HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marking coins is looked down upon here. But for marking the wrapper is ideal. :thumbsup:

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
That's a no-no because there are collectors that might want the coin. Also, it doesn't help you, the CRH at all.
To answer your question, yes there are a few inconsiderate CRH'ers that do it and you will find red Kennedy's, red marks in the ear on the obverse, etc.
If you re-wrap your coins, its okay to mark the wrapper.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....and I was just wondering? What do you plan to accomplish by doing this?

By the way if you are caught marking your dump rolls with terms such as "64" "walker" "bens" etc you will have the Bicenteniall curse sent upon by every CRHer known and unknown from across this great country.

good luck in these lean silver times

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

Well I have to confess, I never did until the last boxes I got, forgive me :(, but the way I did, was to take a brown sharpie and run a faint line down the edge, not on the obverse or the reverse of the coin, and to my suspicion, the next boxes I got had about 60% of the coins I marked, so it tells me that I got back 60% of my dumps :( .....I agree, to mark a coin on the face is bad voodoo

...and as far as just marking the paper rolls, that doesn't work for me, because the banks don't keep 'em, several tellers have told me, when I asked 'em what they do with 'em, they all said they take 'em out of the rolls, bag 'em and turn 'em in to the car company, so they don't keep 'em

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
Piercesdad said:

By the way if you are caught marking your dump rolls with terms such as "64" "walker" "bens" etc you will have the Bicenteniall curse sent upon by every CRHer known and unknown from across this great country.

What's accomplished?
If you see your "special" mark, you don't even open the rolls. They go straight to the dump bank.

I learned to recognize other people's mark on the wrappers too. When I see those, I won't open them except to kill time and look for NIFC or 1987's.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a brown sharpie!!!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

taropatch said:
Piercesdad said:

What's accomplished?
If you see your "special" mark, you don't even open the rolls. They go straight to the dump bank.

I learned to recognize other people's mark on the wrappers too. When I see those, I won't open them except to kill time and look for NIFC or 1987's.

ALL the rolls I get are machine wrapped, unfortunately I've never gotten hand rolls, they just don't exist around this neck of the woods, or at the least Extremely rare.....so looking for a "special" mark on the wrapper doesn't apply

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

Piercesdad said:
Not a brown sharpie!!!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

The rationale behind a brown sharpie, is it's hardly noticeable, I've gotten marked coins before, with big black check marks and red check marks on the face, and I think it's no good....brown blends in, without blatantly defacing the coin, and it gives me feedback as to wether or not I'm searching my own dumps

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa Patch!

Feel free to write on your roll wrappers. JUST DO NOT MARK COINS. feel free to Keith, Brian, Mike, Trevor, or even Jack your coins, just dont MARK your coins.

sorry I've been drinking out of a mason jar all night

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
justa lol applle pie shine

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Yes, I mark my coins. I drill a hole starting at the neck of
the Eagle and don't stop until the drill bit reaches the the
outer point of the stars.

The funny thing is I never get them back. :tard:

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
mistergee said:
here we go again........ :BangHead:

I've even seen proofs and NIFCs marked. Even if you don't collect them, try being considerate of others; for many on this forum do collect those obscure coins.

Everyone repeat after me:

"Mark the wrapper, not the coin".

Have a good weekend all.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
No way am I gonna get sucked into THIS debate again!! My view has been well established.
Piercesdad and his "shine" cracked me up! Careful there....you'll start missing the good 'uns!
- Grizz

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey don't forget about the "Elvis halves" I found awhile back, wonder if anyone else got them, after I dumped em

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
taropatch said:
Piercesdad said:

What's accomplished?

thats a ridiculous way of searching. everyone whom CRH knows that wrappers get reused all the time. I have pulled silver out of many "marked" rolls before.
Hell ive even pulled silver out of my own "marked rolls" like a month later and like 5 towns over.
Rule of thumb. Neveerr assume there is no silver in the rolls reguardless of what the marking is,

and as far as the rolls being marked 64, walker, ben. i have done that many times b/c it gets done to me. Nice way to discourage a big hunter in your area.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO not this topic AGAAAAIIINNNNNNN.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Must... distract.... self.... read a book! :icon_study: .... drink coffee :coffee2: ...

ahhh coin marking!

~Dave

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

ugotit22 said:
taropatch said:
Piercesdad said:

What's accomplished?

thats a ridiculous way of searching. everyone whom CRH knows that wrappers get reused all the time. I have pulled silver out of many "marked" rolls before.
Hell ive even pulled silver out of my own "marked rolls" like a month later and like 5 towns over.
Rule of thumb. Neveerr assume there is no silver in the rolls reguardless of what the marking is,

and as far as the rolls being marked 64, walker, ben. i have done that many times b/c it gets done to me. Nice way to discourage a big hunter in your area.

I can only speak of how it's done around my parts, I have to re-roll, my banks won't accept loose coins, and there are no coin counters available, so what I've been told,at several banks, I dump, they have to tear down all the rolls and bag 'em, the car company won't take rolled coins, they have to be in bags....so my roll wrappers Don't get re-used, and since all the banks around here never have customer hand rolls, I order, and those come in your standard $500 machine wrapped boxes, and the way I marked my coins, if you weren't looking for it, you'd probably not notice it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread