47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm retiring!

Too many skunks, too mant rude tellers, It's just not worth it. It was fun while it lasted. Maybe I'll come back in a while and hopefully the silver has been replenished. But in my area, it's all gone.

I've told my supply banks this will be my last week. The only thing I still have going is my business cards throughout the county. The good tellers still call every once in a while.

Good luck all!

Don't worry - I'll still be around the site. And it's time to break out the little yellow fellow (ace250)

Upvote 0

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
Re: I'm retiring!

i am cutting mine back too next week. i have been doing 10K a week, i am going to reduce to 5K

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

I've stopped my boxes. I was doing $4000 a week, but the Jacksonville district has been bled dry. I will be resuming once I line up a supply out of the Ormond/Daytona district.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep same around me, I did 10 boxes a week only to get 2 or 3 40%'s if im lucky..... I am for the most part taking March off just to see what happens. :-\

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro

Come on! What's wrong with yall? All of you know that it just takes that one lucky box to get you hooked again. To me it's relaxing because I work all the time,the babys crying, and momma's probably mad. It's my alone time. If I gave it up I'm really not sure what I would do that didn't really cost me money.............

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

it just takes that one lucky box

but looking at your stats it looks like you have not found that lucky box. approximately 1/3 of your boxes have been skunks. I wish you all the luck in the world, it's just summertime and I think I can do some MDing and let the silver possibly replenish itself then I can go back and get it. Then again, there are some monster hunters in my area

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you sure were gung ho for quite awhile telling us your plan about buying and dumping, giving out chocolates to tellers etc..........?? seems like your not giving it much of a chance. Skunks are just part of the game

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

I am cutting out the half boxes but will do dimes for a bit longer. I may limit my road trips to one a week after this week. The warm weather is coming and I have other hobbies to pursue.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Rich Hartford said:
I am cutting out the half boxes but will do dimes for a bit longer. I may limit my road trips to one a week after this week. The warm weather is coming and I have other hobbies to pursue.

Dimes are definitely overlooked. I've been hitting the dime boxes hard as there is less hassle. No ordering, and the dump bank welcomes the dime deposit as it saves them money. Each box that I bring them is one less they have to order and pay for. Plus as the weather warms so do the beaches and tourists.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

I have been hitting Nickels very hard for the same reason as dimes.... alot easier to get and get rid of.......

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

don't retire....just take a long hiatus and wait for things to replenish. i stopped for a few months because i had exhausted all the banks of thier loosies and handrolls.i haven't had the funds for boxes, so once i exhausted all they had on hand i was done. during that time i did some dimes. now it seems things have replenished some as i have been finding halfs at most banks and did manage to pull some silver recently so i started making the rounds again only work is busy and slowing my hunting down.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

I am not quitting just reorganizing. I am switching up pick-up banks and will roll over to more dimes for a time. I will do a few more road trips in the future but fewer now that the wifey is back. I did good while it lasted though. My half boxes are in trouble though. That is why I am switching sources to see if I hit a new vein. Dimes should keep me in the game for a while though. Keep trying you guys...it aint over yet. Hate to say it but it is a good thing when the competition bows out. No offense Pdiddy

Golden Silver

bgretz1989

Dec 28, 2008

My area is out of silver and clad. Stupid coin dealers keep putting full page ads in the paper about buying silver coins. Im sticking to the dimes until everyone quits the halves after not being able to find anything!

S

seger98

I wouldn't give it up, I did what everyone on here has done & that's jump right into it. after a while you loose interest when you don't find as much, then you start thinking about the time & money spent to get what you've got and ya give up.

Now I just make it what it really is & that's a hobby.... Not a job! I stop at banks when I feel like it, if they don't have any I think well atleast I don't have to dump them, I get what I can when I feel like it & I don't have to deal with mean tellers or huge dumps. If I find a few a month I'm much happy now then I was then!

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

It seems that in my small town and surrounding areas there are quite a few more people CRHing. Some of the tellers are good and tell me not to bother with some, that they have been searched. I did about a boxes worth the other day in loose rolls, in an area where I'd always score something. This time no proofs, NIFC's or silver at all, so I know they were all searched.

For me it's just not worth it much anymore. And also for the fact that I have zero access to any machine at all that counts the halves at any bank to dump, and I have to re-roll ALL of them, makes it a pain, been doing it a long time. Maybe I'd order more boxes if there was a dump bank so I didn't have to re-roll, that would be soooo sweet.

But lately I've had my little yella fella out as well. ;D Having more fun doing that right now.

But when I have to drive some distance, CRHing is always on the back of my mind, and I grab the loose rolls where I can.

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250

scotto said:
But lately I've had my little yella fella out as well. ;D Having more fun doing that right now.

Too much information........LOL

Anyways my two sense is go ahead and retire. To me this is a hobby, maybe a little obsessed about it though, but a hobby. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and hoping for those dream boxes. Skunks are part of the game. As well as the coin counters that jip you off on there counting and the mean tellers from time to time. I guess I'm not a fare wether hobbyist. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. All I have to say is good luck to all and to those that quit.... THANKS...... MORE FOR ME....LOL
HH,
Frank

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009

tank014 said:
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. All I have to say is good luck to all and to those that quit.... THANKS...... MORE FOR ME....LOL
HH,
Frank

Hear, hear. :icon_study:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread