Got the bank to order cent boxes for me!

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Last Saturday I received a 09D (first one) in change I asked her how many she had/ would sell me and said she could only sell me 4 rolls "I'll take them!" I saw a full box and the partial she was using so that's two boxes of them. Then I asked her what bank they used (VERY small town like 500 people max) and they told me so AWAY I go! Was able to buy four boxes with the money I had on hand and all were 2009 D Now we are at 6 boxes in this town. Asked for more after I hit the ATM and she called the manager who told her no since they would run low, BUT they would order me AS MANY AS I WANTED! I'm not even a customer there. Got to love small southern towns. So I called the main branch in the BIG town down the road (big town =700 people) and ordered 20 boxes. The lady was shocked "You know that's $500 right?" lol.

So here is my question. I know for a FACT they had at least 6 boxes. The 4 I got + the two the gas station had. I suspect the other 6 boxes they did not let me get were also 2009. What do you think the odds are that I will get a good number of 2009D?

My Theory is that these towns use so many pennies (The gas station lady told me they average a roll an hour) that is has run their supply depot out so now they will be mostly new pennies. If I keep them ordering 20 boxes a week I should get a good number of them and MAYBE even score the NEW NEW 09 Early Years Penney with in a good amount of time while the price is still 400+ a box on eBay.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments? Let me have it.

Also wish me luck in getting some. The profit will go to do some much needed house repairs on the "money pit" of a house my wife bought.

Thanks,
Michael

Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes perfect sense.....your location compared to Denver. But it still doesn't explain how or why they reach this small town and not a larger area. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Cherryman68

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
HolyDiver said:
Makes perfect sense.....your location compared to Denver. But it still doesn't explain how or why they reach this small town and not a larger area. :icon_scratch:

Only thing I can figure is Demand finally caught up with supply. This area does not have many banks and they use a lot of change. The town I work in is 20 miles north and only 6000 people but there are 6 banks and none of them have any yet.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Only because I'm being nice today.

Goto another bank, buy some boxes of pennies that are sealed.

Go back to the bank (and store too) and ask them if you can swap out your SEALED boxes of used pennies for their 2009 boxes. Open an account if you have to (that one will almost always get you the one time break).

Pay it forward....

OP
OP
Cherryman68

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
XX said:
Only because I'm being nice today.

Goto another bank, buy some boxes of pennies that are sealed.

Go back to the bank (and store too) and ask them if you can swap out your SEALED boxes of used pennies for their 2009 boxes. Open an account if you have to (that one will almost always get you the one time break).

Pay it forward....

Man that's the FIRST thing I tried but they would not go for it. Apparently they don't want "diffrent" boxes.....

Thanks for the thought though! I just found where they are coming from so I'm going to hit several banks in that area to see what I can come up with. Maybe some of them will let me buy and trade.

Thanks for the advise!

Michael

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
09 pennies in TX are convuluted this year. All the boxes of 09's down here in Houston are P's. Never happened before!
I got some in up in east TX and they are D's which is normal.
Your best odds are to find a bank that wll order you boxes on a weekly basis and you might get lucky. :wink:
Prices on ebay have really dropped in the last week. Hope you sell some before the market gets saturated any more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread