Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you think about this story? I think it is a crock that the teller got fired, what policies were broke? I think he needs a good lawyer! Plus whoever refused these coins at walmart needs a head exam!!!!!!

Bank needs help finding owner of rare gold coins

March 26th, 2009 @ 10:02pm

By John Hollenhorst

SALT LAKE CITY -- Bank officials and police would like to know who the mysterious woman is who walked into a bank with a fistful of gold coins and exchanged them for only a couple hundred dollars. The coins, some more than a century old, are worth at least 50 times that much.
It happened last week at a St. George-area branch of Zions Bank. "A woman came into the branch and approached a teller saying that she had these coins," explained Rob Brough, executive vice president of Zions Bank.
She told the teller she had groceries waiting but the nearby Wal-Mart wouldn't accept her coins. The teller gave her face value, 20 bucks a piece, for 14 coins.

"At the bank, we don't deal with anything other than face value, and so she was just asking us to exchange the coins for dollars," Brough said.
But the coins are worth thousands, at least. Zions Bank showed us to see three of the 14, which date from 1875 to 1927.
All 14 are Double Eagles, $20 gold pieces. "There's some weight to it. There's about an ounce of gold here, so you get a little bit of sense that there's some value to these," Brough said.
Melted down at today's gold prices, each coin is worth, minimum, $900. Some very rare Double Eagles are worth tens of thousands, even millions. The 14 coins have not been appraised.
"It's just possible that this person didn't know how much value there was in these coins, but that's why we want to find the owner and make sure we get them into the right hands," Brough said.
The teller took the coins home, paying face value himself to the bank. He told us he didn't realize their value until he went to a coin shop.
The bank recovered the coins and fired the teller. They say he should have alerted management about the woman and her coins. "To insure that they really know what they're doing in terms of making that exchange," Brough explained.
A relative of another bank employee says the teller did show the coins to a manager, and his colleagues support him.
"They're upset and very afraid to say anything. It's talk among themselves more than anything, but what he did was not wrong. He didn't violate any policies. It's something they all do," Jannett Johnson said. The bank has surveillance video of the woman, but to protect her privacy they don't want to release it right now. She's in her late 20s or early 30s, with short dark hair, and about 5 feet 6 inches tall with a medium build.
If you think you know who it is, Zion's Bank has asked that you contact KSL.

Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, that's insane.... if I was the teller I would have just given the woman money out of my pocket and baught them from her for face value, and never let the bank purchase them.. I see nothing wrong with it, some people are just to stupid to realize they have thousands of dollars in their hands

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
This story is just an example of the greed we have in this country.

Not only should the teller be fired he should go straight to hell.

If anyone feels that he did no wrong. You best do a self evaluation. It is bad karma and unethical

In my opinion it is wrong to take advantage of Stupidity or Ignorance

No one has the right to feed on stupidity. And doing so should be cinsiderd a crime.

I believe that these coins were stolen. By the women cashing and the teller buying.

Mojo

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I would gladly lose my job to get those coins! But regardless he shouldn't have been fired. It's not his job or the banks to stop people from making stupid decisions.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Bought as many as I could afford after explaining that the bank would take forever in handling her money. Her groceries would go bad in the time it would take for the manager and whoever else to talk to her and go over everything involved in selling gold to a bank.
In short I would have bought the coins out of my own pocket and said nothing to anyone.

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
In my opinion it is wrong to take advantage of Stupitity.

No one has the right to feed on stupidity. And doing so is a sin and a crime.

A sin and a crime? Really gotta disagree with you on this one cm. If you buy coins, gold, or whatever from someone and you dont pay 100% of melt are you not taking advantage of them? Their IGNORANCE not their stupidity. This person was ignorant about the subject at hand. Now that could have been because she was STUPID or just because she was too lazy to learn about it.

If I go to the car lot and get bent over because i didnt do my research before i went then it is my fault. I was ignorant about the subject at hand.

Also has anyone missed the part where this lady is late 20's early 30s? Makes me wonder if she stole them to begin with? I mean who has 14 gold coins at that age that doesnt know what they are?

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Coinmojo, taking advantage of stupidity is not wrong, taking advantage of IGNORANCE is wrong. If the person knows that they are worth more than face and still insist on selling them then there is no wrong. If the person doesn't know and is informed, then they have the ability to make the decision themselves as to keeping the coins or not.

As to the teller...perhaps if he had shared his fortune with other tellers he wouldn't have been fired...what are you going to do, fire everyone? Greed took him down, although I disagree that he should have been fired.

Cool story though

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
It is interesting how often posts on this site go tangentally to morality discussions. It goes to show what deep-thinking philosophers we CRHers are at the core. No, seriously!!
- Grizz

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
I have to say there is a flaw in that thinking:

STUPID

–adjective 1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.

IGNORANCE

–noun the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

Ignorance can be erased by studying, research and obtaining knowledge. There is no cure for stupidity however. So by your logic its okay to take advantage of someone who is not as SMART as you but not okay to take advantage of someone who is not as EDUCATED as you? There is a huge differnece there.

Now without knowing the person we will not know if she was stupid. We know for sure she was ignorant on the subject at hand. I myself am ignorant about many things. Regardless i dont see the problem. She left the transaction satisfied and was able to go get her groceries.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do see a moral issue here... but if someone braught those coins to where I work and spent them.. I would for sure buy them from the drawer.... she just happened to do this at a bank, where apparently this is frowned uppon for tellers to take advantage of this.... but if most people were face to face with those coins, they would do just what that teller did.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point Klava, how do we know they weren't stolen from someone?? But mojo, i see your point also... I think this is a subject no one can tell what is right or wrong

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At any given moment, the money in your pocket could have come from stolen goods.

Is it any different than CRH - looking for the halves that are worth more than 50 cents?

Or, is the morality in the amount? I didn't think morality had a dollar value.

Me, I would have bought them from her. Plain and simple.

B

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
mrs.oroblanco said:
Is it any different than CRH - looking for the halves that are worth more than 50 cents?

My thinking as well. This situation is exactly the same as tellers buying silver from their trays.

IMO if it is against bank policy to purchase the double eagles at face value from a customer then they also aren't allowed to buy any silver coins from customers either. Or wheat pennies, or doubled dies etc. Which is totally silly.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
glad to see most of you agree, this guy did what most here would do and that is buy them from her, he should have NOT lost his job.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
This story is just an example of the greed we have in this country.

Not only should the teller be fired he should go straight to hell.

If anyone feels that he did no wrong. You best do a self evaluation. It is bad karma.

In my opinion it is wrong to take advantage of Stupitity.

No one has the right to feed on stupidity. And doing so is a sin and a crime.

I believe that these coins were stolen.

Mojo

I have to agree with Mojo. This goes beyond karma; the bank owes its customer some degree of fudiciary duty to inform them in such an instance, especially if it is an elderly person or someone with mental deficiencies. Would you want these type of people watching over your money? Suppose you handed the teller an extra 100 dollar bill on accident when making a deposit, would it be OK for them to pocket it because you were too stupid or --deleted-- to count your bills correctly? This is the same type of thing. A gold double eagle is not circulating currency anymore and a bank employee (teller) should know that and inform the client.

A have heard from more than one teller who said they told customers who brought in lots of silver dollars and other coins to take them to a coin shop because they knew the coins had value higher than face.

To compare this example to CRHers makes no sense. A CRHer owes no duty to anyone when they buy a box of halves for $500 and find silver in it.

If the teller pocketed them he or she deserves to be fired in my opinion.

Jim

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
she should have just traded them to her drug dealer, now the cops have her pic and will be looking for who she ripped off. HH Mark

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a topic, that's all I can say anymore.. everyone has made a good point, they're all right in a sense... So many perspectives, I can't say that any one person is wrong here.

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
jim4silver said:
Suppose you handed the teller an extra 100 dollar bill on accident when making a deposit, would it be OK for them to pocket it because you were too stupid or --deleted-- to count your bills correctly?

Good point.

I still don't completely agree though.
I don't really feel there is any grounds to fire the teller. Like I said earlier, this is no different than a teller buying silver coins from their tray. Unless swapping out money for other money is against bank policy then this person shouldn't have been fired.

I guess it just depends on where you draw that moral line.

Mentone Grizz said:
It goes to show what deep-thinking philosophers we CRHers are at the core.
;D

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
FingerGrime said:
jim4silver said:
Suppose you handed the teller an extra 100 dollar bill on accident when making a deposit, would it be OK for them to pocket it because you were too stupid or --deleted-- to count your bills correctly?

Good point.

I still don't completely agree though.
I don't really feel there is any grounds to fire the teller. Like I said earlier, this is no different than a teller buying silver coins from their tray. Unless swapping out money for other money is against bank policy then this person shouldn't have been fired.

I guess it just depends on where you draw that moral line.

Mentone Grizz said:
It goes to show what deep-thinking philosophers we CRHers are at the core.
;D

This story is far beyond a teller finding a silver coin in their tray. Somebody walking up with a bunch of old, gold coins is not the same as a teller finding a silver dime in their tray. I went back and re-read the original post and the teller did take the gold coins home. Good that he got canned.

I think that most here who posted saying it is OK to take the gold coins are thinking from the perspective of a CRHer who tries to find any keeper they can get, much like I do. But I am looking at this from the perspective of what duty the bank teller (not the same as the average CRHer like many here) has to a customer. Remember, the bank teller is the employee of the bank first, whether they are a coin collector or not. If someone comes in with very old coins that are no longer circulating currency, that are worth thousands of dollars minimum, they should not take advantage of a customer even though that customer may be a fool. I find it hard to believe that any here would believe it is OK for the teller to simply give the dummy 20 bucks per coin and then take the coins personally.

The bank fired this fool because of the fact that it looks like he profited off of the dumness (is that a word?) of a customer. From a public relations standpoint this bank does not want to give the public the picture that their tellers like to take advantage of a stupid customer and take their gold coins for face value.

There is a difference between gold double eagles that have not circulated since 1933 and silver coins that still circulate today, although somewhat rare.

Jim

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
Few months ago a lady deposited some 19th century U.S. Notes at some bank. Bank officers called her up and told her to come in and pick these up because of their high numismatic value. Wish I could find that story in the net. Anyone remember that story, name of bank and city/state?

By the way, I'm not sure tellers are allowed to buy coins directly from the customer. Tellers are not even allowed to even buy directly from their tray. They "sell" the coins/paper that they want to another teller, then buy from that teller. At least that's what I'm told is the policy at a number of banks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread