40% silver fundamentals

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Sitting With Liberty said:
According to coinflation, there is 2 dollars worth of silver in a 40% Kennedy. Why aren't rolls of 40% Kennedy's going for $40.00?

Well that $2 per coin changes daily & is right now at that point, last week was $1.72; the price floats with Silver Spot price. It takes 7 %40'ers to make an ounce of Silver so right now Silver at $14 (thereabouts) makes each coin $2 each.

OP
OP
S
Feb 10, 2008
USA
Right..so I am checking ebay and the latest auctions after the price of silver's close on Friday is around 34-35 dollars. Even when silver hit close to 20 I don't remember the 40 % coins going up dramtically....

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
According to coinflation, there is 2 dollars worth of silver in a 40% Kennedy. Why aren't rolls of 40% Kennedy's going for $40.00?

Lower percentage silver products are not as favored by refiners. I have been told that generally anything less than 80% pure is deeply discounted when sold to them. I doubt many 40%ers are finding their way to refiners nowadays.

The only reason 40%ers are bringing the (high) price they are is because of investment demand for Junk bags. If investor demand drops so will the amount you can get to sell them.

From what I have heard and read, premiums on 90% and 40% junk bags have begun to drop a bit.

I know the premiums on .999 have been coming down recently as well.

Jim

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
People will typically not pay full price. There has to be something in it for them as well. Good luck ever getting "full price" for 40%ers. I think that getting 2 or 3 times what I paid for something is freakin awesome and if you look at coinflation they have a good idea on the range that people will pay for any of these coins. HH all.

OP
OP
S
Feb 10, 2008
USA
Thanks. So what is best to do then? Should I convert the 40% I have into 90%? Would I be losing a lot in the total ounces of silver I have in the 40%?

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
My dealer pays spot for 40% all day long. Just look around. The more you look I could almost gurantee you that you will find someone to pay spot or over.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Thanks. So what is best to do then? Should I convert the 40% I have into 90%? Would I be losing a lot in the total ounces of silver I have in the 40%?

Tough to say what is best. Everyone has their own favorites. If I was going to convert it into anything it would be gold or .999 silver.

I would keep all my 90%ers that I find and save them. But I am not a big fan of buying 90%, at least not when the premiums are equal to or greater than .999 premiums.

If you are going to sell or trade them, you will probably get a higher premium if you have a good amount to sell, such as $100 face or more.

Jim

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
nyiangelo said:
My dealer pays spot for 40% all day long. Just look around. The more you look I could almost gurantee you that you will find someone to pay spot or over.

You are very fortunate. There are no local dealers here or online dealers I know if who are now paying $2.06 per half dollar (40%) right now.

Jim

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
Right..so I am checking ebay and the latest auctions after the price of silver's close on Friday is around 34-35 dollars. Even when silver hit close to 20 I don't remember the 40 % coins going up dramtically....

So after looking around on ebay as well It looks like the larger lots of like 2-6 rolls go for closer to spot (I would assume because the shipping charges are similar) however the fees on ebay are as everyone knows quite ridiculous and that would obviously eat into your margins. If you are looking to sell I'd try craigslist or calling around to local dealers to see who would pay the best. Obviously compare that to what you would estimate you'd net after fees on ebay,paypal,shipping and see what your best route is.

bag and drag

Jan 20, 2009
I sell all my 40%ers and some 90%ers on the bullion direct nucleo exchange.nucleo is real time trading and you can sell amounts as small as $10 face for a 1% commission plus shipping and have the option of cash or trading funds deposited into your account so you can buy what you wish.At this moment high bid on 40's is $38 per roll.heres the link https://www.bulliondirect.com/nucleo/

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awhile back my dealer was paying $2.25 for 40% halves

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
jim4silver said:

Tough to say what is best. Everyone has their own favorites. If I was going to convert it into anything it would be gold or .999 silver.

I would keep all my 90%ers that I find and save them. But I am not a big fan of buying 90%, at least not when the premiums are equal to or greater than .999 premiums.

If you are going to sell or trade them, you will probably get a higher premium if you have a good amount to sell, such as $100 face or more.

Jim

If you were to trade for Gold it would take MUCH longer for you to realize returns. With the Gold:Silver ratio hovering around 1:70 silver has a much better chance at doubling or tripling much faster than Gold would rise.

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I have been tracking numerous auctions the past couple weeks and if you add shipping cost to eBay auctions most end at least $40 per roll.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
So if I have a $10.00 roll of 1964 kennedy halves, how many ounces of silver do it have? 9 ounces because they are 90% silver?

Your 64's are 90% silver. But they don't weigh an ounce, so they are not .90 of a ounce of silver. Think about how much bigger the eagles are than a half. They are an ounce. :-)

The 1964 halves are 12.5 grams total. AN ounce is 31.1 grams. So 1964 (And earlier) halves have about .40 of an ounce in total weight. Take 90% of that, and you have .36 of an ounce of silver. With Silver at $13.80 per ounce (today) that is $4.99 in silver in a 1964 half. 20 of them ($10 worth) would be about $99.84.

On nucleo right now, the bid for $10 of 1964 halves (or other silver coins. NOt just halves) is $102.10, so a little ABOVE spot. The ask is $105. They hvae a 1% commission, so you net $101.

That's what you hvae in $10 of 1964 halves. :-)

Hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions