CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Dirtbag,

I hit a bank down here the other day, they had $530 in halves, and I, of course, bought them all. They were in two different boxes., both quarter boxes.

I went through the first box which had 22 rolls, all of which were LM machine rolls, but they had ALL been opened, and then re-rolled and the end folded down.

EIGHT rolls were a coin short!!!!! This cannot be oversight.

You are a thief and a dirtbag.

I hate dishonest folks......

I thought of calling the bank and telling them of this, but it's so difficult to obtain halves here on the coast I decided not to make a complaint. First, I had/have no proof I was shorted four bucks, and didn't want to make waves. Second, I figure getting short rolls is part of the addiction. I have to eat the loss....

But I still am busy hating you......

Sorry folks.... I had to vent.

Robin

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I cannot stand it when people return their halves in the original rolls, re rolled so they look almost perfect. Even when the count is correct it is aggravating.

I am suprised that the bank does not verify the halves' count before reselling them. I don't get hand rolls very often (at least not until lately since the boxes have been so bad), but where I go the tellers will not sell the rolls until they have been verified. Maybe if they see the nice, new looking Brinks or CWI rolls that some CRHer rerolled they think they are original and thus fail to verify them?

Jim

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Call them. Make it very clear that you are not looking for them to reimburse them, but rather you just want to let them know.

They most likely know exactly who brought those coins in. They most likely will be very hesitant to accept coins from that person again.

My sister works for a small town bank in Florida and they know exactly which customers to "NOT" accept hand rolls from because they like to short the rolls.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
XX said:
Call them. Make it very clear that you are not looking for them to reimburse them, but rather you just want to let them know.

They most likely know exactly who brought those coins in. They most likely will be very hesitant to accept coins from that person again.

My sister works for a small town bank in Florida and they know exactly which customers to "NOT" accept hand rolls from because they like to short the rolls.

I would follow the above advice. Shorting rolls has gotten so back around here that a few banks will just bag it up and send it off subject to count. This could also explain how we sometimes get boxes from the couriers that are sealed but have opened rolls in them.

65GT350

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think that a contract may include plus or minus counts of a certain percent. I say this because i have dumped $thousands in coin, halves and dimes, in loose, $500 bags. I know for a fact that some are not right on the count. Been doing this for over a year and i have never been notified of an off count! FFD

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some person we all like to hate was bringing in short rolls to my credit union, so they started making you put your name and account number on rolls. That pretty much put a stop to it. Monty

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
I hate him to >:( but the squeaky wheel does not get the oil, it gets replaced.
I would not call and complain. Just get even. :icon_study:

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Fistfulladirt said:
Hey! Can we say peckerhead?
;D I was thinking the same thing!! I think that "Peckerhead" is so seldom used, that it must not have been included on the list of words to be filtered or whatever... It was a good rant though, and I enjoyed seeing an antique slur used on the guy.. Gpurs...

OP
OP
CaptainRobin

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I enjoyed seeing an antique slur used on the guy.. Gpurs..."

Hey Bud.....

Antique?

You calling me old?

I use the term quite often......

I don't know if the moderators will jerk this, ban me, whatever......

But Woody Wookpecker was a Peckerhead....

I used to watch him every Saturday morning.

Whoever will have to knowingly deposit short rolls is a peckerhead, thief, oh, my, I could get real nasty here....

I appreciate the feedback folks, and I'm not climbing anyone's tree... just saw a good opening for a reply.....

I'm STILL hating the peckerhead.

BTW..... not a single keeper in the whole lot.

At least I can fill a bag.... my dump bank allows me to drop $1K bags that they ship out. Been doing it two years, and have never had a debit or credit to my account concerning the deposits. Gotta love 'em. They even give me the bags.....

Robin

Ju8vP3t

I'd like to know how you re-roll in the same paper..lol Typically what I get is the yellow banded CWI, they're rolled so tight, I have to tear off the paper, impossible to reuse, as far as tellers counting the rolls I brin gin, LOL...I know they don't, I even asked the other day after I dropped off 2 boxes, they unwrap 'em and dump 'em in a bag, Brinks won't take 'em any other way

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had something like this happen to me as well. In a roll there was $9 of halves and 1 Sacajawea coin on top. I really wasn't "shorted", but it felt like I was. :'(

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XX said:

I second this advice. I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year. Some loser was picking up Brinks rolls from a bank across the street then re-rolling them in his car and dumping them at one of my banks. I went back and counted and sure enough I was a few coins short. I called the bank and politely told them I'm not looking to get reimbursed in any way but to make sure the person that was doing this put the correct amount back into the rolls. I'm not sure what came of it but I haven't found any of his rolls since then.

-Codes

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like someones pulling the silver out and not replacing it.Not cool.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Fistfull-

Looks like you have a little snapper there.
Purge him in some clean water for a few days.
He and a couple of his buddies will make some awesome soup! :thumbsup:

Back to those short rolls.
The worst thing in the world is to get rolls like that inside sealed boxes.
Happens around here. >:(

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
TXTim said:
Fistfull-

Looks like you have a little snapper there.
Purge him in some clean water for a few days.
He and a couple of his buddies will make some awesome soup! :thumbsup:

Back to those short rolls.
The worst thing in the world is to get rolls like that inside sealed boxes.
Happens around here. >:(
Thanx for the advice on the snapper Tim. That's a little one, I had someone come out and trap 3 big ones out of the pond....I've cooked lot's of 'em....wife and kids won't touch it , of course....I put 'em in the crock pot with seasonings and veggies....UMMM - UMMM!

FFD

XX

Jan 11, 2008
When a depository institution receives a bag of coins $1000, they weigh it. If it is within 3% (translation $30), they accept it. If it is off by more than 3%, they ship it back. No adjustments are made by the fed with coins.

Now, if your bank uses a cash handling service like BOA or Chase, then they aren't being shipped to the fed, they may be machine counted for verification, and a subsequent adjustment made to the branch which in turn the branch then adjusts your account.

For what it's worth, don't abuse this knowledge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread