Quarter boxes

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I just bought $150 Dollars Worth of hand rolls Yesterday (15 rolls)

As expected...... Nothing.... Welll except for some Canadian Quarters

And one roll was laced with Nickles (4) to be exact the roll actually had $8.75 in Quarters and $0.20 in Nickles for a Grand total of $8.95.... What a score that was.

Quarters are non producers......

Mojo

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I talked with a guy a few monthes ago at the coin counter who searches everything but halves. He said about the quarters he averages about one per box. I was skeptical but when I cashed out I got a box, got one. Next week I did the same and got another. Then 3 week straight I got skunked and figured 3 strikes I'm done. But I did get 2 of them elusive little bastages haha.
Change jars are being cashed in, never know what you will find. HH Mark

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters are not the best, but there are some advantages. Depending on your area, if you got 2 silver dimes a box and 1 silver quarter a box, then it would be worth your time to get the quarter box and find more silver in the same amount of time. However, the risk in hand rolls could easily cut into the profits. Not enough people do them to get an accurate guess as to how many are out there.

HH
-GC

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
I searched 7 to 9 boxes of quarters before I got my lonely 1962 silver quarter. Just a lot of work. Not really worth it. I may try some more later but I have a good system that I do with the moeny I have for the coins I get now. If I wanted to start doing quarters as well, I would have to come up with another 500 bucks but then that means more dumping. Err. Not worth it. At least to me.
HH,
Frank

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I have never found any silver quarters in the boxes I have searched. The three silver quarters that I found this year were all from customer wrapped rolls. I have also been shorted in a lot of the customer rolls,so it's risky searching them.

Of course I ask for halves first, if they don't have them then I ask for cents, dimes, nickels and then quarters. I never refuse any rolls of coins they are willing to sell me. I take it all and hope for the best.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I rarely do quarters, for the reasons listed above. However, in the last two weeks I have taken a peak at quarter boxes and found TWO boxes with a silver on the end of a roll. I bought both boxes, thinking the boxes would be sprinkled with silver. Not the case. Each box contained one lonely silver quarter...both of which had been showing on the end. Both were 1964 as well. Still got two silver quarters for face though. Also got a third yesterday in a roll. Only searched about 7 rolls yesterday though. I have found 4 this year so far, and all have been 1964.

zmemarine

Feb 6, 2008
I have never searched boxes of them but I have searched 4230.00 in customer rolls and scored 10 of them.
So my average is 1 out every 423 dollars searched.

Semper Fi

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up bags of quarters sometimes at my last pickup of the week if I have enough cash to buy them. I don't expect much from them, but I do find occasional quarters. I had one bag earlier this year that had 10. I do find a number of Canadian quarters, but how many seems to depend on which bank I pick the bags up at. Certain machines seem to be much more likely to reject the non-silver canadian ones (probably just a better magnet). Although not a financial benefit, by searching quarters I also end up with additional foreign coin types that happen to be quarter sized. Lately, I have gotten a number of 50 Euro Cent coins this way (5 or 6, I think).

I usually figure somewhere around 1 per $2000 on average and slightly higher at some banks than others. At least one bank that I usually buy bags from seems to average 1 silver quarter per bag or so.

For example, around me I have absolutly terrible luck with dimes or quarters that come in the coin condoms (brinks) so I stopped picking them up a couple years ago when I switched to mainly bags.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread