Have you ever seen anything like this

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Hello all,

While searching penny boxes today I came across this wierd penny. It kinda hard to tell by the picture but there is a nice solid raised edge all the way around both sides of the penny. With the edge that pretty much rules out someone rubbing it smooth. Also I thought maybe someone put it in a press and smooshed it but then the rim would be gone and the back would be smooth also. Well any ways take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

I think I can kinda make out 1979 or maybe 1978.

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

• oddcoinfront.jpg
    oddcoinfront.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 320
  • oddcoinback.jpg
    oddcoinback.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 322
Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me it looks like the face side never got stamped. I have a blank cent that I found a while ago, but neither side was stamped. those are somewhat common. but the one you have with the reverse side stamped seems to be a pretty big error.. keep it for sure!!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
appears to be a capped die, when the penny gets stuck to one side and the design is clear on one side, while the other is blunted by the penny blank

HH
-GC

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldencoin said:
appears to be a capped die, when the penny gets stuck to one side and the design is clear on one side, while the other is blunted by the penny blank

HH
-GC
That's what i meant to say. I believe you are correct. You can see the memorial if you look closely. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Shake-N-Bake

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
enamel7 said:
goldencoin said:

HH
-GC
That's what i meant to say. I believe you are correct. You can see the memorial if you look closely. :thumbsup:

I think you might be correct... I can see the Memorial, more on the origanal than the scanned picture.

Are these really rare and do they have any value??

Thanks,
Jason

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Yes it has value. Yes it looks like a genuine error. I'm not sure on the value, but I assure you it is were more than a few bucks if it is genuine.

Congrats on the find.

Best way to get second opinions is at a coin show. Ask as many dealers as possible for opinions on authenticity and on value.

Enjoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions