Do You Ever Feel...

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
....Guilty?

Hi, First post here, happy I found this forum. One thing is bothering me. Ever since that story of the woman, the teller, and the gold coins. (sorry this is long)

I went to my bank looking for halves. My teller did not, but teller next to her said someone brought in a bunch earlier that day. Teller took out a bank envelope of them and spread them out on the counter. I saw some silver, and said I would take them all. She gave them to my teller who carefully counted them on the counter. It took a long time. I was barely looking at what she was doing. I was just hoping she would finish counting them already and I could go and find out what I had. This guy comes up to me and says "some of those are silver", and I said "I know", and he says it again. I just wanted him to go away and not tell the tellers, *lol*. Maybe that was wrong? They could have heard him too, I don't know. Anyway, he came over again and said it, but I didn't want to talk to him. He then sat down. They finally counted the coins which was around $50 worth. On the way out, the guy says, "so what did you get" and I told him the truth, that I didn't know, but I did see an early date. I left. Don't know what he did, he was still sitting there.

It turned out that I had almost $40 of silver. Most 40% & 90% Kennedy, some Walkers & Franklins. I had to look everything up, I didn't know what a Walker and Franklin were.

Should I have told the tellers there was silver? Since it was my bank, I felt bad I didn't say anything. What if it was someone old who dropped them off, or whatever? I thought about returning them, but I was worried in this world it would just cause me a lot of scary hassle. I went in the next day or so and the same teller was nice to me, but the younger one who originally had them was not as nice. I waited for them to say something, but they didn't, so I let it go.

Another time after that, I went to a bank asked for halves. They handed me a roll. I went to my
car, opened them up and they were all Kennedy '64 in good condition. I didn't feel guilty,
because it wasn't my bank, and I didn't see the coins before, and so on.

So, anyway, should I feel bad? It was a lot of silver at one time. I am probably
stupid, this is the nature of coin roll hunting. It's just after that story of that woman, the
teller, and the gold coins, I feel guilty about that particular score.

Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, people dump their collections all the time. It's all about who gets to it first. As soon as they dump the coins, it's fair game to anyone. You did the right thing by not flaunting your silver score, which most of CRH's don't until they get into the car (giggity). It was no business of that man to come up to you and acknowledge your silver score the way he did, as it was your private transaction.

In the end, don't feel guilty. This is typical for CRH'ers. :thumbsup: And welcome to TNet!

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
No guilt. I think the difference between finding silver while CRH is that they're in circulation. That situation with the woman out West was different. First of all Gold is $800-$900 an ounce, silver is $10-$15 an ounce. BIG difference. Secondly, people can and do still spend, receive, deposit silver coins. It's a rarity that someone "inadvertantly" does that with a gold coin, but we have seen it happen once here because it was found in a roll of nickles I belive.

Don't feel guilty about your score and contratulations.

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Some people don't know the value of the coins, or
don't care when they deposit them. They are just
putting money in the bank. To them it might not be
worth it for them to go to a coin store to see.

If you would have brought them back the tellers
would have kept them or sold them to someone
else.

Its' the thrill of the hunt and the size of the booty
That counts. The guilt will go away.

If this sounds insensitive I am sorry it wasn't
meant to.

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
I would never flaunt. I always wait until I get into the car to search, or search
at home. I have not been able to get a box of halves yet. No one around here will order them
for me, so I can only get what the tellers have. Thank You, I appreciate the help.

HolyDiver said:
IMO, people dump their collections all the time. It's all about who gets to it first. As soon as they dump the coins, it's fair game to anyone. You did the right thing by not flaunting your silver score, which most of CRH's don't until they get into the car (giggity). It was no business of that man to come up to you and acknowledge your silver score the way he did, as it was your private transaction.

In the end, don't feel guilty. This is typical for CRH'ers. :thumbsup: And welcome to TNet!

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
alabamadan said:
No guilt. I think the difference between finding silver while CRH is that they're in circulation. That situation with the woman out West was different. First of all Gold is $800-$900 an ounce, silver is $10-$15 an ounce. BIG difference. Secondly, people can and do still spend, receive, deposit silver coins. It's a rarity that someone "inadvertantly" does that with a gold coin, but we have seen it happen once here because it was found in a roll of nickles I belive.

Don't feel guilty about your score and contratulations.

Thanks for the Congrats, and I will try not to feel guilty about it. I haven't really CRHed since
I read that story. I went today to 4 banks for the first time in a long time, but I didn't score anything. I was only able to get a combined $3.00 worth of newer halves.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
HolyDiver said:

Loved the 'giggity' line. I am in my head imagining Quagmire getting a silver score and saying it. You're the man for putting that image in my head.

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
No, it doesn't sound insensitive, it sounds like you're a better business person
than me, *lol*. I've only been CRH since January. It's a great hobby, you
guys in here are real pros! Rydales? Wow! I might have to get into pennies.
I wish I could order boxes of coins, that would be easier than being at the mercy
of the tellers.

OmegaMan said:
Some people don't know the value of the coins, or
don't care when they deposit them. They are just
putting money in the bank. To them it might not be
worth it for them to go to a coin store to see.

If you would have brought them back the tellers
would have kept them or sold them to someone
else.

Its' the thrill of the hunt and the size of the booty
That counts. The guilt will go away.

If this sounds insensitive I am sorry it wasn't
meant to.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
ultimately it's a win win situation. The person rolls their old coins to get them in the bank and pay bills, earn interest...and you get silver!

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just keep building a relationship with the head teller to get boxes. Mine now just orders a couple of boxes for me each time she orders some. She actually said last week I'll order you a couple more for next week, I said could you just order two each trip and she said "sure." I carried her some Peeps for Easter. It's about time for something else I think.

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks for the thumbs up Rich, and the support FingerGrime & dandow20.
I hope the person who brought them in has some good luck in something else.
The people here have made me feel better about it.

alabamadan, I've spoken to the head tellers. It worked once. The head teller went into
the safe and got me 400 halves. I had to go get a container. I got some 40%
and one Franklin. I think she took out the 90%, and just missed the Franklin. The same
teller will not order them for me. I've been to other banks in the area, and no one will
order halves. I'll keep trying though. I am going to try a set of different towns
next week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread