Filled up the CoinStar machine

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
So, I filled up the CoinStar today. I put in four boxes of pennies last friday (that took about 25 minutes lol) and then I put one box in today and filled it up. So, since no banks around here (at school) have coin counting machines (that are free at least), I think I am going to buy a bunch of coin wrappers. Do you guys have any recommended vendors? How does this place sound? http://www.jakesmp.net/CSD_Coin_Wrappers/CSD_Coin_Wrappers_001_M.html
Luckily, it is almost time for summer, so I won't have to deal with this crap again until next semester (we have tons of coin counting machines back home).

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
coinstar's are free?? I didn't know that? I'd suggest going to banks to get your wrappers, they give them to you at a discount...free.

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I am aware that CoinStar's cost money (8.9%). That is one reason why I want to get wrappers. Even if I have to pay for them they will be quite a bit cheaper than the CoinStar.
When I go out on Friday I will check at a couple banks. Do you think they will be willing to give me like 200 at a time though?

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
My bank gives me wrappers for free, not a lot at one time. If you have different accounts at different banks, you might want to ask them at the same time for wrappers. Hope it helps.

There is always www.banksupplies.com. Nice people to deal with and they are always having specials.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
??? why would you get coins and dump at a coinstar though? just take them to a bank. Did you buy them in bags (the only reason I'd think you would consider dumping at coinstar)? if worst comes to worst reroll them in the same rolls. Ones from the FED are hard to open but would save you 8.9%. I'm not sure how many banks are around, but even banks I don't have a membership at give them away. All you have to do is ask. ???

I get shorted enough in my rolls as is but to pay 8.9% is too much.

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
dandow20 said:
??? why would you get coins and dump at a coinstar though? just take them to a bank. Did you buy them in bags (the only reason I'd think you would consider dumping at coinstar)? if worst comes to worst reroll them in the same rolls. Ones from the FED are hard to open but would save you 8.9%. I'm not sure how many banks are around, but even banks I don't have a membership at give them away. All you have to do is ask. ???

I get shorted enough in my rolls as is but to pay 8.9% is too much.

Plastic Brinks wrappers. It would be a very delicate process to reroll in those. I suppose I might be able to though. I will ask some banks for wrappers.
See, at home I only use counting machines, so I'm not very familiar with the wrappers. The last couple months I have been using wrappers that I found laying around at home. (I have only been doing a couple boxes a week at school)

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
ahh i overlooked brinks rolls!!!!!! I see your point, yeah ask banks. Make it a priority every time you go in to ask for wrappers, before long you'll be flooded with them.

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
dandow20 said:
ahh i overlooked brinks rolls!!!!!! I see your point, yeah ask banks. Make it a priority every time you go in to ask for wrappers, before long you'll be flooded with them.

Ditto, you can start to walk away when they're busy and go to another teller and say, Oh yeah, I meant to ask for a bunch of wrappers and she'll just hand them over. Especially when she's helping someone else.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if you get gift cards for certain merchants theres -- no fee taken--don't know if they still do it or not.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Using Coinstar at 8.9% just makes no sense at all. The profit you make off any keepers in the box are more than eaten up by the 9% you lose at the dump. Unless you use the gift cards and use it for free, never use a coinstar. Period.

As for wrappers, I agree with everyone else. The banks give them out and yes they will give you a ton if you ask for a ton. YOu may have to go into a few banks, but still- they will give you what you need if you ask. So wrap them up and bring them to the banks - not coinstar. That's too brutal!

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
ivan salis said:
if you get gift cards for certain merchants theres -- no fee taken--don't know if they still do it or not.

They still do that. I don't really think I would need that much money in gift cards though. (Unless they were for a bank ;D)

I will try asking the next time I go to a bank. I hate rolling them, but I hate paying 8.9% even more.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Just buy one of those little machines that roll it for you. Or the one's that hold the tube and you fill it up thru like a funnel. Be easiest way of re-rolling. Cheaper in the long run from a CS

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
You can make your own rolls out of paper in a pinch. I do it for the large dollars on occasion. But I've never had a problem picking up fifty rolls from any banks..except for rolls for halves or large dollars.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread