Friday Road Trip

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
My wife suggested we do a half hunting road trip Friday. I plotted a route through a bunch of towns we hadn't been to before. We also tried a new technique with her searching while I drove so we could dump if we needed to.

First we went through a town with 2 banks that I had been to about a year ago.

Bank 1 had $80 in rolls - 1x1967.

Bank 2 had $270 in a bag, or so they thought. The teller wanted to recheck the total and ran it through the machine. Then ran it through the machine again and worked away at a calculator. She called the manager over and they were both checking things. Her count didn't match the amount they were supposed to have. She put $250 in a bag and sold them to me and kept the rest so they could figure out why they were off. I asked if I could look through the ones she kept, no keepers left behind. Got 1x1965 and 5x1968-D.

On to the fresh ground.

Next was a newer resort area with 3 banks.

Bank 1 had none.

Bank 2 had $10 Skunk.

Bank 3 had $190 in CWI rolls with 1 1989-S Proof.

Next town had 4 banks.

Bank 1 had $200 in bank rolls. 1x1966, 2x1967, 2x1968-D, and a 1976-S Proof.

Bank 2 and 3 had none.

Bank 4 had $20 Skunk.

Next town had 2 banks and our best stop.

Bank 1 had $500 in a bag. They wanted to recount it and had a machine in an office. I was wondering if they were skimming silver because the machine would run for a few seconds and stop, run and stop over and over with a lot of low talking going on. Well she came out and told me they weren't going to get coin soon so I could only have $200. No use arguing so I took the $200 and left. I decided to take a quick look in the bag and there was a Franklin right on top so they weren't taking the silver. Now I really wanted the other $300 worth. My wife said she had just over $300 in rejects in a bag so I took them in and asked if I could swap their $300 for mine so I would have some new ones to look through. They had no problem with it so I dumped $327 and got rest. I'm really glad I did. The first $200 had 1x1952, 1x1957-D, 1x1961-D, 1x1964-D, 1x1965, 2x1967, 1x1968-D, and 2x1969-D. The bag of $300 had 1x1953-D, 1x1959-D, 1x1962-D, 1x1964, 1x1964-D, 1x1966, 1x1967, and 1x1969-D.

Bank 2 had none

Last was a bigger city with 11 banks. Most had none to $20 or less, all Skunks.

Dumped another $343 but didn't fill their bag.

One bank had $1,000 in 2 $500 bags. One was a skunk and $2.50 short and the other had 1x1965.

A credit union had over $700 in a bag but wouldn't sell to a non-member. My wife and I went to eat and went back to open an account. The teller was really trying to help me out but I couldn't open an account because I didn't live in a county the had a charter with. My Mom lived in one of their counties but didn't have an account with them. She also looked up my dad's name and my name but no matches. The vault teller said she would have to recount the bag and I could tell she really didn't want to so wasn't going to bend the rules for me. I need to find out where they are in my mom's county and go open an account.

Last bank we stopped at I asked for halves and the teller told me they did but she could guarantee there was no silver. I asked her if she takes the silver and she told me she did and she just went through them the day before to make sure she hadn't missed any. I took her word for it and passed.

Not a huge hall compared to many here, but I'm happy.

27MAR09_Total.jpg

Upvote 0

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Those are some nice totals Fropa... I like when I have a driver so I can rip while on the road and dump at will ... it sounds like you map out a good plan of attack and got some nice coins . Maybe your next rip will produce better , Ed

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Last bank we stopped at I asked for halves and the teller told me they did but she could guarantee there was no silver. I asked her if she takes the silver and she told me she did and she just went through them the day before to make sure she hadn't missed any. I took her word for it and passed.
i would have gotten them anyway......she could have been lying and didn't want to sell them to you until she had a chance to search them........OR she may not have known about the 40%ers and left them behind.....i would go back and pick them up :thumbsup:

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I thought about it after I left and probably should have bought them. I'm going to check into opening an account with a branch of the Credit Union that had the $700 and will probably stop back at this bank and buy their halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread