My best penny find to date. :-)

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I marked my wheats into my record book today, since I went through a lot of pennies this week. Good news is that I had a few that are not yet in my Whitmans, so they are new to me. And one was a great find, IMO.

I found a 1922 Penny. At first, I was pretty excited, as there was no D on it. The price is WAY up there for a 1922 plain! Then I got my magnifiying glass out, and STILL there was no D on it. Woohoo!

Finally, after looking at it and turning it and trying all sorts of things, in one direction, with the coin turned 90 degrees to the right, I could FAINTLY make out that there WAS a D on it. But it was VERY weak.

The rest of the coin is easily readable, so this is not just a coin that is worn down. It is a weak D coin. And I looked at the books, and sure enough that year there was a weak D and a no D (even weaker!) and both are pretty tough to find.

So I have my SECOND 1922 penny. The first one has a visible D on it, but this one is very weak. And I think that is cool. :-)

I also had a 1910 and a 1911 in the stack from this week. PLus a few others that I needed for one of my Whitman's. I am working on 5 of the old Whitman books, so I need 5 of every year and mint to get full books. The first one is getting fuller, but the last one is pretty scarce before 1939. I'll keep working on it though. It is great to add coins I didn't have in a book bvefore, and that makes the hobby more fun than "just" taking out thousands of wheats and a few IHs - plus about 3 tons of copper so far.

And I like my 1922 weak D penny. :-) Even more than my 1909 VDB that I got last year (NO S though!)

Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a sweet find, congrats

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Yes, but have you found a 1909 VDB yet??

PS. I'm just jealous. Congrats.

oracle

Nov 1, 2008
MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Nice find on the 1922 weak D. I agree it's more fun trying to fill a couple of albums with different dates and mintmarks than just throwing the wheaties in a jar. I'm working on two right now, one from CRH and one from metal detecting and since I look for die varieties (some are worth a lot) I don't go through a lot of volume. Congrats on a great find.

HH
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread