LOOMIS MAY BE DELIVERING TO MY DOORSTEP

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
The other day I wrote Loomis and told them I was interested in getting coin delivered to my doorstep and asked if they provided this service. They wrote me back and asked where I lived to find out what distributor to use. Now I know nothing about how much they charge but if it is comprable to the gas and time I already spend picking up at 5 different locations then I just might pay a small fee. I will let you all know what I find out. How cool would that be to order any denomination that you wanted and have it delivered without the hassle of the middleman. I could increase my volume as well. I hope it works out.

Golden Silver

Upvote 0

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Brinks quoted me about $115 per month to pick up 15 half bags per week with a 50¢ charge per extra bag. They would not deal with a residential address. I suspect the fee changes based on the delivery/pickup address. I also suspect you don't want to use such a service to "Swap" like for like coins. They can and probably will just drop your same coins back off the following week (might even be in the same bags).

I also inquired about picking up directly from several depository institutions in the Chicago Federal Reserve District. All stated that I needed a Federal Reserve Account to debit. They would not let me swap cash for cash. I made these calls when looking for IKE's. I figured I had the best chance with those as they might be just taking up space.

Apparently, the depository institutions are paid to store/process coins for the Federal Reserve. The actual cash belongs to the federal reserve. So there is no incentive for the DI to dump the coins as they only get paid for storing the coins, not selling them. The only person who has an incentive to dump them is the one who does the physical audit, but since everything is either bagged or boxed, they only count the bags/boxes, which really isn't that much extra work.

OP, if you can get $20,000 coins delivered (or even better picked up) for less than $20 per week, then I say jump all over it as that would be a huge savings. If it comes to something like $10,000 for $30 per week, then I say it's a tough call, but the time saved may still make it a break even deal. Anything involving more than $3 per thousand, I'd say stick with the free pickup/dump banks, especially if you can dump $2000 plus at a time.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
golden silver said:
What is up with people on this forum lately? Seems to be a lot of snide comments being made on the sly. Gpurs. If I want the truck to come to my house then that is up to me. Geez. Thanks for the inspiration input though.

Golden Silver
Either you must still be in your teens or early twenties, or you are just naturally hyper-defensive about your idea. People are trying to give you good advice, and you are taking it as snide comments. In case you live in a bubble, there are people getting killed everyday for their car or $20. But since you are so certain it won't happen to you, Good luck.. Gpurs..

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Gpurs, You are off on the age. Don't assume anything. You are entitled to your opinion. I am just saying it is on me if something happens. This coin forum is about having fun and I don't understand why a tiny few chime in the way they do at times. I guess it is just a tact issue or a way of putting things. Your manner was insulting. Even as you write your second message you are talking down your nose. I am sure you are wise beyond your years....But your manners are that of 10 year old. If you feel the urge to taint this otherwise friendly forum with your banter I would ask that you PM me and speak your peace.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
It is straight up dangerous.

Criminals are stupid. At least most are. As demonstrated on TV. A stupid criminal will kill you for 50 cents.

Some are sophisticated. And will kill you to cover up the crime.

I do not wish to tangle with either.

You will draw attention especially if you live in a subdivision.

The criminal element is always on the lookout for a target. Looking for an opportunity.

Mojo. ........ Jackson State Prison. Prisoner # 313666

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
golden silver said:
Gpurs, You are off on the age. Don't assume anything. You are entitled to your opinion. I am just saying it is on me if something happens. This coin forum is about having fun and I don't understand why a tiny few chime in the way they do at times. I guess it is just a tact issue or a way of putting things. Your manner was insulting. Even as you write your second message you are talking down your nose. I am sure you are wise beyond your years....But your manners are that of 10 year old. If you feel the urge to taint this otherwise friendly forum with your banter I would ask that you PM me and speak your peace.
No offense intended fella. You are certainly entitled to do whatever you want. You just remind me of myself and many others as teenagers or young men. Brash and bullet proof. I'm all for having fun, but what myself and others are trying to say is that you are looking for trouble, and you will likely find it. If you consider words of caution to be tainting your thread, then I will gracefully bow out :icon_scratch:....

yuggy

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2009
g silver,
Have you seen the news? Those armored truck have been getting robbed in front of the bank and they still have not caught them yet. This is in Hampton roads, I'm in newport news. Be careful around our parts. Bad men here. Good luck.

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with both sides. There is risk having the truck stop by, but there is also risk of someone watching you bring in boxes from your car. Good luck in whatever route you take. :thumbsup:

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
Golden Silver-- I don't post often-- mostly just look to see what everyone is finding.
However, it's just my humble opinion but I think you are off base with your offense to
Gspurs comments. I find nothing out of line with his remarks and they seem to be right
on point to the topic being discussed.
If anyone opens a controversial subject I don't think we can have the expectations
of all replies being "fun" as you put it.

Howeburger

Mar 30, 2007
MN
I don't know if I would worry about all that. Afterall, it is illeagal to commit crime in all 50 states.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
SO how did it turn out? Is Loomis coming to you or not? Do you have an answer
yet? :-)

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
When I started this thread I did not think it would be controversial in any way. For those who think I am off base by being offended you are mistaken. I am not offended by the warnings people have given me. On the contrary I welcome them. My offense comes from the manner in which the warning came from the member in question. I think the situation is corrected and we can move on. I have not heard anything else from loomis. That just might mean they are really slow in their replies or don't care to deliver to a private residance. Either way I will continue my hunt for silver.....criminals or not I will continue.

Golden Silver

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
I checked with a local courier when I began CRHing (not Brinks) to see if I could pick up from their "factory" and they said I would need to have an account with the Federal Reserve Bank before they would sell me any coins. If I could go there and buy directly and cut out the banks I would do it in a minute though.
No problem with an independant courrier about 15 miles from me. I called and they said come on down. I bought 2 bags of BIG DOLLARS and had to pay a fee per bag. Nothin special so I didn't do it again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread