Cancelled all my box orders

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I am not saying I am retiring....

But, I have finally cancelled all my box orders. From now on only machine bags at my few banks that hold them for me. And hand rolls when I am already at the bank or out of town. If I got so far out of town that it would be a different Brinks facility box I may sample it.

My boxes this week gave me one 90 and one 40. That is better than the last couple weeks, but I had a "moment of clarity" when I was at my dump bank today. The machine was jamming constantly, the teller was whining about it and it took forever to get them through. I realized for me this is no longer worth it. It was worth it for the first 9 or so months, but not really since then.

My business is slower with the bad economy and I need to spend time networking and bringing in new clients. I cannot justify the time spent chasing a few silver coins when I have more important things I should be doing.

Some other CRHer can have my skunk boxes (and whatever few silvers are in it).

Jim

Upvote 0

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
I am sorry to hear that things have been so slow for you. Maybe after a while
things will get better. I hope your Business picks up and you can get more clients.

The fun is almost gone from this hobby, but in time every thing will be back on track.

Good luck on the business and the bags.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Jim, slow down... it is ok to slow down. This was supposed to be a hobbie remember? I agree that it has gotten harder to find the good stuff and we need to prioritize. Just don't give up. It sounds as though you are tired and need to cut back for a good while. Just don't be a stranger around here.

Golden Silver

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with you Jim, although I cancelled my halve orders over a month ago. It's rare for me to do a road trip as I know lots of tellers are on to things now, what with full-page ads in the paper, dealers buying silver. That and "someone just bought all we had, we know they're looking for silver, we sold them some dumps from so-and-so".
I've done really well with dimes, and even tho it's fun, the fun flame is burning low....so I've even cancelled those orders....like you say, the return is just not worth it!
'Course, once a hunter always a hunter! FFD

COPPER DIME

Jan 12, 2009
Swamp Land's of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE. Backup/ Whites Classic 5ID
yes i know what u r saying SC, i'm new 2 this CRHing. the bad part is that i'm hunting in the same area as LJ. but we just take it one day at a time :thumbsup:. the boxes have slowed down but they still give just enough SILVER 2 keep going on. good luck 2 all.
COPPER DIME

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
OmegaMan said:
I am sorry to hear that things have been so slow for you. Maybe after a while
things will get better. I hope your Business picks up and you can get more clients.

The fun is almost gone from this hobby, but in time every thing will be back on track.

Good luck on the business and the bags.

Thanks OmegaMan.

golden silver said:
Jim, slow down... it is ok to slow down. This was supposed to be a hobbie remember? I agree that it has gotten harder to find the good stuff and we need to prioritize. Just don't give up. It sounds as though you are tired and need to cut back for a good while. Just don't be a stranger around here.

Golden Silver

I will still CRH in my own very limited way. I will still check out this site to see what everyone else is finding.

Fistfulladirt said:
'Course, once a hunter always a hunter! FFD

I am with you on that.

Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
It's okay to scale back a bit. I'm going to myself because I have other things that I have to do,but quitting is out of the question.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Something is definitely changing within the industry. Here in California, the cardboard containers have been evolving in recent months. First, the flat (CWI) boxes started showing up, stamped with a date. Then, the date stamps disappeared, and the results from the flat boxes became pretty miserable on a regular basis.

More recently, at other banks, the cubic (two-level) boxes have changed, goiing from a box in which the rolls were tightly packed together, to a slightly larger box that allows the rolls to shift and move around inside. The results from these new boxes have also been pretty miserable. The last two boxes I worked each produced two 40%ers and that was it! I have experienced more skunks than ever before in the last eight weeks and particularly within the last three weeks. I know some CRHers are doing far worse than that, but a person has to consider whether or not the time and effort involved is worth the results. When the results are not-so-good......of course, as with all addictions, you don't just walk away that easily.....
- Grizz

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Our situations seem very similar grizz. Keep truckin. I will find silver one way or another.

Golden Silver

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Hey Jim! Long time no talk man.

Hope you are doing well.

Boxes seem to be continuing that icky trend downward that they have been on for a while now. =(

Good luck with your job/business! Hope everything works out well for you.

And good luck with the bags that you will do now and then... hope you get a sweet score. =)

~Dave

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
That sucks dude! I stoppped coin roll hunting because of the bad economy. I needed to work more hours and metal detect. I seem to find a lot more metal detecting then going through boxes of coins. It was fun for awhile, but all of the annoying tellers drove me away from the hobby. Now I only Collect Coins and relics as well as metal detect! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread