is the 42D jefferson a harder one to find?

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1942D jefferson.jpg
    1942D jefferson.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That's in great shape. I don't know how hard it is to find, but it's one that I still don't have. It's hard to find any old nickel in -that- good of shape. Nice find :thumbsup:

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack_Mightyheart said:
That's in great shape. I don't know how hard it is to find, but it's one that I still don't have. It's hard to find any old nickel in -that- good of shape. Nice find :thumbsup:

Word. That is one nice nick. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it would grade XF wouldn't you?

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last week I baught lots of nickels from a bank, and came across 16 rolls that were all 59 and earlier.. I was finding tons of 42 d's p's ans s's.. I even found a 1950d, and a 1955p, which are two of the least minted nickels ever. I don't think 42d's are that hard to find.... I kept all the years and mints I didn't have, then I took the rest back to a bank and cashed them in... I don't know why people want to keep all 60 and earlier nickels.. there are only a few years that are worth money.... I also found a 44 war nickel!! war nickels are worth keeping for sure

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timbobwey said:
last week I baught lots of nickels from a bank, and came across 16 rolls that were all 59 and earlier.. I was finding tons of 42 d's p's ans s's.. I even found a 1950d, and a 1955p, which are two of the least minted nickels ever. I don't think 42d's are that hard to find.... I kept all the years and mints I didn't have, then I took the rest back to a bank and cashed them in... I don't know why people want to keep all 60 and earlier nickels.. there are only a few years that are worth money.... I also found a 44 war nickel!! war nickels are worth keeping for sure

It sounds like you may have been very lucky, but also it sounds like you don't know what a War Nickel is as 1942-P and 1942-S are both War Nickels....so to be excited only about the 1944 War Nickel and bring back the 1942's.....hmmmm.......

And yes the 1942-D is a harder to come by variety. In my 4-5 years of searching nickels heavily (as well as many years of searching but not as heavily) I have yet to find a full roll of 1942-D, though I am finally getting fairly close (8 or less left to complete it).

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gmann, they minted war nickels and regular jeffersons in 42.. the one's I returned were not war nickels. I'm hoping you already knew this if you've been hunting nickels for 5 years

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gman, I also never said that I returned the 42 nickels anyway, so I don't know what your even talking about.. I would never return war nickels, I look for them because they are the only silver nickels. So don't tell me I don't know what they are.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, it was my forth from last hole filled in my album, so I keep them all now

HH
-GC

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timbobwey said:
Gmann, they minted war nickels and regular jeffersons in 42.. the one's I returned were not war nickels. I'm hoping you already knew this if you've been hunting nickels for 5 years

Yes, I was aware of that. I was typing too fast and got ahead of myself on listing the 1942-P as only a war nickel, my bad on that....but the 1942-S was only a war nickel.

timbobwey said:
Gman, I also never said that I returned the 42 nickels anyway, so I don't know what your even talking about.. I would never return war nickels, I look for them because they are the only silver nickels. So don't tell me I don't know what they are.

Umm....ok.....I was only using what you said in your quote.....see below..

timbobwey said:
I was finding tons of 42 d's p's ans s's..

ok...

timbobwey said:
I kept all the years and mints I didn't have, then I took the rest back to a bank and cashed them in...

Which I assumed meant you kept one of each or something of that nature, and cashed in the rest....so unless your definition of tons of 1942's is much lower than mine, anyone reading would assume that all but a couple went back to the bank and that some did indeed go back to the bank.

timbobwey said:
I also found a 44 war nickel!! war nickels are worth keeping for sure

If you found tons of 1942-S's, it just seems odd that you would be so excited about finding a war nickel as you obviously must have had more as well.

Sorry to misinterpret, but I can only go on what you write as I am obviously not there, but the way it read, it sounded like you didn't know what you were talking about....

Either way, the 1942-D is still a difficult date to come by. If I counted right the 1942-D is the 12th lowest mintage of the Jefferson series that was intended for circulation.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw so many 42's out of the rolls I just found, so it didn't seem hard for me to find, but I do see what you mean.. I know the 1950's are hard to find, and the 55P is hard to find... I just came across a bunch of old nickels, so one must have dropped off an old collection. Sorry if I was confusing....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread