonymously online, I will gladly give you my home number so you can call me.....

As for a lawyer, I simply want to know where I stand legally on this... is it discrimination of any kind.... I want this information for now but also future use... I do not in any way plan to sue anyone.... I simply want an apology and want their policies in writing...my little girl cries when I want to take her in this place now... I have to have someone sit with her in the van..... since I watch her each day, I have no choice but to take her with me everyplace I go.... I get a lady from church to sit with her while I CRH one day a week, but only pick up from a few banks and come home to sort. I do thank the rest of you for each of your kind words and support during this situation.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Your family comes first. And I being a father myself understand and empathize with you on that matter.

If this incident has traumatized your child perhaps you should consider putting this hobby aside for the time being.

I would certainly take the rude treatment issue up the ladder.

With you being an minister and all I would say to you........ WWJD.............

Mojo

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
minton7 said:
... I am an ordained minister.....
As for a lawyer, I simply want to know where I stand legally on this... is it discrimination of any kind.... I want this information for now but also future use...

If you are a minister, then you know where the answers lie. Not with an attorney, but in God's Holy word.

So, here is something for you.

"If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the saints? Do you not know that the saints willl judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent enough to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church. I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody amog you wise enough to judge a dispute? But instad one brother goes to law against another - and this in front of unbelievers! The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? WHy not rather be cheated?"
I Cor 6:1-7

For those that are not ministers, don't say this is irrelevent in the "real world". I know it doesn't always make sense to some. But to a minister, of which he is one per his own words, and of which I am one, it says a lot. I've been cheated before. And walked on. And stepped on. And I've not pursued things i COULD pursue, including a situation where someone stole some money from me through fraud. So although I wouldn't go back in that bank again if it were me, I would not bring talk of an attorney to the situation, as that would cause more damage to your reputation, or shall we say your walk, than walking away and letting it go. It's a hard cross to bear when a situation like this comes up, but this is where the talk hits the walk. Where Sunday carries over to Monday.

As for talking to the higher ups? Of course do that. Let them know that someone was doing something inappropriate with your child, and also the coin situation can be discussed. But stay true to the teaching you give on Sunday. It is better to not get satisfaction, even if owed to you, rather than damage your own walk by going to their level. Oh - and later in that same chapter Paul says "Everything is permissable for me - but not everything is beneficial." Well, you can read it all if you want. Just put your own walk in front of your desire to gain retribution or talk in ways that would not be ... beneficial. :-)

And God bless in your ministry.

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
Ok
I have stayed out of this for I have very strong feelings
about people being rude.
But, here goes.
The 1st thing that needs to be done is very simple.
If, it was me I would be on the phone to corporate.
I would let them know that for no reason would I
allow anyone to be rude to the most important thing
to me and,that would be my child.
While doing this is needs to be done in a "strong" but,
professional manner.
Never ever, be rude while doing this and, never ( I know
you would not swear ) cuss.
If, it was me I would demand an apology in writing and,
male sure you keep telling them " I AM NOT HAPPY
ABOUT THIS" in a calm but firm tone in your voice.
I would not go to her boss I would go straight to corporate.
If, you go to her boss he/she may try and protect her whereas
corporate will make sure it is "handled" in the right way.
I personally have had to go this way twice in my 27 years
of owning my own business and, trust me when I say this,
corporate "does not like it when people complain"
Both times for me I was given the apology that I wanted
and, once they made the branch manager walk into my business
with a very nice crystal candy dish full of candy.
This is how "I" would handle this matter. If, you need any help
send me a message and, I will help any way I can.
hh gl
dan

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
jrf30 said:
minton7 said:
... I am an ordained minister.....
As for a lawyer, I simply want to know where I stand legally on this... is it discrimination of any kind.... I want this information for now but also future use...

If you are a minister, then you know where the answers lie. Not with an attorney, but in God's Holy word.

So, here is something for you.

"If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the saints? Do you not know that the saints willl judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent enough to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church. I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody amog you wise enough to judge a dispute? But instad one brother goes to law against another - and this in front of unbelievers! The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? WHy not rather be cheated?"
I Cor 6:1-7

For those that are not ministers, don't say this is irrelevent in the "real world". I know it doesn't always make sense to some. But to a minister, of which he is one per his own words, and of which I am one, it says a lot. I've been cheated before. And walked on. And stepped on. And I've not pursued things i COULD pursue, including a situation where someone stole some money from me through fraud. So although I wouldn't go back in that bank again if it were me, I would not bring talk of an attorney to the situation, as that would cause more damage to your reputation, or shall we say your walk, than walking away and letting it go. It's a hard cross to bear when a situation like this comes up, but this is where the talk hits the walk. Where Sunday carries over to Monday.

As for talking to the higher ups? Of course do that. Let them know that someone was doing something inappropriate with your child, and also the coin situation can be discussed. But stay true to the teaching you give on Sunday. It is better to not get satisfaction, even if owed to you, rather than damage your own walk by going to their level. Oh - and later in that same chapter Paul says "Everything is permissable for me - but not everything is beneficial." Well, you can read it all if you want. Just put your own walk in front of your desire to gain retribution or talk in ways that would not be ... beneficial. :-)

And God bless in your ministry.

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's...Render unto God that which is God's

We are dealing in the temporal plane here and if he wishes to contact an attorney let him do so.

Maybe the bank manager should practice the golden rule a little mre "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try credit unions,they seem to be nicer or try a local bank and not a chain-store type,most of the CU's I deal with have a free coin counter if you have an account.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with bluefin.. take it to corporate, and they will handle it.. As corporate will in any business matter. And what produce guy has said is a good idea also, take up an account at a credit union. I haven't had too much trouble gettin into crh with them.. One time a teller did look at me like I was crazy and asked why all the coins.. But every other teller has been completely cooperative and polite.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I stopped CRHing because of all the questions about why I wanted the coins. I had an account with the bank and I used it a lot. Oh well, I am still into Metal detecting and Coin Collecting. CRHing also lost me $5. I am not bashing CRHing in anyway possible. When I was doing it and did find silver, I loved every minute of it :) But now I have to stop, so I don't loose anymore money. Loosing that $5 really upset me. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread