I need help!

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I went into (name withheld)Bank in my little town on Tues. afternoon. There are 2 branches there, both of which have coin counting machines in the lobby. These are free to use for all customers; thusly I opened an account up last month to use these machines. I dump most of my halves into these 2 branches, as none of the other local branches have the coin counters. I asked when I opened up the account about doing this and was told it was fine, as long as I had an account. Last Tues. I went to the Main St. branch to buy some brinks boxes. I did not return anything, and hadn't done so in about 2 weeks. I also had never bought any boxes there, but only 20$ in nickels one time about 3 weeks ago. The head teller said sure to my request of 2 dime and 1 nickel box. He also said he had been saving my the bags of pennies from the machine and asked if I wanted them also. I said sure and gave him the $$ for all I had asked for. He said he needed a 2nd person for the vault, and after about 10 mins. of looking, a lady from a side office came out and said she would go with him. They come out of the vault and the lady says " I will sell you the bags of pennies but nothing else". I asked why and she said " I know what you are going to do, you will go out in the parking lot and bring them right back in and run them through our coin counter". I replied that I had never done that, and she asked "What are you going to do with them then?" I said that I didn''t really think it was any of her business, but that I hunted through the rolls to find older coins and when I was finished; I re-wrapped some and returned them to other banks or took most of them to another bank with a coin counter. She said " NO! I wont sell you anything else". I asked if I could talk to someone else about this, and she said"No, I am the boss, and I said NO! Did you hear me? I said NO!". She walked off from me. The head teller apologized and said he would have sold me anything I wanted. Well, he gave me the $$ back I gave him before, but shorted me 100$. He gladly counted his drawer back and made this mistake right. As I was leaving with the 2 bags of pennies I managed to buy, I heard this same lady talking about me to another employee. This really burned me, so I went back into the office where she was bad mouthing me, and explained that I wasnt trying to be a jerk, but had never been turned down when asking to buy coins, esp. where I had an account. She again asked "what are you going to do with the $$?" I again, explained what I did and said that it really wasnt any of her business. She asked again, "What other banks do you use?" I replied the same as before, but did tell her the names of the other banks I have accounts with. I told her I would call her superiors.

This was all done in front of a lobby full of customers and employees, and she never once identified herself as the manager, and had no name tag on. I called the administrative offices and talked to her boss, L@@@(didnt get her last name) and L@@@'s boss(district manager) D@@@@. After 2 days of deliberation, he says the following(this isnt exact word for word but is gist of the 45 minute call)
1.The machines, even though they have no limits posted, have limits(which they wont say what the limits are)
2. Next week, the machines will have a sign that says the bank may charge account holders a fee for using the machine(now it says 5% for non acct holders and free to acct. holders)
3. I can only buy brinks boxes for a fee
4. No (name withheld) branch will accept rolled coins, but only a few branches have a coin counter
5. Even if I deposit all the coins ran through the counter, I will still be charged a fee
6. An email apology(which was never received) is all I get

This is in no way fair to anyone! If they do this, your bank will be next! They are buying 6 more branches in the Columbus area as we speak, so this trend will only grow. I abided within all their rules amd regulations and was up front when I opened the account, but now they change the rules. They wont tell me how much I can bring in for the machines, and pretty well said I wasnt welcome to use them at all. I only run through maybe 500 a week, and this is split up over 3 branches that have the counters. I also only buy maybe 3-4 boxes a week from them, over 5 other locations. I never buy coins, go outside and go through them and then go back in and return them. I also never take back enough at one spot to fill the bags in the machines. They kept asking me what I intended to do with this "small account". They reviewed my account history and again, I was asked by every person I talked to, why I opened the account, and what I was going to do with it. Where was my privacy? Is this discrimination? They sell to any other business(I own my own business but was told I still had to pay a fee for any change I bought). When I said that I would pay the fee to buy dimes from them(they use Brinks and their dimes are clear wrapped, so you dont have to open every roll, but only the ones that you can see have silver in them)but he wouldnt say they would sell to me. The branch manager said she would sell me only loose change from the machines, but D@@@@ wouldnt not confirm this. I asked what the limits would be on the machines, and he told me it was subjective. You have no way to know if you will be charged a fee until after you have fed the coins through the machine.
The first 2 times I was in there this same woman(branch manager but had no name tag on then either) had smarted off to my little girl, who is 2. She was walking around the lobby area while I was using the coin machine, and the lady attempted to pick up my daughter. She wasnt getting into anything or in anyone's way, she was just walking over to the candy machine. She went on to attempt to correct my daughter for hiding behind the little 25 cent bubble gum machine thing. The next time we went in, she smarted off again to my little girl and to me as well. I didn't put it together till today, as she never identified herself and had no name tag. I am yet to even get an apology!

I am asking each one of you to call the District Manager and voice your concern over this matter, and to call the Branch Manager and express your concern over her attitude and actions.(contact info upon request) Again, if this policy goes into effect, your banks will follow and the roll hunting hobby will die! I could see if I was asking for 1000's each week, but we are talking less than a 1000 a week over 5 branches, and bringing back WAY less than that; maybe 250 average a week coming back and never to the branches I buy from.

You can IM me with any questions, or if you want, you can call me about it(IM for #). I would like the advice of an attorney as to if this is in any way discrimination.

Thanks for your help!
Randy

Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
some would say you have opened a smelly can of worms. Why would you choose to use someone's real name in your posting. Do you think they also might have a lawyer and quite a good case of libel or slander. I would suggest you delete your post and move on to another bank. slamming someone by name like this will not get you very far. I am pretty sure you will be getting an official letter from the bank telling you they have decided to not need your business anymore. It might even come from the banks lawyers. This advice comes from someone who has the wisdom to know when to quit.
Look, I know you are pissed. Vote with your feet and move onto the next bank. Good Luck, Jim

OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I am only stating the conversation, and in no way slandering or libeling them. This is exactly what happened. If the moderators feel that this should be deleted, them so be it..... I did nothing wrong and yet my privacy was invaded, and when the branch manager was getting after my little girl, she put her hands on my child. So, yes I am upset, but just as I saw all the petitions on here and other sites about the Louisville KY detecting ban, I thought this was the same sort of thing and people might want to voice their dis-approval. I may be way off on this... I did however, edit the post taking into consideration your concerns,better?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Let it go.

there are battles to be fought, but this is not one of them. there is no win for you in it. No matter what you do, or attempt to do, the die has been cast, and you will not win. But, it will eat at you, consume your happy attitudes, and be a potential problem for you until you let it go. Move on to other banks where you are more welcome. :-)

Life is too short to push an issue that is impossible to win.

IMHO

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
M7, I think you are wise beyond your years to edit your post. Good luck with your pursuits, Jim

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
You really cannot blame the banks, sure the lady could have been more polite. Coin roll hunters are really just costing banks more money - They have to maintain the coin machine, they have to have the coin hauled, sorted and rerolled. As well as being charged a fee to buy the rolled coin. It is not surprising that they would deny service or charge you for this as It isn't free for them.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I can't believe you guys don't have at least a little sympathy for this guy. I mean come on if you were treated this way for turning in 500 dollars a week and on top of that having some stranger scold your 2 year old, would you all not be upset? Just reading this gets me upset. Yes, you guys are right that this is probably a loss for our victim here and he must move on but that does not make it right. I think you were right to speak up. Most of the CRHers I have met and converse with on this forum are very polite and hate to be any more of an inconveniance than they already are. They tend to treat people with respect and don't warrant this type of response from a bank manager. I can see if a bank has been made sour by someone buying coin by the box load going to their car and then immediately selling it back to the same bank. People who do that need to wake up. Banks are businesses that are in it to make money but how can they do it with customer service like this. It would only encourage me to close my account and take my business elsewhere. I guess it just depend on the bank bud....I mean I have been to banks where no matter how much coin I drop they treat me like gold and I have been to banks that all I have to do is ask for coin and they treat me like a piece of garbage. To the author of this story I just want to pose the question which bank would you like to visit on the daily basis? I would move on and find one that treats you like gold bud.

Golden Silver

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I have heard of an individual that encountered a similiar situation. He spoke with a lawyer who said that he did not have a case. Not to be put off he had a friend open an account at the offending bank.The friend just happened to be a minority, which of course was a part of the plan. When the friend was given the runaround he went to the same lawyer who took the case and handed the bank an intent to sue letter.
Don't know if the bank manager was fired but she is no longer at that branch.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Sorry to hear that.

Like I've said before.
When you open your account - get it in writing. "Unlimited coin purchase and unlimited free use of coin machine and/or coin deposit and cashout"
Silver Fox also preached about this.
They will readily agree to those terms if they want your business.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I see alot wrong on both sides. I say take them up on buying the bags off the machines and otherwise never darken their doors. They have likely had someone sort boxes in their car and return them right in to the counter, maybe even one of the dummies who posted here recently. Also taking a 2yo to the bank when your standing in line is one thing, but when your preoccupied at the coin counter is another. Personally I think its cute when lil kids get in my lil cart and say "Hey mister, pull me" but thats just ME. The banks around here have quit selling the bags off the counter- period, everything has to go to the armoured service so if you can get bags get them.
HH Mark

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple,

1 The bank manager or whatever she/he was did not have the right to try to touch your daughter you can make a complain about this and even write a letter and I agree with you.

2 On the CRH it is just an other battle. Try to get the best out of this bad situation.
We CRHunters are very smart and change strategies often. The teller that said he/she would sell you everything still can do it. The manager will not know. Work as a team with he/she. Maybe tell him/her you will sell him at face value a portion of what you find.

Otherwise you can not win

Darth Walker

Ju8vP3t

Yea, it's hard to do, but just suck it up and go......things like that have happened to almost everyone, just a couple months ago, my "order" bank canned me, said it had to do with the economy,,,blah,blah,blah...yea right; so I happened into another branch,of the SAME bank, and met a wonderfully friendly person who has ordered for me several times already ;D, So the crap about "new" policies & the economy, were BS, I figured so anyway

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
been catching crap from my dump banks too. i went into detail on another thread here. they told me i could not use their coin counting machine anymore because i had too much volume and it was causing too much wear and tear on their machine. they made me roll my dumps, which i did and brought in 7K in halves rolled at once, after that they started giving me the bags that go into the machine and told me to fill them with 1K each and bring them in and they would buy the bags from me and take them directly to the vault. funny thing though, the first week i brought in about 8K in halves and they just gave me 8K in bills back. for the last couple of weeks they make me deposit the amount into my account and do a withdrawl. i guess this is a way of making a paper trail that they can later use against me and say that i am still bringing in too much volume. i have been expecting them to say something like this any day now.

think all the banks are getting tired of us. and as i said before if a bank wont play ball there will be no game.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
M7

You are right to be upset. But if you were to play it all back with understanding both sides, you might find that two people may have been in the wrong that day

I hate Snooty bank managers as much as the next guy. But I never bite the hand that feeds me. I will walk away from this fight as to not upset the hobby in the interest of all of us CRH's.

I am seeing more and more stories like this on this site every week now because of the influx of newbies and people that go over the top with buys and dumps. It is going to stop soon enough for all of us. Tread lightly.

CRH'g has been around forever but it has grown and continues to grow. and banks will put an end to it. Especially if it's costing them money.

Banks are in buisness to make money off of us and if they feel like they are on the losing side of a account holder they will find a way to deter them like fee's and limits.

If you persue anything at all here make sure it's about the "treatment you recieved". And keep our hobby out of the fight. Avoid the CRH'g aspect alltogether allthough thats how it all started.

Move on. Lot's of banks out there. Sorry for your luck.

Mojo

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Just curious.... so what do you guys think is a resonable amount to dump at a bank per week? I never go over $1000 per week at a bank to spread it out. Do you think thats too much? Some banks think thats just fine and others look at me like I got a tree growing out the side of my head.

I agree with the statement about noobs messing it up for everyone. especially when I hear about people searching tons of boxes. and cashing them in. But on the otherhand I think with all these internet banking companies popping up these banks that handle cold hard cash better keep on doing that otherwise there is no reason to go to them. They will die with the hobby. Don't these internet banks offer way better rates? So then whats the point?

I almost think the banks woudnt want the bad publicity. Dont they know that word of mouth is the best advertizing? It all just really bugs me.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
bigtime400 said:
Just curious.... so what do you guys think is a reasonable amount to dump at a bank per week? I never go over $1000 per week at a bank to spread it out. Do you think that's too much? Some banks think that's just fine and others look at me like I got a tree growing out the side of my head.

Most banks in my area have to wait till they get $1000 in Halves, Quarters & Dimes to ship out. $200 in Nickle's and $50 in Penny's per bag. At that point they can ship them out. so I would try to return in those nominal amounts if your dump banks don't have a coin counter.

They also have to crack open the rolls. If that's the case perhaps they can give you the plastic bags they ship them out in and you can just deposit the bag and save everyone time and a hassle. The 1k in half dollars should weigh about 50lbs. So they can weigh it and cash you out and either credit or debt your account if the count is off.

That way they aren't holding $995 in halves for weeks waiting for another $5 to ship them out so try to help them out a little that way. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

If your not sure just ask them.

Mojo

Mojo

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
well thats why I just do 2 boxes at a time and cash in 2 boxes at a time. Then they can go straight out the door.

BTW.... I was just looking at there website and talking about bad banks. One of the bad branches of a bank I dump at hosted a coin appraisal day. And it said this fellow may even put in offers for some of your coins it said. Now if that doesnt make them pure evil in some of your eyes I dont know what will! Apparetly the are friendly to those traveling coin bandits and not to a coin collector who has been banking there for 15 years.

needless to say I have moved most of my money across the street...........

OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I wanted to say that I am not newbie to this.. been doing this for the better part of 17 yrs....... and my grandfather for many years before that... and I dont overload any 1 bank with buying or cashing in.. I roll all I can and spread out the returns by driving 30 mins one way in 3 different directions to make purchases and returns... my problem was not only how I was treated but how my little girl was treated.... and how can a bank refuse to take rolled or loose coins for deposit? This bank now says they will not take either in branches that have no coin counters, which is most of their branches in this area. I guess my point was that if you cant or wont help me in any way except to criticize me, then dont whine to anyone when your bank does it next.....They take our money for .033% interested, then loan it back out for 7 1/2% interest and the maybe 10 bucks a week I cost them in buying rolled coins is too much? I dont see this.. esp when I now have close to 5000.00 in their bank for me and another 2500.00 with them from the church I pastor..... but just my humble opinion I do want to thank all those who have offered to make calls etc.... I am just waiting on the verdict from the President of the whole banking company..... his underling that I talked to a little bit ago says that I am 100% correct and they will make all this right... we shall see

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
I'm with you on this M7. I agree that banks don't have to put up with CRHing as it does cost them money. I don't however stand for bad/rude behavior from a place that I do business. On top of the phone calls I would put everything in writting and send a letter to the president of the company as well as district and regional managers. You may not be able to make alot of leway on the coin issue, but I know from experience that you should get results with that particular manager. It really is amazing the power of a letter, and if you let the regional/distric managers know that the same letter has been sent to the people above them they get in a real hurry to have the issue resolved. Phone calls are good but having it all on paper for EVERYBODY to see is better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread