I have a new plan.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
My half dollar boxes are mostly skunks now and taking road trips every week with a family and work is just not possible so I came up with a new approach. I will still order in my skunk boxes to see if I get lucky but I am going to retrase my steps from the end of 2007 when I started CRHing. I figure all the local banks I hit way back when must have gotten a little something new in. So what is so new about this approach. I will keep the same tactics I had the first go round for finding silver halves but this time I will concentrate on customer rolled dimes. Yes, I know this is more work but I figure at this point much less people are searching dimes in my area. And since I have not hit these banks for dimes before I might find some interesting stuff. I will ofcourse still ask for halves but the main concentration will be on dimes as most of the halves are gone or sorted through. Like I said I will continue to order half boxes and hope to get lucky (I did a few days ago) but I think customer hand rolls are where it is at. What do you all think? Do you think it will bring in some decent silver? I think it is worth a go.

Thanks for your thoughts ahead of time.

Golden Silver

Upvote 0

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
GS , some like a damn good plan to me and I dont do dimes lol not yet nayways .... your plan make perfect sense to me , I think that you could put up some nice totals with your new plan , best of luck Ed

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it!!! :icon_pirat:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I use a similar tactic.

Still keep my supply of boxes coming in and when i get a chance to explore the wild, I ask for Halves and Big dollars first. If they have none I ask for hand rolled dimes. I buy up as much as they allow me.

I have scored 4 Dream rolls this way in the last 12 months. 2 just last week.

Good luck with your plan. It works for me.

Mojo

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
GS, Before you try and hope that the boxes will change, you might want to see about ordering from a different district. Instead of getting a weekly supply, you could load up on a biweekly basis from another district. Let me explain. In my area (Jacksonville), the Brinks supply is garbage as I'm dumping 8,000 a week on them. I was pulling from the Loomis. I was getting some old boxes but lately the boxes have been marked as recently as March 2009. Loomis doesn't have any old inventory. In fact with the Fed branch in Jacksonville, I might be getting the dumps from Brinks rerolled for Loomis. Either way, Jacksonville district is only good for hand-rolls. Other districts need to keep more reserve as they are farther away from the Fed branch. I plan on tapping a different district and dumping in the Jacksonville district to exhaust the other district's supply. You might want to look into the proximity of other districts to you and try the same thing. Good luck.

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Diver that is a good thought and I like it but how in the world do I find out the district? As it is now I order my boxes in three neighboring towns and they all have the same supplier. It may not be economical to drive over an hour to a new district.

Golden Silver

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Check the Brinks and Loomis sites. They'll list the different districts. I've found that the Jacksonville district covers areas as far south as Palatka which is a haul from Jax. The Daytona/Ormond Beach district covers as far north as Flagler Beach. It is about a half hour drive for me. Not that big of a deal in order to try some new supply. You'll just have to do some research and ask the banks until you find the delineation. Good luck.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I agree with you, dimes are the way to go. This week I searched two boxes of halves and made three road trips for a total of 6 halves.
My plan is to go for bagged coins. So far I have found two banks where I can get them. I've concentrated on halves but did pick up one bag of dimes. Next week I'm going to pick up quarters and nickels as well.
I have also tried a couple of times picking up hand rolled dimes in small amounts of $50-$100.00 dollars. I have always scored, but I pick up, a bunch of foreign junk as well.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
I've started doing this in the past few weeks, when i'm not getting in boxes i only get hand rolled dimes from customers. I've yet to hit a dream roll like mojo but that's my next big goal...a dream roll of dimes.

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Hey Diver Down,

I am taking your advice and trying to order halves from a different district. We will see how it turns out. It is a bit of a trial by error method. Hopefully, I will tap into a new vein.

Golden Silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
golden silver said:
Hey Diver Down,

I am taking your advice and trying to order halves from a different district. We will see how it turns out. It is a bit of a trial by error method. Hopefully, I will tap into a new vein.

Golden Silver

You can go on Brink's website to see where they are located in your state. I did a couple of searches and my state and the surrounding ones only have 4 Brinks facilities per state, some only have one per state. Thus you might have to travel a bit to get into a different territory. The site does not show jurisdicitions each one covers, but it gives you an idea.

http://www.brinksinc.com/Location/North-America/United-States/

Jim

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
I just went through the Loomis site but could find no breakdown on districts. Where do I search on their site?

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread