Expert CRH Advice Needed for These "Tough Economic Times"

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Expert CRH Advice Needed for These "Tough Economic Times"

Hey Bandits, I have made the terrible mistake to have watched TV recently and what I saw was troubling. With what is going on, where would you experts put your money. I have a big pile of silver(which hasn't gone anywhere recently),a smaller pile of AU and a few oddities.
Would you add to the silver stash, the AU stash, collectible coins,or should I just send it to LJ for safekeeping? I want to maximize my efforts at CRHing but I am building for an uncertain future. I can't rely on the Chinese economy to need all of my silver.
Okay there it is in a nutshell. What do youse guys and gals think about amassing some more coins or whatever. Thanks in advance, Jim

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Re: Expert CRH Advice Needed for These "Tough Economic Times"

Silver has a higher ratio return per dollar invested than gold. Stick with silver. Old coin silver used to be good but I find bullion taking a shift towards the better investment these days.

Numismatic gold coins are also a VERY good long term investment. Pay premiums for rare coins and throw them in the save for a decade and you can't go wrong. You get the AU rise and the the coin rise out of it.

~Dave

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007

great question...

Here is my OWN personal opinion and I am sure it is going to stir up some debate. I believe the silver and gold market are topped and stagnant. There is no explanation for silver to be where it is. Certain events stop it from climbing higher. There was a large silver purchase from china last week that should have drove the price higher, unfortunetly there is too many investors willing to dumb it off at the first chance they get, thus keeping the price stable or even lowering it.

I believe the real possible steady growth is in RARE coins and key date coins. Look at the 1877 Indian Head penny in "COINS" price guide April 2009 it books in G4 $950, Feb. 2008 it booked in G4 $700. A $250 increase in 12 months that is a 36% gain. THAT IS HUGE!!!

Here is some other example of coins from one year ago to today prices, these were all mentioned in an article in "Numismatic News" January 2009

2008 2009
1793 Half cent $2,350 $3,150
1923S lincoln cent $2.50 $3.95
1933D Lincoln cent $1.00 $5.50
1796 Quarter $39,500 $49,500
1804 Quarter $3,950 $4,950
1913S Barber Quarter $300 $1,850

These are just a wide range of samples that have ALL out performed Silver and Gold in the past year and also prior years. Take any of these coins and do a five year chart they all have out performed silver.

Again this is just my opinion and if you are serious about moving investments around this would be my suggestions, history has proved itself.

Jason

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

Jason makes a good suggestion as well. It is the same reason I suggested rare gold coins... you get a GOOD bullion... gold... out of it as well as the numismatic value.

Indian head pennies and such give you purely the numismatic premium and no bullion... unless copper becomes really really really really in demand. =)

But they are still a good investment... a lot of what you should invest in come fromes how much you are looking to invest, and what you like personally.

~Dave

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

There really is no right answer. It all depends on your specific economic conditions.

1. Are you retired or still working?

2. Are you debt free?

3. How much money do you have to invest?

My personal view is that you would not be wise to invest more than a very small percentage into RARE coins. Sure, some of them might have done well in certain time periods, but you have to find a buyer to sell. Some coins have gone down in the same time periods. One of my coin dealers was trying to tell me I should get some rare Buffalo nickel that was approx 22K a few years ago and now it's only 4K. I am thinking, I feel sorry for the dumba$$ who buys a nickel for 22K. Rare coins is a fickle business. You cannot gauge it year to year and expect the same gains consistently. You cannot do that with anything really.

If you have money you can lose then gamble on rare coins. I am very much into gold and silver bullion, probably way more than a person should be percentage wise. I would not recommend that for anyone else. But Warren Buffet had a quote attributed to him something like, "if you are right, there is no need to diversify", or something like that.

I believe for myself that gold and silver will take off sometime between now and 5 years from now. I do not watch the day to day prices, nor let the effect of the alleged manipulated markets get me down. But again, this is my own personal view.

If I were giving advice to somebody, I would say first get out of debt (maybe not possible on a mortgage, but everything else for sure). Keep the silver and gold you already have. Stay out of the stock market unless you are in for the loooonnng haul (even then I would stay out, but many people repeat the long haul mantra).

I have no stocks myself right now. Maybe play some ETFs (natural gas). In fact, do your own due diligence on natural gas right now. Prices are WAY low and people will always need it. I am watching it and waiting for a bottom. A pure play ETF on natural gas is UNG. Check it out for yourself. I may play it myself.

Cash is king. If you are not sure, keep your money in safe (relative term) cash investments (CDs, etc).

Jim

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

jim4silver said:
Cash is king. If you are not sure, keep your money in safe (relative term) cash investments (CDs, etc).

Jim

Cash is king until the flood of newly printed monopoly money hits the economy and inflation kicks in. When that happens, your capital will be safe with PMs.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

You know better than to watch the "one eyed monster". Personally I try to keep myself in enough coin to search as to not have time for TV so get more bags haha. Right now with the gold and silver ratio at about 70:1 I would mainly stick to silver, when the ratio goes back to 50:1 or below trade some silver into gold. HH Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions