Ordered first box of Pennies

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I finally got a job and was at the bank today and ordered my first box of pennies which will be in Wed. or Thursday. I am going to order a box or 2 every pay. Other than looking for wheats, what else should I be looking for? I read in another CRH forum to save all copper (pre 1982) pennies too. Is this true? Any help is appreciated!

Sue

Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people save all copper, I personally don't being on a college kid budget. I only save the wheats and "s" mints. It's really your choice.

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I save wheats, S-mints, and copper. But, it's really up to you. Some people search for errors, too.

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
HolyDiver said:
Some people save all copper, I personally don't being on a college kid budget. I only save the wheats and "s" mints. It's really your choice.

"S" mints of any year or just certain years?

Sorry for all the questions. I am a newbie at CRH.

Sue

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Copper is on the rise again and 2 rolls of copper pennies are worth $1.36 melt value today.
If you can afford it, save it.
Look for the elusive IH - Indian Head penny!

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
smurf-42 said:
HolyDiver said:

"S" mints of any year or just certain years?

Sorry for all the questions. I am a newbie at CRH.

Sue

Yes, any S-Mints. They were all low mintages, so they're worth holding on to. And any after 1970 (I think) would be proofs.

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
TXTim said:
Copper is on the rise again and 2 rolls of copper pennies are worth $1.36 melt value today.
If you can afford it, save it.
Look for the elusive IH - Indian Head penny!

Isn't scrapping pennies illegal or is this the price of what a coin dealer would pay for 2 rolls of copper pennies? Totally forgot about the IH penny, thanks for the reminder!

alpha105 said:
Dont forget.....any 2009 cabin ones.

Will add to list to look for them. What is so special about the 2009 cabin pennies? Is there only a limited amount being minted?

trezurhunter said:
I look for the 1998, 99, 2000 Wide AM in America. I have found 1 99 wide AM.

The Trezurhunter.

I also heard some 1995's have the wide AM. Could you please post a picture of a regular penny and the 1 you found with the wide AM? Would give me and others a better idea of what to look for.

Thanks everyone for advice! You don't know how much it means to me.

Sue

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Is there that much profit in pennies? I guess was it worth it when copper was at a high last year????? If you sold, have any opinions....

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Personally, I don't save the copper pennies. The 2009 pennies have been pretty hard to get a hold of. The San Francisco mint made pennies from 1968 to 1974. I am averaging about 5.15 (non-wheat) s mints per box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread