Done With Silver For A Little While

tnfishdaddy

Oct 12, 2005
Upper East Tennessee
I gave up searching silver about a year ago because of all the skunks. Recently got back into it and have been coming up with nothing. I enjoy the hunt but it is nice to find a "prize" every now and then. I think I am going to hunt pennies for a while. I have always enjoyed finding wheaties in my change. I know I am not going to get rich with pennies like you can with silver but I need to have some success or I will lose interest again. Any good hints or trick for finding lots of wheaties?

Upvote 0

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Search, Search, and did I mention Search.

mountainman 2 said:
customer rolls
Just my opinion, I have better luck searching "fed" boxes. Yes customer rolls have the chance for the dream rolls but they are few and far between.

I consistantly have good luck with "fed" boxes. And with over 500 boxes under my belt since Jan. 09 I know some what what is going on. :thumbsup:

All of my Indian Heads and Flying Eagles were found in "fed" rolls...

Good Luck,
Jason

OP
OP
tnfishdaddy

tnfishdaddy

Oct 12, 2005
Upper East Tennessee
Just got home with $25 worth of customer rolls to search through this weekend. I didn't want to overwhelm myself this weekend since I have baseball games all day tomorrow to coach. Kids are cutting into my searching time. :wink: Of course, they are old enough to help me search now so maybe I should have jumped in with a bigger bunch. My credit union doesn't get fed boxes but one of my other banks will get all I need.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shake-N-Bake said:
Search, Search, and did I mention Search.

mountainman 2 said:
customer rolls
Just my opinion, I have better luck searching "fed" boxes. Yes customer rolls have the chance for the dream rolls but they are few and far between.

I consistantly have good luck with "fed" boxes. And with over 500 boxes under my belt since Jan. 09 I know some what what is going on. :thumbsup:

All of my Indian Heads and Flying Eagles were found in "fed" rolls...

Good Luck,
Jason
I've found several large stashes of wheat cents from customer rolls.One about a year ago was over 1600 wheats from a single stop at one bank. If it's not silver, most people don't care.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I agree with Shake.
Customer wrapped rolls aren't magic.
Sometimes you get lucky.
Most of the time they are stickier, gummier, dirtier and hairier than machine wrapped.
They also have more dimes.
Volume is the key. Bags are also good and quicker to search because you don't have to unwrap.

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally like boxes you avg about 4 per box, last week i hit a dream box with 114 why all of em where in there i don't know. i do a couple boxes of pennies a week and a few dime boxes just so i can get some silver the avg for my dime boxes here are two per box they don't add up fast but i stopped doing halves cuz i kept getting MARKED dumps. but a least i get some silver and wheats hardly ever a skunk with dimes a pennies.
PIP

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Pipster said:
I personally like boxes you avg about 4 per box, last week i hit a dream box with 114 why all of em where in there i don't know. i do a couple boxes of pennies a week and a few dime boxes just so i can get some silver the avg for my dime boxes here are two per box they don't add up fast but i stopped doing halves cuz i kept getting MARKED dumps. but a least i get some silver and wheats hardly ever a skunk with dimes a pennies.
PIP
wow you only average 4 per box? I think I would stop searching with only 4 per box. I usually average 15 to 20 per box.

the 114 was someone dumping a penny supply of wheats, usually when I see that the boxes on the same day are also decent. For example the other day my first box was real good around 100, then ended up scoring 1,300 wheats out of the 20 boxes I did that day.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been getting about 12-14 wheats per box, 4 per box would definately not be worth it to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions