Cant get this darn magicians coin open

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
Can't get this darn magician's coin open

I found another what I'm pretty positive is a magician coin - The reverse is rotated 90 degrees, coin machine rejected it, and it sounds hollow.

I've tried putting it in mason jar and shaking it around, dropping it on the counter from a few inches, screaming at it, swearing at it. I forget what the other suggestions were to get them open anyone care to share any tips? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Re: Can't get this darn magician's coin open

That could be the one I super glued shut. Try heating it up some how.

Golden Silver

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's what worked for me...

Hold the coin on-edge, between your index/middle finger and thumb. Press firmly and look for the very slight gap that willl form where the two machined pieces go together. Hook a fingernail on the edge which will be slightly raised and lift it open.

Robin

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

I had one I didn't catch. My dump bank saw it in the reject bin, and the guy told me it was a fake. Then, he grabbed it and thrw it as hard as he could on the floor. It burst open.

Try that. Thrwos it down on a tile or concrete floor as hard as you can. :-)

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009

What is inside a Magician's Coin?

Seagates said:
I found another what I'm pretty positive is a magician coin - The reverse is rotated 90 degrees, coin machine rejected it, and it sounds hollow.

I've tried putting it in mason jar and shaking it around, dropping it on the counter from a few inches, screaming at it, swearing at it. I forget what the other suggestions were to get them open anyone care to share any tips? :icon_scratch:

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50

hyaci said:
What is inside a Magician's Coin?

It depends....sometimes a Mexican Centavos, sometimes a British Half Penny, sometimes they are just doubled heads or double tails, sometimes they have multiple coins hidden inside.

I've posted these series of pictures a bunch so sorry for posting them again.

Attachments

• DSC00373.JPG
    DSC00373.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 502
  • DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • DSC00375.JPG
    DSC00375.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 505
  • DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 512
  • DSC00373.JPG
    DSC00373.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 531
  • DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 550
  • DSC00375.JPG
    DSC00375.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 497

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009

Thank You for posting them again, I appreciate it.
Those are pretty cool.

OP
OP
Seagates

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009

jrf30 said:
I had one I didn't catch. My dump bank saw it in the reject bin, and the guy told me it was a fake. Then, he grabbed it and thrw it as hard as he could on the floor. It burst open.

Try that. Thrwos it down on a tile or concrete floor as hard as you can. :-)

Well I tried boiling the coin and all that did was get water on the inside hollow part, I finally got fed up with it and threw it as hard as I could onto the floor. The only thing that managed to do was make a huge flat spot on one side and get a bit of water on the floor :-[. I think I give up on getting this one open.

XX

Jan 11, 2008

True professionals use a "Bang Ring" to open them without damaging them.

Throwing them on the floor damages them.

Shaking them in a jar is the closest you'll get to opening them without damaging them (although I have broken one mason jar with this method).

I plan on saving up a $10 roll of these and then selling them on Ebay as a lot, so I really don't care to damage them, but I do want to check what's inside first.

These retail for about $30 new. They get into circulation for two main reasons

1. Some amateur magician keeps one in his pocket and accidentally spends it or
2. It's worn out and the owner spends it rather than throwing it away.

I figure a roll of 20 of these for the price of one is just the thing for a novice magician who wants these to practice his
style/moves prior to purchasing the real thing. Everytime the coin is opened, there's a little more wear and tear. A professional would consider the coin worn out if you can easily spot the line where the two halves meet or you can rotate the two halves.

Now, if you don't care about slightly damaging the coin and obviously aren't interested in spending 10 dollars on a bang
ring just to satisfy curiosity, you can

take a pair of vice grips (not the straight variety) and apply the ever so slightest pressure on the rim of the coin, then slam the vice grips down
on the table. it may take a couple tries to do it while using the least amount of pressure in the vicegrips. The inside half will fall out and the outside half will stay in the vice grips. The outside halve will have indentations from the vice grip and if you used too much force to squeeze the vice grips closed, the outer half will be slightly distorted.

Enjoy

Ryedale

Feb 3, 2007
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

DONT GIVE UP...

If you can get water into the hollow part, then hold it level (flat like a dish or plate) and place it on the rack in your freezer, the expanding water/ice should push off the plug part.

Let us know.

Andy

OP
OP
Seagates

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009

Ryedale said:
DONT GIVE UP...

If you can get water into the hollow part, then hold it level (flat like a dish or plate) and place it on the rack in your freezer, the expanding water/ice should push off the plug part.

Let us know.

Andy

Excellent idea, why didn't I think of that!!!

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009

What is the best way to tell if it is a magician's coin, if
the two sides are not the same? Thanks.

OP
OP
Seagates

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009

hyaci said:

First one I found the back was rotated on it and was moving when i flipped it. 2nd one the coin machine rejected it and i heard the hollow sound that they make. They don't sound like silver or clad they just sound hollow.

The freezing the water inside the coin didn't work there was definitely some water inside the coin, I let it sit in a bowl of water and seen the air bubbles coming up, apparently it didn't expand enough to push it apart - good idea though.

I may try the oil method next.

XX

Jan 11, 2008

Seagates said:
hyaci said:

First one I found the back was rotated on it and was moving when i flipped it. 2nd one the coin machine rejected it and i heard the hollow sound that they make. They don't sound like silver or clad they just sound hollow.

The freezing the water inside the coin didn't work there was definitely some water inside the coin, I let it sit in a bowl of water and seen the air bubbles coming up, apparently it didn't expand enough to push it apart - good idea though.

I may try the oil method next.

Oil contracts when you put it in the freezer.

Working off the water idea, you can next heat just a think layer of oil on the stove, then add the coin. Don't do this with a glass lid, only with a metal lid. If you're lucky, it may have a reaction similar to popcorn.

Personally, if you are getting water inside it, I think it should separate with the rattling in a glass jar. I've gotten even the tightest coins apart with that method. You just have to shake hard. Often times, people don't shake it hard enough because it feels dangerous to shake so hard, but it works.

OP
OP
Seagates

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009

I wouldn't even know where to dump a hand rolled roll. All of the banks around here that I have accounts with have coin machines.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro

alabamadan said:
Just roll it back up and dump it.

My banks all have coin counters also. Seems like everytime it spits out a magician coin, so I just buy a coke in the lobby and pay with it. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread