Detained while CRHing

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
Detained while CRH'ing

I thought I just had to share this story with you guys. Today during my lunch break I stopped at a branch I go every couple weeks to drop off 2 boxes of halves. The deposit was uneventful and the teller was nice, but as I turned to leave, I was greeted by a police officer very intent on knowing who I was and telling me to take my hand out of my pocket.

He proceeded to detain me for about 40 minutes through plenty of questions about where I got the coins, what I was doing with them, etc.

Anyways, about 20 minutes in, he explained a Brinks truck was robbed about 2 hours from me with in the last week and one of the tellers called the police on my deposit because they had received a notice about the robbery.

And I thought skunk boxes were tough enough - now I have to prove to police officers that I'm not the bank robber they think I am!

To end the story, the officer finally apologized and thanked me for being patient and I went on my way. The thing that really annoyed me though, was that once the teller called the police on me, no one from the branch said a single word to me again. No - "I'm sorry we had to call the police because of our policies, but thank you for being cooperative" etc.

On a positive note, I turned some of my deposit into $140 in dimes and got 3 keepers. Then went to another bank to pick up $100 in machine rolls and got 11 40% and 1 walking liberty!

Upvote 0

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
Re: Detained while CRH'ing

So what did your boss say when you got back from your (i assume) extended lunch? :coffee2:

OP
OP
S

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009

FingerGrime said:
So, did you rob the truck?

SHhhhhhhh :icon_pirat:

Happily it wasn't me and I'm enjoying an evening at home instead of a jail cell. The cop did mention I might expect a call from the FBI though...

Quite an unnerving experience.

I have already planned to dump again next week and walk away saying "Remember ME?"

I had to explain the story to my boss, but she took it in stride, no big deal thankfully.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

Yes I would be a little upset with this bank.

Although they were only doing what they were supposed too they could have handled it differently.

If you dump on a regular basis at this bank than they should be familiar with you.

Do you have an account with them. If so they should of just gave up your name and they ( The Police ) could have contacted you and not approach you in the bank like it went down. Not very good customer relations if you ask me.

This should have been a little scary for you because the cops don't know that you are not the heist guy. They certainly could have overreacted. And Many people could have been endangered had it turned out that you were said robber.

Not Cool......... Dump more on them so they can get to know you better...................

Mojo

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

That's a bull@#$% story if I ever heard of one. Who would rob an armored car for 25 pound boxes of coin when they could get the cash ? I would not have answered any questions and asked the cop if I was free to go or am I arrested.
I'm happy that the cop was polite and all but being detained for 40 minutes is unreasonable. Especially so, when you are engaged in CRH !

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009

A detention allows the police to briefly hold someone for investigation purposes. They must have enough information or evidence that criminal activity is occurring and that you are somehow connected to be able to detain you. During a detention, you are not free to go.

How long can you be detained? The court decisions say that it is for a “reasonable” period of time to allow them to investigate whatever crime you were detained for.

IMHO 40 minutes for a police investigation, while being a large inconvenience for the person, isn't that unreasonable.

Heres an interesting Read on the subject of casual encounter, vs being detained, vs being arrested.
http://www.joedane.com/featured/interacting-with-the-police/

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Seagates,

I don't know anything about that legalese mumbo-jumbo and playing jump rope with Constitutional rights. Thanks for bringing me up to date.

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009

I didn't really know the exact levels of interacting with the police either, until i Googled it. This thread sparked some interest in me and I wanted to find out if the police were allowed to do it... :coffee2:

On the bright side, it didn't look like he had to produce any evidence that he bought that halves somewhere the law just believed his word.

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil

Take a dump on them often ..oops I mean dump on them often ha ... thats is f*cked up , I had the police come and asked me about my coins when I first started and the teller that called them knew me and my family , Ed :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
S

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009

Another point I wanted to add is that I use this bank VERY often and it has been my bank for over 6 years - I just don't visit the branch too frequently.

I requested the officer pull up my savings account record (to show the frequent $1k deposits/withdrawls) or to call the neighboring branch where I have a regular weekly order, in the hopes of neatly cleaning up the matter, but he ignored that, which meant an additional 30 minutes of waiting.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

i remember reading on here not too long ago a large amount of coin was taken from somewhere and the police were looking for deposits of large coin.

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's unnecessary holding you there for 40 minutes. Now they're gonna want to CRH. >:(

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro

Diver_Down;
"Dump hard and dump often"......I LIKE that!!
With your permission, I would like to have tee shirts made up!!
- Grizz

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

One of the tellers I dumped $1000 in halves Tuesday acted a little odd like she thought I'd stolen the coins or something. I just blew her off.

On a lighter note the guy from my supply bank asked me, and he sorta knows what I'm going but is too lazy do it himself, he said, "Where are getting rid of these when your finished?" I said don't worry about it, just not here - I promise!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread