Whats Best ?

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Re: What's Best ?

depends on your definition of 'best.'

Consistency is in boxes.

Good scores are in hand rolls, although they are fairly consistent.

I'd choose hand rolls over boxes anyday because there's always that chance of the big score!!!

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008

for me I would say boxes, hand rolls are two inconsistent and I've goten over ten silver a few times out of boxes, once 12 merks one regular but test it out for your own area

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

Having found 4 silvers in my last 57 boxes, I say boxes suck. At least out here.

I had 54 skunks in those 57 boxes. Not good at all.

But hand rolls, I've been pretty lucky. I guess I get them before they go to wherever someone is pulling the silver out.

I think it may be someone at the rolling place. Not a conspiracy or something like that, but maybe one individual who does a great job getting the silver removed form coins that go into the hopper to be rolled and sent back out. There is almost NO silver here in AZ in boxes. OVer and Over I have seen that. Yet in hand rolls and loose coins that tellers have just gotten in and not sent out to the plant yet, I do okay.

And I now focus on pennies, and ask for the hand rolls when I pick up pennies. But 54 of 57 skunks told me to stop doing boxes of halves.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Thanks for your input.
I thimk I'll go with all-bags,handrolled, and boxes.

Rich

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Boxes are best for me, did them for a year and averaged 1 per $150. Also pulled 6 Barbers, and over 30 silver Canadians. FFD

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

The most I've ever found in a box is 3 or 4 and on average 1.

But doing hand rolls I have found entire rolls of silver 3 times now.

I also find lots of Canadian and penny's in hand rolls and some times they have been several coins short.

And when I return them to my dump bank and run them throuh their machine several will be counted as pennies.

Mojo

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I only score 1-2 per box.

Top Member Reactions